Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Flames  by Lindelea

After the hearing, Odovacar Bolger took the Thain aside. 'It will take some time to set up the great room for the feast,' he said. 'Shall we take a turn about the field?' Pippin nodded, and the twain, head of the Bolgers and head of the Tooks, walked out together, coming late to the feast, as a matter of fact, though Reginard, as steward, stepped into the breach and made sure that all ran smoothly in the Thain's absence.

Pippin sought Healer Woodruff. 'How's Ferdi?' he asked.

'He'll live, I think, no thanks to you and that Fredegar Bolger,' she said grimly.

'What about his arm?'

'His arm?' Woodruff asked, puzzled. 'It's broken, you knew that.'

'Will he shoot again?' Pippin said urgently.

Woodruff looked at him pityingly, then shook her head. 'I do not know what you are on about,' she said. 'I don't know if he will ever shoot again, and if by some miracle he does, the arm will never stand up to prolonged effort.'

'As in the tournament?' the Thain asked.

'Exactly,' Woodruff nodded.

Pippin sighed. 'I was afraid of that.'

'He'll lose his position, is what you're saying,' the healer said slowly.

'By tradition, the head of escort is the winner of the tournament,' Pippin said. 'It has always been that way.'

'Always?' the healer said ironically.

'Well, for so long that it doesn't matter just how long it has been,' Pippin answered. 'And for good reason. He has to be a good shot, so he can shoot the Thain should the Thain try to win his freedom.' The healer snorted.  'O all right, I made that part up,' Pippin said, 'but Ferdi is so set in tradition, he would not accept the position on any other terms. He'd see it as charity.'

'So... do you plan to pension him off?' Woodruff said soberly.

'That would be such a waste,' Pippin answered. 'I think I can make much better use of him... when will he be up?'

'Sooner than he ought, you can rest assured on that account,' Woodruff grumbled, and the Thain laughed.

'We Tooks lead you a merry dance,' he said.

'Not so merry,' she answered, 'but yes, you do indeed.'

'When may I speak with him?' the Thain persisted.

'Give him a week,' Woodruff said. 'He'll be chafing to be out of bed by then.'

Pippin inclined his head gravely. 'My thanks,' he said.

'You're welcome... I think,' Woodruff answered.

***

A week later, Pippin stopped by Ferdi's room first thing.

'I am sick to death of breakfast trays,' Ferdi greeted him. 'Did you come to set me loose from this prison?'

'Healer Woodruff has more say in that than I do,' Pippin answered. 'I came to ask a question.'

'A question?' Ferdi said.

'Yes,' Pippin answered, 'and I could not ask beforehand because Woodruff has been guarding you like a dragon watching over its hoard.'

'What question?' Ferdi asked.

'Were you with us when the spectators were testifying?' Pippin asked.

'I think so,' Ferdi answered. 'Everything grew rather confused while Hornblower was blowing his nose, but I heard most everything that went on before that.'

'Do you remember what Old Tom said?' Pippin questioned.

Ferdi thought back, then slowly began to recite, word-for-word, the old stable hobbit's testimony. Pippin listened, fascinated.

'I knew you had a phenomenal memory,' he said at last, 'but... how do you do that?'

'I remember all that I hear,' Ferdi said quietly. 'Sometimes it is a blessing.'

And other times... thought his cousin to himself. I wonder if he still hears the screams that rang out when the burning stables fell in on his uncle and his father. Somehow he was sure that Ferdi did.

'You're wasted as escort,' Pippin said now. 'I have much better use for you.'

'Do you?' Ferdi asked dryly. 'This doesn't have anything to do with my useless arm, does it?'

'We do not know that the arm will be useless,' Pippin said. 'But while it's healing, I could use those brains of yours... if you did not rattle them too much, anyhow.'

'What do you mean?' Ferdi said.

'I want you working for me, not just when I need an escort, but in the study, when folk are pouring out words at me, wanting me to listen and render a decision. I do listen, indeed, but I often wish I could go over it again...'

'And with me there...'

'Exactly,' Pippin said in satisfaction. 'I can hear it over again, word-for-word, and not worry that I'll miss something in the recollection.'

'Ah,' Ferdi said.

'Will you give it some consideration?' Pippin asked. 'I'll make it worth your while.'

'How much?' Ferdi asked shrewdly.

'As much as head of escort pays, and a little more to sweeten the pot,' the Thain answered. It wasn't much, considering the state of Tookland's treasury, though they'd made it through the Winter and Spring without starving, and another harvest would soon be upon them. Foot by foot, as he'd often heard Pippin say under his breath as that hobbit tackled yet another of an apparently unending set of problems.

Ferdi nodded. 'A fair offer,' he said. 'I'll take it.'

'Good,' Pippin said.

'When do I start?' Ferdi asked.

'Just as soon as I can persuade Woodruff to let you up,' Pippin said. 'There is one slight requirement for the job, however.'

'And what is that?' Ferdi asked.

'I have an unmarried sister,' Pippin said ruthlessly. 'I do hope you take my meaning.'

Pervinca? He had to marry Pervinca, to stay in Pippin's good graces? He could not help a shudder.

Pippin laughed, and Ferdi glared at him. 'Don't take it so, cousin,' the Thain said. 'I'm sure she'll grow on you.'

'Warts grow on you, too, but you won't find me seeking them out,' Ferdi said glumly.

'Well,' Pippin said, 'I'll send her in to you, you can have a little talk, get acquainted, and give me your answer at teatime.'

Ferdi didn't answer, and Pippin rose from the bed. 'I can see you're still a bit tired,' he said. 'Why don't you get some sleep? I'll have my sister bring you your second breakfast tray.'

Ferdi nodded miserably, then lay back and closed his eyes. He could not believe that Pip would do this to him.

***

Odovacar Bolger had stayed over after the pony races, for Pimpernel and her children were preparing to remove to Bridgefields just after Mid-year's day, now only a week away.

At early breakfast, he accepted the cup she poured for him and sipped before setting it on its saucer.

'My dear,' he began.

Pimpernel looked up with a bright smile. 'Yes, Odo?' she asked.

'It has been nearly a year since Rudi died,' he said.

Her smile dimmed as she nodded. 'Yes,' she said softly.

'You have borne up well, you have honoured his memory,' he continued.

'I did not do all that well at the beginning,' she said.

'Well...' he answered, 'considering your condition at the time, it was hardly surprising. But your family brought you through, and you and the child are well and strong now.'

'Yes,' she said.

'Tell me,' Odo said, 'are you looking forward to returning to Bridgefields?'

'Of course,' Pimpernel said. 'Some of the happiest years of my life were spent there.'

'You could stay here with your family, in the Smials, you know,' Odo said.

Pimpernel hesitated, then said, 'I cannot do that.'

'And why not?' Odo asked. When she did not answer, he covered her hand with his own.

'My dear,' he said gently. 'I saw your face when Ferdi's pony went down.'

She did not answer.

His look became distant, as he said reflectively, 'Do you know what Rudi told me, a long time ago?'

'No,' she said, her voice very small.

'He said... that he hoped you could learn to love him some day, for he feared your heart already belonged to another.' She did not speak. 'He had seen the glances passing between you and another hobbit here at the Smials, you see.' Pimpernel swallowed hard, and her eyes began to fill with tears.

'My dear, Rudi loved you more than his own life,' Odo went on.

'I know,' she whispered.

'You would not dishonour him, if you found happiness with another, with one you had loved since you were a child, only to be separated by your father's choice.'

'My father thought he was doing what was best,' Pimpernel said.

'I'm sure he did, child,' Odovacar said. 'I am sure he did. And now, I want you to do what is best.'

'And what is that?' she asked, raising her eyes to meet his.

He smiled. 'Haven't I just been telling you?' he asked. 'Listen to your heart, my dear. It knows what is true.'

There was a tap on the door, and at Odo's invitation, the Thain stuck his head in. 'Ah, Nelly-lass,' he said. 'I had hoped to find you here.'

'Where else would I be found, Pippin-lad?' she asked sharply.

'O I don't know, out and about, I suppose,' he said vaguely. 'I wanted to ask you a favour.'

'And that is...?' Pimpernel asked.

'I need to ride out this morning, with Hilly and Tolly, and Tolly was supposed to be watching with Ferdibrand. Ferdi's asleep at the moment, but... I don't suppose you could bring him his second breakfast tray, could you?'

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List