Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Trust a Brandybuck and a Took!  by Grey Wonderer

Merry's Doorway


There he stands in my doorway, clutching a very large stuffed rabbit who’s name is Errol. I have no idea why the rabbit’s name is Errol, but it is. He is looking at me with those green eyes of his and bitting his lower lip as he sways from foot to foot.

He won’t come in because I’ve told him not to do so. I’ve told him that I am going to sleep and that he is to go back to his room. I am going to sleep.  I have my eyes closed now, but I know he is looking at me. I can always tell when someone is staring at me and he is staring. He won’t come in but he hasn’t left yet. He is hoping that I will change my mind and let him sleep in here tonight, but I won’t.

I know if I let him come in this time, that I won’t be able to get rid of him. He and that large rabbit will be here every night taking up most of the room in my bed and squirming about and asking me questions. Not the rabbit of course, the child.

Peregrin Took will be in my bedroom for good and all if I let him. It is enough that he follows my every step all day long. I do not need him sleeping in my room. I am nearly grown now and shouldn’t be bothered with a four-year-old child. I am thirteen in fact which is very nearly grown even if adults don't know this, other lads do.

I am fairly certain that he is afraid of the dark and I know that he hates to sleep alone. I used to be afraid when I was five, but I out-grew that nonsense pretty quick. I used to bother my older cousin Frodo Baggins the way that Peregrin is bothering me now. I used to come into his room and get into his bed and he would protect me. Now I’m a big lad and I can protect myself. Now Frodo can sleep undisturbed. I will also sleep undisturbed as soon as Peregrin gives up and goes to bed. I am pretending to sleep now so he will go away.

I am much older now but I am, most certainly, not a baby-minder. I open one eye to a very small slit so that I can peek out and he is there. Still there in my doorway with that rabbit! I can’t see him too well because it is very dark and he is very small, but he is there. I can hear him sniffling and I know that he is probably crying, but I have to be strong. I have to hold my ground.  I must ignore him completely.

The small hobbit lad in the doorway sniffles again and then starts to turn around, dragging the feet of the big, stuffed rabbit behind him as he goes. I can hear sound of his tiny feet on the wooden floor as he leaves.  He is talking to the rabbit now. “It’s all right Errol. It’s not that dark. We’ll be fine. We don’t need that old Merry to sleep with us. We’re brave because I’m a big lad now.” The voice is shaky and unconvincing. If Errol the rabbit has any sense at all in that big stuffed head of his he knows that Pippin is lying.  They are in big trouble and Pippin knows that.

Sadly, I know how much trouble they are in too. “Pipsqueak?”

I hear the sounds of his feet as he runs to the door.  He is standing there waiting for me to say something more. “Yes, Merry? Did you call me? I was just g-going to my bed like you said for me to go before when I was here.”

“Get in here and bring that goofy rabbit with you,” I say, trying to sound grouchy.

More patter of feet thumping through my room and he sails into my bed faster than I would have believed was possible pulling the rabbit with him. He is instantly burrowing down under my blankets and putting his cold toes on my leg. “Now, you lay still and you don’t say anything because I am very sleepy. Do you understand, Pip?” I need to get things settled.

He is nodding now because I told him not to speak. I go on. “This is the only time I am letting you sleep in here so don’t get used to it. Do you understand?” More nodding and what might be a smile, but it’s too dark to tell. “Good, now go to sleep.”

He pulls in close to me while gripping the rabbit in his arms and snuggles. “I know I’m not ‘sposed to say nothing, Merry, but Errol wants to thank you for letting us stay. He was afeart of the dark.”

I sigh. “Well, Errol is only a rabbit and sometimes they do get frightened,” I say, playing along.

“Errol is sorry he’s lots of trouble and keeps you awake, Merry,” he says, softly. “I just, Errol just feels safer in here with you than in that other dark room.”

I am growing up because now I’m big enough to protect someone. I suppose that’s a good thing. “Tell Errol that I don’t mind and if he really is that scared, then he can sleep in here while he is visiting Brandy Hall as long as he’s quiet.”

“Oh, Merry, Errol is always quiet,” He says as if I should know this. I do know this but I wasn’t too sure that the Pipsqueak did.

“Good, then he can stay,” I say, thinking that is the end of it, but no, there’s more. With Peregrin Took there is always more.

“Merry?”

“What?”

“Are you asleep yet?”

“No.”

“Can I sleep here too or just Errol? Because I’m not very quiet sometimes and Pearl says I talk too much at night even after I’m not sposed to but I do cause I can’t help it, I just do. Can I Merry?” He stops to breathe and turns to face me in the dark with Errol the rabbit now between us. “Please?”

“Yes, Pip, you can stay too,” I say and I give him a hug because he is little and he needs me. 

The End





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List