Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Going, Going, Gone  by Lindelea

Chapter 7. Revisiting Some Old Haunts

Frodo was grieved by the fear he saw in Merry's eyes. 'I have not turned into a wraith, Merry,' he repeated patiently, tugging the glove back onto his unseen hand. He had steered the shaken Merry to a chair and then proceeded to try to convince his cousin that nothing had changed. Well, not much, anyhow.

'But you're... you're...' Merry stuttered.

'I don't know exactly what's happened to me, but I am still just the same as I always was,' Frodo said. 'I just look a little different.'

'A little!' Merry exploded. 'You don't "look" at all!' he said. 'How can you take this so calmly?'

'I suppose I've had more time to get used to it than you have,' Frodo sighed, his bandaged face falling. He shook his head, then raised it again. Merry had the feeling that Frodo's eyes were boring into his. 'What would you suggest I do?'

'You think this has something to do with the Morgul blade...' Merry fumbled. Frodo nodded, and he continued. 'But that wound was to your left shoulder! You say this started with the fingers of your right hand?'

Frodo nodded again, and spoke slowly, as if thinking aloud. 'I think, somehow, my claiming the Ring had something to do with it as well,' he said. 'Ah, how I curse my weakness! But it seems I am fit and truly punished for that lapse.'

'Lapse!' Merry said, catching his breath in a sob. 'O Frodo,' he said brokenly, marshalling once more all the arguments he'd brought to bear in Minas Tirith, to try to persuade his beloved older cousin that he had not failed in the Quest.

Frodo held up a gloved hand. 'Don't,' he said quietly. 'It's all over and done, anyhow, and there's no changing it.'

Merry took a deep breath and fought for control. He took Frodo's hands in his and gave a squeeze, which his cousin returned firmly. He thought furiously, his eyes on Frodo's hands. When he was sure his voice would be steady he said at last, 'Well, what about Strider? Could you send a message to him? "The hands of the King..." '

Frodo shook his head. 'Somehow I don't think this is the kind of thing that a little athelas will cure,' he said. 'And the Morgul blade was beyond Strider's power to heal, he said so himself. You remember how he deferred to Elrond.'

Merry's shoulders sagged. Elrond was gone from Middle Earth, passed over the Western sea in a white ship, never to return.

'Is there nothing to be done? What about his sons--they remain in Rivendell, don't they?'

Frodo was silent a moment, then said, 'I always got the impression they were more warriors than healers. I have sent a message to Strider; I thought that would be a good place to start. Minas Tirith has been dealing with the Shadow for a long time, and perhaps there is something about this in that ancient library there.'

'How long ago did you send it?' A message to Gondor would be a long time on the road.

'If he replies quickly, I'd expect an answer, if he has one, by mid-August. If Strider cannot help, I suppose Rivendell would be a last resort.'

Merry nodded. And if Rivendell could not help... He brought his hands down upon his knees with a slap. 'Well,' he said, 'I was forgetting why I came.'

'Why did you come?'

'Pippin's been called home to dance attendance on his father the Thain, and I was looking for a travelling companion.'

'Where are you going?' Frodo asked.

'I had a wish to see Tom Bombadil again; I thought you might like to come with me.'

Frodo surprised him by saying, 'You know, I've been cooped up here some weeks. It would be nice to get out of the house. Let me leave a note for Sam and Rose... would you mind if we leave well before the Sun arises?'

'No problem at all,' Merry answered. 'I often ride under the stars, myself.' He understood Frodo's reasons all too well.

***


The journey was quite pleasant, once they got out of settled parts. Merry became accustomed to his cousin's bandaged face, remembering only when he saw a look of pity cross the face of anyone they might meet on the road.

After one of these encounters, hearing Frodo sigh, he said, 'You know, cousin, with a tin cup you could make quite a lot of money as a beggar...'

'When I come to the end of my money, you mean?'

Merry chuckled. 'Right! It would save you all the trouble of selling Bag End again.'

Frodo laughed and said, 'Thank you, cousin. I'll keep it in mind.'

They stayed that night at Crickhollow. Sitting in front of the fire, sipping brandy, Merry said, 'The fastest way would be to go through the Old Forest.'

'Well, of course,' Frodo answered.

'You have no qualms about it?'

'Why should I? You weren't planning on any naps this time, or prolonged visits to Old Man Willow?' Merry shuddered, and Frodo apologized.

'That's all right,' Merry said. 'I just get this awful pain in my middle whenever I think of him... it... whatever.' He took a gulp of his brandy, spun the glass between his hands, then laughed suddenly. 'Too bad old Treebeard couldn't spare a few tree herders to keep the Old Forest in line,' he said. 'You don't suppose, if we spread a rumour about Entwives being seen near there...'

Frodo laughed. 'I wouldn't want to get an Ent angry with me.'

Merry sighed, looking into his glass. 'I suppose you're right.'

Despite any misgivings, the trip through the Old Forest was uneventful. Indeed, the trees seemed sleepier, Frodo was happy to note. Before teatime they were leaving the forest on the path that passed the waterfall and climbing the hill to Tom's house. The ponies raised their heads and whinnied, and they heard an answering voice.

Ho, Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadillo,
Blue is his coat and his boots are yellow.
Now come Brandybuck and the Ring-bearer
Riding their ponies to come ever nearer!
Goldberry, set out bread, be sure that there is plenty
We would not want to set our guests at table that was empty!

'Tom!' Frodo shouted joyfully as the singer came into sight.

'Frodo, my lad!' Tom answered. 'So you bypassed Old Man Willow this trip?'

'Yes, we thought it better to let him sleep,' Merry answered. Tom laughed long and heartily.

'Come along, then,' he cried, 'Supper's on the table! We've been expecting you, come soon as you are able!' Going before them, they heard him begin to sing,

Hey! Come merry dain! Sunny is the weather!
Hey! Come derry dain! Let us sing together!
Hobbits! Ponies twain! Hop along, my hearties!
Now let the fun begin! We are fond of parties!

He was answered by Goldberry's clear voice, flowing silver to meet them, and they found themselves raising their own voices in song to greet her. Frodo felt all the tightness of the past months ease, and he breathed a sigh of relief. He was glad he'd come.

When they sat at the table, Tom fixed Frodo with a bright eye. 'Hey, there!' he said, 'Frodo, there! Why cover you your face? Let us see eye to eye, eating in this fair place...'

Frodo said uncomfortably, 'Well, you see, Tom, I...'

'Take off the bandages, lad,' Tom said softly. 'For how can you eat with them?' Frodo slowly unwound the bandages. Merry gasped as his cousin became, to all appearances, headless, but Tom smiled and his shining blue eyes seemed to Frodo to stare straight into his own.

'You can see me, Tom?' he gasped, and his host laughed.

'Morgul spell can't fool these eyes, though you be clear as water,
We see you clear as can be seen, Tom and the River-daughter.'

Frodo looked to Goldberry, who nodded and smiled. He shook his head in wonder. 'You don't know what a relief it is... ' he said. 'I was beginning to doubt my own existence.'

Tom and Goldberry laughed gaily, and Merry, determined not to dampen his cousin's spirits, dove into the food, laughing and singing with the rest.

***

On the way back to Hobbiton, Merry spoke suddenly. 'Why do you suppose he could see you?'

'I don't know,' Frodo answered. 'But I remember that he could see me even when I was wearing the Ring. I just wish he'd know a way to make it so that other people can see me.'

'Oh, well,' Merry said, and stopped.

'What?' Frodo demanded.

'I was just thinking... whenever you get to feeling insubstantial, all you have to do is go visit Tom and Goldberry again.' A mischievous smile lit the corners of his mouth. 'You might think to ask me to come along,' he added. 'They set an awfully fine table!'

***

Author's Note from original posting:
I approach Tom Bombadil with fear and trepidation. Honestly, I was tempted to take a short cut (not to mushrooms, either) and have them going on their way, and then a break and them coming back, without ever portraying Tom and the River-daughter, but I "screwed myself up quick" as Samwise might say, so here's the result...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List