Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Going, Going, Gone  by Lindelea

10. Trip to Rivendell

Little Elanor was nearly six months old, and 1421 was passing to its autumn, when Frodo called Sam into the study.

'It will be Bilbo's Birthday in a few weeks, Sam,' he said. 'And he will pass the Old Took. He will be a hundred and thirty-one!'

'So he will!' said Sam. 'He's a marvel!'

'Well, Sam,' said Frodo, 'I want you to see Rose and find out if she can spare you, so that you and I can go off together. You can't go far or for a long time now, of course,' he said a little wistfully.

'Well, not very well, Mr Frodo.'

'Of course not. But never mind. We don't need to spend a long time at Rivendell, just go there and back again. It ought to be a quick trip, this time, now that we can take the Road. Tell Rose you won't be away as long as the last time, six weeks or so, certainly not above two months, and you'll come back quite safe.'

'We're going to Rivendell, Sir? I thought all the elves had left!'

Frodo smiled. 'No, not quite all. Celeborn did not go with Galadriel, and the sons of Elrond are still there. You didn't think they'd all gone off and left Bilbo to fend for himself, now, did you?'

'No, I suppose not,' Sam said.

Frodo was smiling, Sam could tell from his voice. 'Right, then! Let's get packing!'

***

This journey to Rivendell was much different from the last, and Sam enjoyed the clopping of the ponies' hoofs, the golden autumn sunshine, the bright leaves, clear days and crisp nights. Frodo's bandages were less obvious, muffled behind a scarf, and sometimes Sam could forget the sad fact that he would never again see his master's smile.

Part of the time they camped, for Frodo could be free and easy alone with Sam. When they stayed at an inn Frodo kept to their room, and Sam brought up dinner and drink, so that his master could unwind the bandages to eat in comfort. Even in Bree, he did not seek out Barliman Butterbur to talk over old times. The innkeeper, seeing the bandages, did not press his attentions upon Frodo, but added a good many comforts onto the dinner and breakfast trays.

As their ponies trotted or walked, they enjoyed long conversations, and equally long companionable silences. The miles slipped by, and soon they were crossing the Last Bridge, and not long after, the Ford. Frodo pulled up his pony after they forded the Bruinen, turning to look back at the opposite shore.

'No Black Riders to worry about this time,' Sam said, guessing his master's thoughts. The bandaged face turned towards him, and he heard Frodo's smile as he spoke.

'That's right, Sam. No need to disturb the river's sleep on this day.' He turned his pony again towards Rivendell, and Sam followed.

***

Sam was surprised, on reaching Rivendell, that Frodo did not immediately seek out Bilbo, though he asked after the old hobbit, almost the first thing after dismounting.

They were greeted warmly by the elves, but Sam fancied he saw a shadow of sorrow cross more than one face when they saw the bandages, and a knowing look passed between the sons of Elrond.

'Elrohir, it is good to see you. And Elladan.'

The two bowed, saying together, 'Ring-bearer. It is an honour to receive you.'

'I have come to see Bilbo,' Frodo said. 'I thought it a good time to congratulate him on passing the Old Took.'

'He is still with us, though he dreams more than he sings, these days. I can take you to him now,' one of the sons of Elrond said, smiling.

Frodo hesitated, and Sam looked to him in surprise. 'No,' he said quietly. 'Take me to Celeborn. I have some business I must discuss with him, first.'

'As you wish,' the son of Elrond bowed again, and led them into the Last Homely House.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List