Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

FireStorm  by Lindelea

Note to the Reader: I read somewhere, in Professor Tolkien's writings, that hobbit society had been in ancient times matriarchal in nature, and so it would not be surprising for the widow of the Thain to take such an important role in the raising up of a successor.

***

Chapter 6. Convocation of Tooks

The last breakfast course was cleared away, the servants placed freshly-filled, cosied teapots on the table, and the Tooks sat back to sip tea and await developments.

Eglantine Took rose from her chair, and the gossip began to quiet. As the wife of Thain Paladin, she had made peace with her lot: the necessity to retreat into her husband's shadow, raising her children and quietly directing the domestic affairs of the Great Smials. Few of the hobbits of Tookland knew how much she had tempered her husband's impulsiveness and anger, how her calm words of reason in the quiet of the evenings by the fireside had subtly guided him. Her husband had privately valued her opinion and sought it often; he had loved her deeply, turning his anger on all else but her, and she had used his love wisely to influence him for the good of Tookland. She softened his hard edges without blunting them, and though Paladin had ruled as a tyrant, Tookland and its hobbits had been well-cared for.

Now her husband was dead, and she had a last service to perform for him.

'We have called a convocation of Tooks,' she began. She spoke clearly, not overloud, addressing the hobbits in the great room rather than shouting at them. The Tooks did not have to strain to hear her words, but they did have to pay attention. Her gaze swept the room and the hobbits fell silent under her scrutiny. When she was satisfied that she held the attention of all, she continued.

'Are there any who should be here, needing to be summoned?' she asked, not that the room would hold more -- it was jammed full of Tooks, and more had come in as the breakfast ended, to stand against the walls. A smile touched Pippin's lips as he anticipated the next ritual question, and he exchanged a sardonic glance with Reginard.

'Are there any here, who should be excluded?' Under Eglantine's stern eye, a few hobbits stirred, but none dared speak. The servers, standing in their line, bowed as one to the Mistress of Tookland and filed from the room, and the great doors firmly shut behind them.

Eglantine nodded. 'We are here this day to choose a Thain,' she said. 'It is not a choice to be made lightly, or on a whim, but to be entered into only after sober consideration, as when the hobbits of the Shire chose Bucca of the Marish to be the first Thain.' She paused. 'We choose not only on who will become the head of the Took family, but one who will be Master of the Shire-moot, and Captain of the Shire-muster and the Hobbitry-in-arms: The Took, and Thain.' She could remain The Took for as long as she wished to retain the title, but she had decided to give it up, to give all over to her son, and not just because she was wearied. She would be no Lalia to his Ferumbras.

She gazed about the room again. 'From the time of Isumbras I, the Thain has been a Took. The Thainship has, for the most part, passed from father to son. There have been exceptions, as we must acknowledge, when the succession was not possible.' The hobbits waited, wondering. Did her words mean she was about to put her son forward, or pass him over?

'In each of those cases, the Thain died childless,' Eglantine continued. She glanced at Reginard, and then at Pippin, very serious now, her voice dropping. There was not a sound in the great room; as a matter of fact, many of the Tooks there held their breaths to hear her next words.

'Thain Paladin, however, had a son,' she said. 'It is true that he disowned his son, not once, but twice, putting him away, decreeing that his name should never be spoken again within the borders of Tookland.'

Firm as a rock, Eglantine stood, showing none of the grief and despair of the past. Lifting her chin, she added, 'But the Thain broke his own edict; he spoke the name of his son, he sent letters to beg his return.' There was a slight stir at the astonishing thought of grim old Paladin begging for anything. 'His last thoughts were of his son, and his last words... it was his desire that Peregrin Took, son of Paladin follow him as Thain.'

She raised her voice, the question ringing loud and clear. 'Is there any one here who would dispute the succession?' None of the Tooks moved. She asked again, as custom demanded. 'Is there any one here who would dispute the succession?' Silence reigned.

Eglantine picked up the seal and signet of the Thain from the table. She held it up for all to see, to ask the question for the third and final time. 'Now is the time to speak,' she said. 'If there is aught against Peregrin Took, if there is another better qualified to take his place, speak now, or resolve to be forever silent on the matter.' She waited, then said for the last time, 'Is there any one here who would dispute the succession?'

She waited the required three breaths, then turned to her son. 'Rise, Peregrin, son of Paladin,' she ordered. Looking up into his eyes, she led him through the oath, in which, among other glorious words and phrases dictated by centuries of tradition, he swore to protect and serve the hobbits of Tookland and of the Shire; and then she placed the seal of the Thain upon his hand.

Eglantine nodded then at the Steward of Tookland. Reginard rose, bowed to the new Thain, proclaimed, 'The Tooks have chosen a Thain! He will be confirmed before the Shire on the next mid-Year's Day, as tradition requires. Until then, he is Thain of the Tooks, and his word is the law of Tookland. Cousins, I invite you to greet your Thain.'

As one, the hobbits filling the room rose to bow to the new Thain. He nodded to acknowledge them, turned away, and Thain and Steward left the great room.

As Regi closed the door behind them, they heard a buzz of conversation arise. The steward took out a handkerchief and wiped his brow. 'Did the Tooks even have a choice?' he breathed. 'Your mother is a wonder.'

Pippin smiled. 'I could have told you that,' he answered. 'My father had the energy and the strength to rule as Thain, but she was the bit in his mouth that kept him from running away with the wagon and coming to a crash.'

'I believe you,' Regi said. 'I've always been a little afraid of Cousin Eglantine, and now I know why.'

Pippin laughed. 'You and a lot of other people,' he said. 'My mother didn't just sit by the fire plying her needle all these years, you know.' He sighed. 'Well, there's one good thing about being Thain.'

'What's that?' Regi asked.

'I don't think I have to worry about being bound and blindfolded and carried over the farthest border,' Pippin said.

'Well, not today, anyhow,' Regi answered. 'Not until they decide to depose you again, at least.'

'You're such a comfort, Regi; I don't know what I would do without you,' Pippin said.

'You'd be very contented, sitting around Brandy Hall sipping some of the Hall's finest, I imagine,' Regi said.

'On second thought, perhaps you're not such a comfort after all,' Pippin mused, then laughed as Regi punched him on the arm, adding, 'Come on, Steward, let's get to work.'





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List