Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

FireStorm  by Lindelea

Chapter 8. No Smoke without Fire

Ferdibrand was surprised to see the Thain turn his pony back towards the Smials and ride at a smart pace. As they pulled up before the entrance to the Smials, he slid down from the saddle and Ferdi thought he staggered slightly; when he turned back to address the escort he looked a bit pale. Ferdi wondered what was going on, and swung down off his own pony.

Pippin nodded. 'I want you to find out who in Tuckborough is in need of firewood,' he said. 'I'm sure you know what to look for.'

'Sir?' Ferdi responded.

'If it's a widow, find something she can trade for the wood, a few hours' work in the kitchen at the Smials, perhaps. If it's an old gaffer, find out how much time he's given to the Thain's projects. It ought to be ten days a year, that's the custom. Ten days' work ought to be worth a cartload of wood, wouldn't you say? Some of these old gaffers have quite a few cartloads due them. I cannot believe the Thain would knowingly let any of his people go cold or hungry.'

'Cousin, are you all right?' Ferdi interrupted. Pippin did not look well to his eyes.

'I am well enough,' Pippin answered. 'Very well indeed,' he amended, straightening. 'I expect a report from you later this day.'

'Yes, Sir,' Ferdibrand nodded stiffly and stepped back. The Thain patted Socks on the nose and nodded to the stable lad to take him. He turned to walk into the Smials, the usual energy gone from his stride. Ferdibrand hesitated, then mounted his pony and led the escort out of the yard.

When Pippin reached the Thain's study, he opened the door and sagged against the jamb. Regi looked up and sprang to his side, guiding him to the nearest chair.

'What is it, cousin?' he asked urgently.

The Thain was white, and gasped for breath, but waved him off.

'Should I get the healer?' he asked, to be answered by a violent shake of the head.

'A glass of water, then?' This was apparently acceptable, and he quickly poured out a glass and watched anxiously whilst his cousin sipped.

It seemed to Regi a long time before the Thain's breath came more easily, but finally Pippin looked up again, saying, 'I aplogise for giving you a scare, Regi.'

'What happened?'

Pippin shook his head. 'I have been forcibly reminded why I gave up pipeweed in the first place.'

He took his old pipe out of the pouch that hung from his neck, and getting up, set it on the mantel, next to the old Thain's pipe where Regi had laid it. 'I've carried this across Middle-Earth and back again,' he said. 'but I'm afraid this is where we must part ways.'

He looked at Reginard ironically. 'It's such an inviting aroma, you know, when someone else is smoking, and you think, "What's the harm? Just one pipeful, is all..." But you cannot fool these lungs.' He patted his chest gently. 'They demand only the best, these days, and they know the difference between pure air and smoke, no matter how enticingly it may fall upon the nose.'

He adjusted his father's pipe slightly. 'Well, we'll put these two old lads out to pasture, they can keep each other company in retirement.'

'Are you sure you do not want the healer?' Reginard said.

Pippin gave him a stern look. 'The fit has passed,' he said firmly. 'No need to call in a healer, besides, what would the talk be amongst the Tooks, Thain only one day and a healer needed already?'

He tried to laugh. 'I'm fine, Regi, and I'll stay fine as long as I remember my limits.' He looked down for a minute, deep in thought, then said, 'You won't tell Diamond.' It was more statement than question.

Regi let it pass. 'Did you want to send for her?' he said. 'Now that you know you are staying?'

'Do we have a place for her?' Pippin asked.

'The Thain's quarters,' Regi answered.

Pippin shook his head. 'I do not want my mother disturbed,' he said.

The steward smiled. 'She's already moved herself out; had the servants coming and going all morning,' he said. 'The Thain's quarters are empty now.'

'Truly empty?' Pippin asked.

'Well, empty of hobbits, anyhow.' At Pippin's sharp gaze, he added, 'Perhaps not empty of... dust and clutter.'

'You may send for Diamond,' Pippin said, 'but just make sure the clutter and dust are cleared away before she arrives. She's even worse than I am, and you do not want to try her temper.'

'Oh?' Regi asked.

The Thain nodded. 'I live in fear of the lass,' he said soberly, though a twitch of the lips betrayed him. 'As you ought to do.'

'I will get right on it,' Regi promised. He added, 'Are you going to eat in the great room, or do you wish your nooning on a tray here in the study?'

'I'm not hungry,' Pippin answered.

'Come now, you've missed second breakfast and elevenses, already!' Reginard said, shocked. 'You have to eat something.'

'You sound just like Diamond,' Pippin sighed. 'I'm sure the two of you will get along famously. Really, Regi,' he argued, 'you don't need to bother about it, just bring me something at teatime.'

Reginard shook his head. 'I'll bring you something now,' he said stubbornly. 'A hobbit has got to eat.'

'Just who is giving the orders here?' Pippin demanded.

'Diamond,' Reginard said. 'She told me to make sure you eat regular meals.'

'Ah,' Pippin sighed. 'She's won you over already.'

'I know which side my bread is buttered on,' Regi said. 'I won't be steward much longer if I lose Diamond's good opinion.'

'Is that so?' Pippin asked.

'O aye,' Regi nodded. 'She told me so, herself.' He almost... but not quite... smiled. 'Will there be anything else, Sir?'

'Yes, I'd like to see the chief engineer and his assistant after they finish their nuncheon,' the Thain said, in as dignified a tone as he could manage.

'Right,' Reginard said. 'That'll be Aldebrand and Samenthal,' he said. Pippin nodded, filing away the names for later reference. 'Anything else?'

'No, that'll do for the nonce,' Pippin answered, then thought again. 'O, and I want you to send Everard to me as soon as he's back from the fields.'

'Right,' Reginard said. 'Anything in particular you want him for?'

'Does he like surprises?' Pippin asked.

'Not particularly.'

'Well, he might get one anyhow,' the Thain answered. 'Just tell him I want to see him.'

Reginard nodded and returned to business, wondering just how the new Thain meant to deal with the steward's rebellious brother.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List