Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Phantasm  by lovethosehobbits

Disclaimer: All characters and places depicted are the sole property of the JRR Tolkien Estate; my only claim to fame is this small piece of fiction. No copyright infringement is intended.

Medical Disclaimer: While extensive research has been done, none of the cures or procedures depicted in this story should be used without first consulting a medical professional. Also there may be graphic medical details and wee hobbit behinds in this chapter, so if that makes you squeamish, you'd better pass.

An AU tale about Frodo and the Ring of Power...

My deepest apologies to Boromir of Gondor for making him out to be such a baddy in this chapter.

Phantasm Chapter Two

The Lady or the Tiger

Legolas had covered Aragorn's body with his own in an attempt to protect his friend and future King of Gondor. He now rose quickly, pulling his companion up with him, as small rocks and rubble continued to rain down, sealing the opening with the snow acting as a mortar. They scrambled at the wall trying to remove the barricade that stood between them and their fallen comrade. They were quickly joined by the rest of the Fellowship as hands, soon caked with mud and frozen beyond feeling, worked feverishly to remove the rocks and refuse.

"All of you, stand back!" boomed Gandalf. Boromir grabbed Merry and Pippin while Legolas grabbed Sam and they all moved as one, away from the wall. Gandalf raised his staff and pointing it at the barricade shouted a command. The wall gave way as rocks and debris were flung outward from the opening.

"Thank you, Gandalf," gasped Aragorn.

"And here I was worried that a fire would possibly alert our enemies. I have just sent up what would be comparable to one of my famous fireworks with that little show of force. Let's go find our boy, shall we?" he said with a smirk. As the three hobbits made to exit Aragorn stopped them.

"I'm sorry gentlemen, but you will have to stay here," he said as he bent down.

A chorus of objections and threats quickly filled the air as all three began talking at once, '"But, we want to help," "He's our cousin!" "You ain't goin' anywhere without Samwise Gamgee!"' until, at last, Aragorn raised his hands to silence them.

"I do not have the time to argue with you. The longer we berate the issue the longer Frodo lies exposed to the elements," he said brusquely. They all stopped and stared at him. "If you truly wish to help there are things that need to be done here to prepare for our return that are just as important as our searching for Frodo." Nods came from all three.

"Beggin your pardon sir, but this wouldn't be just somethin' to make us *feel* like we was helpin' now, would it? You think just because we're small that we need protectin' and lookin' after like little children and you don't think we have anything to contribute to the fellowhip 'cept to keep Mr. Frodo company an' all, it ain't no secret," he looked at Boromir as he said the last. "We might be small compared to the likes o' you, but we more an make up for our height with our love for Mr. Frodo. All we’re askin' is that you give us a chance," Sam said looking down finally at his toes, his face flushing.

Strider smiled down at Sam. "Sam I have *never* thought that you did not have anything to contribute to the Fellowship. Ever. Keeping Frodo fed, warm and his spirits up could well be the most important tasks asked of any of us and I, for one, am glad you three are with us to do these things for Frodo. Let's face it, gentlemen, sometimes those are the hardest jobs on our quest," he gave a wry smile to all three. "But I do need your help in order to see that all is made ready for our return." After receiving nods from all three Aragorn continued," Sam we will need something hot for Frodo to eat, even if we must force him to do so, and perhaps some tea."

"Oh, aye, Mr. Frodo told me earlier how much he missed his hot tea, he did," Sam said sadly.

"Very good. I'm gladdened to hear there is something he craves, if not food," Aragorn said with a smirk. "I will also need hot water for medicinal teas, bathing supplies and bandages made ready." He turned to Merry, "I would like you and Gimli to see if you can't find more firewood from that copse of trees over there," he pointed to a small grove off in the distance. "We will need some larger logs or small saplings to keep the fire going all night. If you can find downed trees, all the better for a nice hot fire," he said as he motioned Gimli over.

"What do you want me to do, Strider?" he turned and looked into the eager green eyes of the youngest member of the Fellowship.

"Pippin, I need blankets to be warmed by the fire and then I would like you to help Sam get meals ready for all of us." Pippin nodded and he and Sam hurried off. Merry and Gimli began their trek towards the copse of trees; Gimli's axe glinting in the weakening sunlight.

"That was wise giving them all something to do while we retrieve the Ring, and Frodo's body, of course," said Boromir off handedly.

Aragorn swung around to face the Gondorian. "Let's make one thing perfectly clear, Boromir. I did not give them these jobs to keep them occupied and out of the way. I gave them because they will need to be done to ensure Frodo's survivability. Another thing, I am not going to search for Frodo solely to retrieve the Ring, although, yes, that must be done. I am going to find Frodo because he is my friend first and ringbearer second, and for you to insinuate that there is no hope and that he is already beyond our skills to heal, is to show your own ignorance as to what a hardy and resourceful people hobbits are," he said hotly. "I think it would be best for you to assist Gimli and Merry and leave Frodo's rescue to Legolas and myself," he added as he turned and stalked away.

"You do not dictate to me what my assigned tasks shall be, false King," sneered Boromir.

"No, but I do, my dear Gondorian," came a gruff voice from behind him. He turned and with a snort of disgust, began heading in the direction Gimli and Merry had taken moments before. Gandalf approached Aragorn who stood next to Legolas as he surveyed the area below them.

"Thank you Gandalf," said Aragorn without looking away from the abyss.

"Boromir could be a vital ally or powerful foe, Aragorn. You should try to bridge this gap between each other soon, before it becomes more than petty insults," Gandalf said.

"I have no time to assuage his feeling, Gandalf. There are more important things at work here than Boromir's selfish pride," Aragorn said with a frown.

"There!" Legolas pointed to a tiny speck amongst the rubble and snow at the base of the cliff. It appeared to be just another rock to Gandalf but Aragorn had long since learned to trust the elf's keen eyesight.

"I fear for him, to have fallen so far, it would be a miracle to have survived," Gandalf said, his voice husky with emotion.

"Gandalf you, of all people, should know by now how miracles seem to follow Frodo wherever he goes. We will bring him back. Be sure all is made ready for our return," Aragorn said, although he too felt sudden trepidation as he looked at the long drop before him. As he and Legolas, searched for a way down the slope below them, Gandalf watched from above hoping this was not to be Frodo's burial site as well. He turned and walked back into the cave to see if he could offer his assistance to Sam.

************************************************************************

He was so cold and his whole body throbbed in agony. He had been going down the stairs in Bag End when his foot had slipped on the icy steps of the cold room. He had tumbled to the bottom of the steps and now he looked about him at the hooks of meat hanging from the ceiling. He climbed slowly to his feet and gasped as a fiery pain lanced through his hip. His arm also throbbed painfully and he guessed that it was probably broken. He reached the door and began banging on it with his left hand. "Bilbo. Bilbo, help me. I'm hurt and I've locked myself in the cold room. Let me out please," he cried.

"No Frodo, not until you've learned your lesson, my boy," came the reply.

"What lesson Uncle" Please, please help me," Frodo sobbed as he crumpled to the floor of the room. It was most uncharacteristic of his Uncle to deny Frodo anything let alone be so casual when he was injured. He frowned as he slowly looked about him taking in his surroundings. He had always hated this room; the dankness and smells gave him a claustrophobic feeling of dread that something was waiting for him in the airless dungeon. "Bilbo?" he cried again, but received no answer to his cries. He rose and hobbled across the floor, his uninjured arm stretched before him, trying to feel his way around in the inky blackness. A dim light shown off to his right and he made for it. 'That's odd,' he thought, 'I don't remember there being a corridor there.' He followed the corridor, which gradually gave way to a fragrant green meadow. All around him were trees with long vines wound about their trunks and birds perched upon their branches. Flowers began to show up along the pathway and always there was the light that got steadily brighter as he proceeded. He entered a large room filled with plants and the soothing sound of water flowing. At its center was a high throne of sorts and upon this sat the most beautiful woman Frodo had ever seen. She smiled sweetly down at him and bade him come closer. He walked slowly towards her as his eyes swept about the area. He looked upon her and she was even lovelier that at first glance. Her hair was of the lightest yellow he had ever seen and it flowed to below her small waistline. She had eyes of grayest blue and skin that was completely flawless. She wore a gown that shimmered in different hues as she moved about and in her delicate long boned hands she held a staff of perfect white. He gazed at her in total amazement and was all to suddenly aware of his awkward appearance amidst her radiant visage. She graced him with a luminous smile as she looked down at him.

"Welcome, small traveler," she said in a soft, alluring voice.

"Where am I? And. And who are you, if I may ask, madam?" He stammered shyly.

She chuckled softly at his discomfiture. "I am a friend, Frodo Baggins," she said with a smile.

"How do you know my name, My Lady?" he asked with suspicion.

"I have my ways, young one. I have been watching you for quite some time now and know of you and your kind and, of course, of your burden," she said. She flicked her finger towards his neck and the Ring revealed Itself. For an instant the beautiful long boned finger with the perfectly sculpted nail resembled a gnarled, age spotted hand grasping towards him. He gasped, but when he looked again all he saw was the porcelain digit he'd seen before. She smiled oddly at him.

"How do you know of the Ring?" he asked tremulously as he tucked It, once again, within his shirt.

"All who desire to see Middle Earth receive its glory know of It, ringbearer," the last word was said flatly and without feeling. She smiled demurely at him. "I have been chosen to guide you and help you achieve your goal," she added by way of explanation.

"Chosen by whom? Elrond has already chosen eight companions to accompany me into Mordor," Frodo asked, confused.

"I was not privy to Elrond Halfelven's counsel, I'm afraid. My selection was made by one far greater than elves, men or other peoples of this world," she said with, what Frodo at first thought...what, a note of bitterness? Had he detected derision of Elrond in her voice? She dazzled him with yet another brilliant smile. "But we all chose to work towards a common goal,” she added, somewhat shyly. "As to where you are, my dear hobbit, your body is lying on a cliff side at the base of Carhadras and is struggling mightily to sustain your life, even now. You've been gravely injured, I'm afraid. Your mind has drifted to a childhood incident where you accidentally locked yourself in your Uncle's cold room. Your subconscious mind has augmented this memory, as is what usually happens when one is ill or injured. Not a very pleasant memory for you, from what I've seen so far. I do not actually stand physically before you, but needed to communicate a warning...a message, if you will, and so have entered your subconscious mind to do so," she explained in soft, concerned tones. "Would you like something? Some food or drink perhaps?" she offered.

"Your pardon, my lady, but if this is not real why would you offer me sustenance?" Frodo queried.

She covered her mouth and giggled girlishly. "Even in a dream we should always be comfortable, don't you think?" she replied with a gentle smile.

"Then I should like some hot tea, if it would not be too much trouble," Frodo said with a smile.

"Of course it's no trouble. Astrid?" she called. A dark, mousy woman appeared.

"Yes Mistress?" she mumbled.

"Some tea please for Mr. Baggins and myself," she said.

"Yes Mum," the creature named Astrid replied and left leaving Frodo with a feeling of disquiet. She returned shortly and placed a tea set upon a low table that had not been there moments before. If the mysterious lady was beautiful and delicate then Astrid was all things that the lady was not. She was dark and plodding, looking at Frodo with beady eyes full of malice and contempt.

"Would you sit?" the beautiful lady asked. Frodo's eyes followed Astrid as she departed and he was about to ask the mistress where she would have him sit but when he turned back around there was a comfortable hobbit sized chair placed across from the mysterious woman.

"Yes, thank you. May I ask your name, my lady?"

"Of course. Hmm...You may call me Lorelei," she said after much deliberation.

"You hesitated, Mistress Lorelei, do you not even know your own name?" Frodo asked with a smile.

"Oh, I am known by many names but this one seems to fit our meeting best so it is what you shall call me," she grinned, her eyes took on a momentary slyness but then, that too, was gone so quickly Frodo could not be sure he had really seen it. He went to pour the tea but pulled back sharply as he stretched out his stricken right arm. "Oh, you are hurt, poor thing," Lorelei said as she poured the tea for both of them. "Here," she said, placing the cup in his left hand. "It's badly broken, you know," she said conspiratorially, indicating his right arm. "From that long fall off the ledge," she added. Frodo felt suddenly uneasy being with someone who, even though beautiful, knew so much more about him than he did her.

He shifted uncomfortably. "Yes, I know. I think I've also hurt my leg," he murmured.

"Oh you have, see?" He looked down and gasped at the sight of the left leg that hung boneless from his hip. He tasted bile and looked away quickly taking a gulp of the hot tea. "Dislocated," she said coolly. "You also have a very nasty concussion, but you won't notice that at all if they don't find you soon," she added with a dismissive wave of her delicate hand. Frodo began to believe that he was having one of the worst nightmares he had possibly ever had, or perhaps he had finally gone insane, as he'd feared. He didn't want to look at his injuries any more than he wanted to sit here talking with this strange woman. He felt very small and ill at ease and rose to depart. "Oh, you can't leave yet. You must hear my warning first," Lorelei said with a charming little pout.

"Oh, how rude of me. I apologize, I was just feeling a little ill," Frodo explained.

"Oh it is I that should apologize to you. It was a very un-hostess like of me to be showing you your leg like that," she patted his knee and smiled again. Her eyes now looked almost brown and Frodo noticed, for the first time, a small black bead that hung from a fine chain about her delicate neck. As he gazed at the charm it seemed to glow from within and he stared, transfixed, at this unusual jewel. Her gown was now a light shade of pink he noted as he pulled his eyes from the necklace. He looked up quickly and caught Lorelei staring at his throat with what could only be described as, lust. She quickly looked away and said, "You have snow all over you, I just realized. I should have offered you a fire to dry your things and warm your body by," she murmured, distractedly.

He felt ridiculous. Of course, she had only been noticing the snow on his cloak. She was much too pure and beautiful to be bothered with such human failings as lust or envy. And what, Frodo thought, could he possibly have for her to lust over? Himself? He almost snorted out loud at the very thought. About the only thing Frodo had was, well, the Ring. He darted a quick look in her direction. Lorelei was humming in a soft, sweet, somehow, hypnotic voice. She held in her right hand a golden brush and was combing it slowly through her long tresses. He shook himself slightly trying to free himself from the sleepy, dreamlike feeling that was beginning to wash over him.

"Mistress Lorelei, if you aren't an elf or mortal, what are you?" he asked quietly, trying to rouse himself.

"Oh, you don't need to know that just yet, master hobbit, we'll have another chance to talk and learn about each other, you can count on that," she evaded. "Frodo, may I call you Frodo?" she asked shyly. Frodo nodded and sipped from his teacup which he suddenly realized, never needed refilling. He wished, with a sudden pang, that he had one of these in his backpack. Lorelei set her cup down slowly, "There are forces at work here, Frodo, that are beyond your control. What I am about to say will sound harsh but you must heed my words or all will be for naught." Frodo set his cup down as his stomach began to churn in dread. "You cannot trust any of your Fellowship." Frodo's eyes grew very wide as he opened his mouth to reply. "No. Hear me, my hobbit friend. They want the Ring, all of them. It has already turned them to do It's bidding and you are in grave danger.

"But Merry, Pippin and Sam...I can trust them. They're my kin and Sam, he's my best friend," Frodo exclaimed.

"Ah, but that was before the Ring had had Its chance to weave Its spell over them. They cannot be trusted Frodo. They are not the friends and family that they were before. They will say or do whatever they think you would want them to in order to get It from you. Sam prepares your meals, correct?"

"Yes," Frodo gulped.

"Do not eat the food or drink the water they give you, it will be poisonous," she said grimly.

"I cannot believe this. I've had no cause to doubt them before. Boromir perhaps. But Legolas or Aragorn, Gimli or Gandalf? You must be mistaken. These are my friends...my family and companions. It cannot be true," Frodo exclaimed in agitation.

"It is, I am sorry. The wizard is the worst of your Fellowship. He has besmirched the name of Saruman making all of you believe that Saruman had turned to evil so that he could usurp the title of the White Wizard for himself. He has seduced the elves, men and dwarves telling them all of his torture at Saruman's hands, when in fact, he has tortured and denigrated Saruman himself. Saruman is being held captive by Gandalf's orcs in Orthanc at this very moment," she said sadly.

Frodo's mouth hung open in disbelief. He would have laughed hysterically at the ludicrous image Lorelei was painting if the beautiful maiden before him did not look so genuinely aggrieved. "No. I have known Gandalf all of my life and I cannot believe him to be so utterly malicious. If he says Saruman is mad and evil then it must be true," he whispered.

Lorelei's eyes flashed but Frodo had turned away, pacing slowly. His leg, he noticed, at least *looked* normal now even if it still pulsed with a dull throb. Lorelei sneered at Frodo's back, but composed her features, dabbing at her eyes softly with a small handkerchief, as he turned back towards her.

"It is true. I am so sorry to say," she wept. Frodo looked at her in alarm.

"But what am I to do if this is so? Who am I to trust?" he cried.

"You must trust yourself and those of us who have been dealing with the inhabitants of Middle Earth all of our long existences," she sighed heavily, looking overburdened.

"I will have to think about this, Mistress Lorelei, it is simply too much for me to comprehend at this moment," Frodo said wearily.

"I understand, Master Hobbit, but be wary. You cannot blindly trust them, you cannot," she struck the staff's end on the floor to emphasize her point. "Do not tell them of me or our meeting. The wizard you call Gandalf, and I, were once great friends until his thoughts turned black. You would be in grave danger were he to know of my involvement in this matter," she added.

Frodo smiled, picturing their reaction, "No one would believe me anyway," he said slowly.

"No doubt," she murmured with a slight smile. "Then go, but return as you will, and be careful." She rose and kissed his forehead lightly. Her lips left an unpleasant clammy feeling on Frodo's skin.

"Yes, thank you Mistress, for the tea," Frodo said distractedly as he slowly began moving back towards the pathway leading away from the room. He absently rubbed his forehead with his left hand and turned to look back at Lorelei, but the room, its occupant and the light were gone. He found himself hobbling along the corridor in total blackness. With each step unease filled Frodo until his heart was racing. A rustling sound and strange whispers began to come from all around him and he began to try to walk faster as panic over took him. His leg now ached with a fierceness it had not had even moments before and something brushed past his face as he tried to hurry back towards Bilbo’s cold room. He felt himself being grabbed at by something cold and slippery (the vines, perhaps? he thought) as he tried to evade their grasping. His right arm throbbed and he pulled it to his chest and the cold was like a knife slicing through his body. The things grabbed him, grabbed his arm and as he tried to pull away, one held tight and pulled at his shoulder as another pulled at his wrist, causing Frodo to feel such agony that his stomach churned in sudden nausea. His leg, his leg was being held and now a sudden jerk pulled the appendage taut causing his breath to leave his body and Frodo felt sure the limb had been severed from his body. A deep, guttural scream left his lungs as an exquisite bolt surged through his injured hip. He felt his sanity begin to break, as he lay slumped on the floor, the cold and pain his only companions. As the darkness engulfed and pulled him to its black heart he heard the rustling and whisperings of things he could not see, as they closed in, suffocating and robbing him of his last conscious thought.

to be continued...

And now this author, we like to express her deepest thanks for all of the wonderful reviews and response that was given on the first chapter. Such accolades, I was overwhelmed and thoroughly blown away by your generous feedback. Thank you all so much.

Ariel3 - You crack me up. I started laughing when I read your review. You should know me well enough by now to know that I will ALWAYS find a way to write Frodo out of harms way. Hope you continue to enjoy the fic, and thanks for the review.
Kali - Frodo is pretty much, what I like to write about, especially poor, sick Frodo. I know, I've quite the mean streak in me, don't I? I would never, ever kill him though. I enjoy making him feel better so I can torture him in some other story instead. Glad you're enjoying it and keep reading.
Julia Baggins - Of course the story is going to continue. One of my favorite pet peeves is authors who don't finish a story after I'm all involved in it. I simply can't do it...so please, keep reading, and I hope you continue to enjoy it.
Purple Evenleaf - I appreciate the 'whoa' and thanks so much saying it is well written (let's hope it continues that way, huh?)
Kellie - Thank you so much...I have pictured this start in my head for about a year, but needed to finish my other fic first. Glad you're enjoying it.
Lindahoyland - Hey, good to hear from you again! Glad you're enjoying it so far and of course, there's always gonna be lots of Frodo and Aragorn. Natch!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List