Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

All That Glisters  by Lindelea


Chapter 7. Into Darkness

The pull of the mire was not overwhelming, yet it was steady. Hilly clung to the bow as the pony, no longer struggling, continued to sink from under his feet. His initial gasps at the shock of the icy water had turned to rapid panting; he could not seem to catch his breath. He was drawn down inexorably, the sustaining branch above him bowing under his weight and the pull of the mire. He’d thought to grab at the branch, should it bend within reach, but it remained tantalisingly just beyond his fingers as the water rose nearly to his shoulders.

Farry’s song faltered and he whimpered for reassurance from his mother.

Hilly wished that reassurance was all that was needed. The branch bent further as the water continued to creep upwards. ‘Don’t look!’ he panted, meeting Diamond’s horrified gaze. ‘Hide his eyes!’ Little Farry must not watch this terrible end.

 ‘Hilly...’ Diamond whispered, but then she turned Farry, pulled him against her, covered him with her cloak and held him tight. She would not turn her own eyes away.

Hilly stiffened as the water approached his jaw, and then...

...and then, he was no longer sinking. The branch held.

Diamond gasped out the breath she’d been holding. ‘Hilly!’

Panting for breath was making him light-headed, and so he forced himself, despite the grip of the icy mud and the chill of the water’s embrace, to steady his breaths, to breathe as deeply as he was able. ‘M-m-mistress,’ he chattered.

Diamond was not one to sit and do nothing while every moment brought Hilly closer to drowning. She rose abruptly, lifting Faramir and setting him on his feet. ‘Come, Farry,’ she said, forcing herself to speak cheerfully. ‘We may not have rope, but we’ve branches a-plenty, just waiting for us to drag them to Hilly’s aid.’

 ‘G-g-g-good thinking,’ Hilly said.

 ‘Save your strength,’ Diamond said over her shoulder.

Hilly nodded and closed his eyes. He was shivering violently, though he could no longer feel his lower limbs, and his hands, both now clinging to the bow, felt numb, almost wooden. His head slowly drooped forward, but when his chin touched the water he jerked upright once more, looking wildly about.

Diamond had tucked up her skirts, exposing shapely limbs which Hilly, always ready to admire maidenly virtues, was in no condition to appreciate. She and Farry were dragging a long branch towards the bog, and when they reached the edge they shoved it as far towards Hilly as they could. ‘There,’ Diamond said. ‘Plenty more where that one came from.’

Hilly tried to smile, and Diamond’s lips twitched in response. Farry had run back from the edge of the bog and now his piping call came, ‘Here’s another!’

 ‘Good, Farry!’ Diamond cried, and turned. Over her shoulder she said, ‘Hold tight, Hilly.’

He didn’t expend energy on answering, simply concentrated on steady breaths, and keeping his eyes open.

Branch after branch they dragged to the bog and shoved in. Hilly was shivering less now; he was feeling warmer, actually rather cheerful, even optimistic about the situation.

 ‘You’re building quite a bridge!’ he called, though he had a bit of trouble forming the words, much as if he’d had a pint too many at the Spotted Duck of an evening. ‘When Pip arrives he won’t need any rope, he’ll simply walk out and not even get his feet wet!’

 ‘Are you well, Hilly?’ Diamond asked, straightening for a moment to rub her back and eye him narrowly.

 ‘Better and better,’ Hilly slurred. ‘I think I’m getting used to the water. It seemed quite cold, in the beginning, but now it’s beginning to grow on me. Invig—invi—invigorating!’ he finished in triumph.

 ‘Fine,’ Diamond said. She eyed the lengthening shadows: nearly time for eventides. Hilly had been in the water for over an hour now, and she did not know how much longer he could sustain the fight. How much longer until Pippin came? They couldn’t afford to wait for rope and rescuers. ‘As you’re feeling so invigorated, perhaps you could take hold of the branches we’ve fetched for you and pull yourself to firmer ground.’

 ‘Lovely idea, Diamond-bright,’ Hilly said, and chuckled at his own witticism. He looked up with a frown. ‘Very strange,’ he added.

 ‘What’s strange?’ Diamond said. ‘It ought to feel good, to put your arms down. Just try one, however, until we see if our branches will hold you.’

 ‘I would if I could,’ Hilly said, frowning at his unresponsive hands. ‘I seem to be somewhat... stuck.’

 ‘Come, Hilly,’ Diamond said, and Farry added his coaxing. ‘Work at it. Loose one hand, just one, and grab hold of the branches we’ve worked so hard to bring you.’

 ‘Very well,’ Hilly said agreeably. His face grimaced as he worked one hand free of the bow, letting it fall to the water with a splash. ‘Seems all the blood’s run out,’ he said, ‘hanging there so long.’ He moved his arm in the water, lifted it and let it fall again. ‘Splash, splash, in the bath!’ he sang.

 ‘No time for nursery rhymes,’ Diamond said, nearly frantic now. Hilly was losing his faculties; all too soon he’d become unresponsive and beyond all aid. She spoke as persuasively as she knew how. ‘Take the branch, Hilly, and pull yourself along.’

He smiled, a grimace of a grin, and swam his fingers to the nearest branch. He pulled on the bow with one hand to try to ease himself further out of the water. There was an ominous cracking sound from the hanging branch, even as he hauled his shoulders clear of the water. His fingers slipped from the bow and he fell forward, grabbing clumsily at the branches Diamond had shoved out to him. Released, the bough sprang upwards, the captive bow hanging as a trophy won by the tree.

Diamond stifled her involuntary cry as Hilly came to rest on the floating branches. His legs were still mired, but the upper part of his body was supported, though the branches dipped under his weight, forcing him to make an effort to raise his chin above the water. He stared straight ahead of him, towards Diamond and Farry, through glazing eyes. ‘That’s got it,’ he whispered.

 ‘Can you pull yourself free?’ Diamond called. She saw Hilly’s hands close reflexively on the branches, saw his face tighten with effort, saw when his strength failed and he relaxed, half turning to rest his head upon his upper arm, to keep his face above the water.

 ‘No,’ he whispered. After several breaths, he added, ‘But at least I’m not sinking any more.’ His eyelids drooped as he gazed straight before him into the darkening wood; a smile bloomed on his face at what he fancied he saw.

 ‘Hold tight, Hilly,’ Diamond said, yet again. She pushed Farry down upon the ground. ‘Stay here,’ she said firmly to her son. She moved to the edge of the firm ground and crouched, surveying the branches. ‘Hilly!’ she called. ‘I’m going to crawl out to you, try to pull you free.’

This was enough to rouse the escort from his daze. ‘No!’ he cried, raising his head. ‘Don’t you do it, Mistress-mine! Don’t you risk your Diamonds in the mire. Pippin would have my hide, and welcome to it!’

 ‘I cannot leave you there!’ Diamond snapped.

 ‘You cannot leave your son!’ Hilly responded. Farry lunged to grab hold of Diamond’s skirts, adding his own plea. Diamond took her son in her arms, and when she looked back to the escort, his head was resting on his arm once more, face drooping ever closer to the surface of the water.

 ‘Hilly!’ Diamond said, and caught her breath in a sob.

The escort took a few slow breaths. ‘No need,’ he said in a faraway tone. ‘No need to weep, my love.’ His eyes returned to the wood, and he gazed longingly at some vision that only he could see. ‘A little sleep will put me right. Ah, but I’m weary.’

 ‘Hilly, no!’ Diamond sobbed. ‘Hold on, just a little longer.’

 ‘Weary,’ Hilly whispered. He turned his head so that his gaze met Diamond’s once more. ‘Hide his eyes,’ he breathed, and then he looked back into the woods. ‘What’s that?’ he said, lifting his head slightly. ‘Ah, yes, Posey-love, all will be well. I’m just so weary, you know. Sing me to sleep?’

Breathing raggedly, Diamond pulled Farry closer, casting her cloak over him. ‘All is well, love,’ she echoed. ‘Hilly just wants a bit of a nap, that’s all. I imagine you’re weary yourself; it’s past eventides and you ought to be tucked up in a proper bed, you ought.’

 ‘But mama,’ Farry protested, his voice muffled.

Diamond shushed him, and settling to the ground and holding him tightly against her, she began to sing.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List