Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Ruffians  by Lindelea

2. Waiting Game

Estella watched and listened closely, drinking in every nuance, every gesture of the two creatures by the fire. The one called Jock was in charge, she decided, and he would be the one to appeal to, when she figured out how she could manage him. Greed would be a tool, she thought. He had appropriated Merry's fine sword, stuck it in his belt, and his hand occasionally traced the gold inlay on the hilt.

He and the other, whom Jock called only "You", had some sort of low-voiced argument, and then Jock arose and walked over to where she lay, crouching down to offer her some roasted meat on the end of a stick. She turned her face away, then remembered to say, 'No, thank you, I don't care for anything right now.'

He smiled at her politeness. 'Some water then?' he suggested.

'Please,' she answered.

She managed to control her disgust as he held his drinking bottle to her lips, taking several dainty sips and thanking him again.

'Is there anything else I may do for you, my lady?' he asked with an ironic twist to his lips.

'Yes... if you please...' she said hesitatingly, trying to look pliable, weak, and frightened. It didn't take much effort. She nodded towards Merry's still form. 'That's my husband,' she said. 'Would you unbind me and let me care for him?' At his pause, she pressed, 'I wouldn't run away and leave him, knowing the revenge you could take.'

He nodded, taking out a knife and cutting her bonds.

'Hey!' the other creature shouted in outrage. 'What do you think you're doing? Do you want that pretty play-toy to skip away?'

'She won't skip,' the creature called Jock chuckled. 'That's her husband over there. She'll be on her best behaviour, if she knows what's good for him.'

She arose, rubbing her wrists, and walked warily to Merry's side. Looking up at the creature Jock, she said, 'Might I have some water, please?'

He gave her his own water bottle with a graceful bow. She had to steady it with both her hands, it was so much larger than a proper hobbit's bottle. 'Thank you,' she said evenly, and turned back to her husband. Tearing a strip from her petticoats, she wet the cloth and wiped her husband's face. She noticed that they had taken his sword and belt knife and two of the three knives he hid under his clothes. When her seeking hands touched the third knife, her heart gave a jump, but she made no outward sign. The creatures had gone back to their cookery, and she managed to quickly slip the knife from its hiding place and into her bodice without them noticing.

'Merry,' she said softly. 'Merry, do you hear me?'

He shook his head slightly, opening his eyes halfway. 'Estella?' he said, confused, then took in their surroundings. When his eyes came back to her face, he said, 'I'm sorry, love.' He glanced over at the creatures by the fire, who paid no mind to them at the moment. He dropped his voice. 'Can you get away?' he asked.

She shook her head. 'I don't know which way the Road is,' she said. 'They blindfolded us to carry us here.'

'Farmer Partidge?' She shook her head. 'Tom?' he said.

'No,' she said softly.

He sighed and closed his eyes. 'We're in a bind and no mistake,' he said.

'You said the Rangers patrol between Bree and Buckland,' she said.

'Yes, but I don't know where and when,' he answered.

'We'll just see if we can make our own luck, then, while waiting for one to show up,' she said bravely.

'Here now, no talking,' the other's voice said suddenly behind them.

'I'm sorry,' she said softly, keeping her eyes downcast. They would believe her cowed, fearful, totally incapable of defying them. It wouldn't be hard to keep up the act.

They let her sit by Merry, bathing his forehead, while they talked. Some slightly louder words came to her straining ears.

'I don't see why we need the both of them,' the other was saying. 'The little knight will just be a drag on us. Let's just kill him and bury him with the others.'

'O you don't want to do that,' she called without thinking. Both of the creatures turned their eyes on her, and she rued that she had brought the other creature's attention back to herself.

'What do you mean, my lady?' the creature Jock asked.

'He's worth a lot of gold to you,' she said. 'He's important among our people.'

'A ransom, you mean?' the creature Jock answered.

She wasn't sure what the word meant, but he looked interested and there was a greedy glint in his eye, so she nodded. 'Yes, that's what I mean.' I think, she added to herself. I hope.

'Well, he won't be worth any gold dead, then,' the creature Jock said to the other. 'So as long as she can keep him alive, we'll let her. And he's better than a rope to tie her to us; at least he won't leave marks on that fair skin.'

'O yes,' the other creature said, looking over at her and licking his lips. She looked hastily away.

'I'll kill him if he tries to do anything to you,' Merry whispered.

'O yes, I know, beloved,' Estella said soothingly. 'He ought to go about in fear of his life, if he knows what's good for him. You see, I'll kill him myself if I have to.' She thought of the bright sharp blade waiting in her bodice.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List