Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Kindling Fire  by Lindelea

Author's Note: Am in the middle of research in "Glisters" and "Thain", and outlining another story that promises to be exciting, or something of the sort, but thought I'd polish and post another chapter of Rosemary's story for anyone who's experiencing withdrawal pangs. Sorry if it's somewhat boring, but that often happens when in Jessamine's company. (Probably why you never see much of her in these stories.)


Chapter 2. Tea with the Bolger

 ‘No time for that,’ Stelliana said sharply. ‘We’ll be late for tea!’

 ‘Tea with the Bolger?’ old Ferdi said. ‘And here I am, travel-stained and unwashed. You’d best go on ahead without me.’

 ‘Not at all,’ Stelliana said, her tone too sweet. ‘I still must do up this wild filly’s tangled mane. You’ve time for a cold wash, though not a hot bath as would be proper.’

 ‘Heartless, you are,’ old Ferdi said with a pleading look. ‘Ah, brother, will you not intercede for me? A cold wash, I tell you!’

 ‘I’ll intercede for you, indeed I will, brother,’ Ferdinand growled. ‘I’ll intercede you right into the Water, I will, if you don’t take yourself off at once and make yourself presentable.’

 ‘That would be a cold wash,’ old Ferdi said thoughtfully, showing no sign of heeding his brother’s threat. ‘If I could swim I’d be tempted... it’d be quicker than a sponge bath.’

 ‘More thorough as well,’ Ferdinand said, ‘the way you smell! I’m tempted, myself, to throw you in. You weren’t born to drown, as the old seer said at the Free Fair...’

 ‘Then I ought to chance it,’ old Ferdi said, but seeing the distress in the eyes of the little hobbits, he gave over his jesting and scooped little Ferdi into his arms. ‘On second thought,’ he said, ‘ ‘Twill be warmer, to stand before the hearth as I scrub off the dust of travel. And young Ferdi can hold my towel for me and catch me up on the news.’

 ‘I’ll just show these lasses to their new homes,’ Ferdinand said.

 ‘Hurry!’ Stelliana said. ‘And you’d better wash the pony-smell from your hands before we go.’

 ‘Of course, my dear,’ Ferdinand said smoothly, giving his wife a peck on the cheek before turning to lead his charges away. When safely out of earshot he muttered under his breath, Mustn’t offend the Bolgers’ sensitive noses with the stink of ponies, now! He loved his wife dearly, but her family... oh, Odovacar wasn’t so bad, and his brother Rudivacar was nearly so sensible as a Took, but as a whole the Bolgers of Budgeford were awfully aware of their position and the necessity they perceived of maintaining it.

The way Stelliana fussed, very like a clucking hen, they'd have come half an hour early had it not been for Ferdi's arrival and hasty bath. As it was, they were a few minutes early for tea. Jessamine stood regally at the top of the stairs leading up to the entrance of the stately old manse to greet her daughter’s family. ‘Ferdibrand!’ she cried gaily, after greeting her daughter and son-in-love and exclaiming over her grandchildren. ‘I’d heard you were away, darling lad! Beyond the Bounds, they said!’ She gave a delicate shudder.

 ‘Mistress,’ old Ferdi said, taking her fingertips in his hand and bowing. Jessamine’s nose wrinkled slightly from habit more than anything else. Ferdi doubted any trace of pony remained—he’d scrubbed diligently, even the curls on head and foot, and donned the fresh clothes that a clucking Stelliana had draped over a nearby chair as he bathed.

Herugar reclaimed his wife’s hand and tucked it under his arm, beetling his thick white eyebrows at the young Took. He harrumphed and said, ‘Well, then, well come. You’ve returned in good time, and just in time for my wife’s birthday tea.’

 ‘Indeed, Sir,’ old Ferdi said with his most charming smile. ‘I made every effort to return in time. Why, I walked through the night, last night, just to be sure...’

 ‘To be sure,’ the Bolger said in dismissal.

Tea was as tiresome as old Ferdi had expected. Rudivacar asked many questions about Bree and the new ponies, until the Bolger quelled him and turned the talk firmly to the Quarry and the weather and other proper topics.

Young Ferdi only spilt his tea twice, and spoke not at all, for he was spellbound, watching eight-year-old Freddy Bolger fill his plate and empty it several times during the course of events. The lad would grow as stout as his grandfather, the way he was going!

Young Rosemary was on her best behaviour, earning compliments from her grandmother and Auntie Rosamunda, Odo’s wife. ‘Such a sweet little thing,’ Rosa kept saying. ‘Ah, brother... I shall steal her away from you one of these days, I surely shall!’

 ‘Just so long as you give her back,’ Ferdinand said complacently.

There really is not much to tell; it was a birthday tea, after all, and went much as one of these will go, with none of the surprises or upsets one might expect at such a jolly affair. The Bolgers of Budge Hall were anything but jolly in those days. Lalia of the Great Smials set the fashion amongst the great families, and Jessamine was, it must be said, fashionable to the best of her ability.

She was very impressed that her son-in-love had caught the attention of the grand dame of the Shire. Perhaps ponies were not so dull and dirty after all.

 ‘You’ll be taking them to the Great Smials?’ she said, delicately dabbing at her lips with her snowy serviette. ‘When?’

 ‘On the morrow,’ Ferdinand said politely. ‘We were asked to leave this day as a matter of fact, but of course we could not.’

Jessamine tittered nervously. ‘What, you put off Mistress Lalia on my account?’ she said gaily, but her eyes showed her unease.

 ‘Not at all,’ Ferdinand said quickly. He took Stelliana’s seeking hand and squeezed it reassuringly. No, my love, I will do my best not to upset your mother! Difficult though that might be. ‘One of the mares was due to foal, and I could not leave her so. However, now that Ferdi’s arrived, I can confidently leave her in his capable hands.’ He raised his cup to his lips for a sip and then added, ‘I sent off a quick post rider with the news just after he arrived.’

 ‘You’ll be leaving for the Great Smials on the morrow?’ Jessamine said brightly.

Ferdinand followed her thought; she was hoping to ride along in the coach to the Great Smials, have a nice visit, and ride home again. Two days travelling with his mother-in-love, and then two days back... ‘Aye,’ he said, ‘but we won’t be stopping at the Smials any longer than to settle the agreement. We’ll be going on into the Green Hills, to visit relations, before we return here.’

 ‘It’s time for our annual visit to Whittacres, you know,’ Stelliana added. ‘Paladin Took has a new crop of ponies to train, and...’

Jessamine’s smile had faded at the words “Green Hills”, and disappeared completely at her daughter’s reminder that Ferdinand was a working hobbit. A pony trainer! And so totally unnecessary, when he could live a life of leisure what with the fortune settled on the only daughter of the Bolger at her birth.

 ‘Well,’ she said frostily. ‘I suppose I can manage without my dearest daughter for a month. But to be parted from my darling grandchildren...’ Her face brightened and she turned eagerly to Herugar. ‘Why don’t we keep the children, beloved? They can be good company for little Freddy!’ She knew very well that Stelliana could not bear to be parted from her children for any length of time; this seemed a practical way to cut the threatened visit short.

Rosemary looked about to burst into tears, and young Ferdi looked up in dismay, to meet his father’s half-wink. ‘I’m sorry,’ Ferdinand said, turning with a well-feigned look of regret towards Jessamine. ‘That would be quite impossible.’

 ‘Oh?’ his mother-in-love said, quiet challenge in her tone. Stelliana swallowed hard, but her husband gave her hand another squeeze.

 ‘Indeed,’ Ferdinand said. ‘You see, Mistress Lalia has specifically instructed me to bring the whole family to tea. Why, it would go against her wishes to leave the children at home, no matter how much their grandparents dote upon them!’

 ‘I quite see,’ Jessamine said, abruptly changing direction with a decisive nod. ‘We would not want to put Mistress Lalia out, not by any means.’

 ‘Not by any means,’ Herugar said. Though he’d seemed half-asleep, he’d been following the conversation keenly. He knew very well how things stood. He certainly didn’t want mischievous young Ferdi underfoot for a month! ...and his wife’s efforts to cut short Stelliana’s proposed month away were fraught with that danger, should her plan go awry. ‘You had better take our grandchildren with you!’

He smiled at his only daughter, with a wink of his own. And I hope you have a lovely time! he mouthed. Jessamine was deaf enough that he knew she wouldn’t hear, and as she was staring at her daughter he knew she wouldn’t see, either.

Stelliana’s lips quirked and she looked down at her plate to compose herself before looking up to meet her mother’s gaze once more. ‘It will be difficult to be away so long,’ she quavered convincingly, while winking a few tears to seal her performance. ‘But we’ll make the most of it.’

I’m sure you will, Rudivacar whispered, and laughed as Odovacar kicked him under the table.

 ‘Is there some sort of joke?’ Jessamine demanded, swinging to confront her sons. ‘Do be so kind as to share your witticisms with the rest of us!’





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List