Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Postcards From the Shire  by SlightlyTookish

A little something for March 25, Ring Day and Gondorian New Year...and the anniversary of Pippin killing the troll and saving Beregond's life, nearly at the expense of his own.

It is inspired by and its title comes from Pippin's line in The Return of the King, "The Black Gate Opens," when he draws his sword and says, 'This was made for just such an hour.'


Such an Hour

It had been a dagger once, forged by a man of Númenor. In the sun the words carved into its blade gleamed like fire; at night it was pale and cool, like an icy river, but deadlier. It served its first master well, and then his son, and his son's son, an heirloom passed on through the years until the last bitter downfall.

The world turned dark. In a barrow the dagger waited, ageless. No rust ever touched its blade. Years passed until one day there was a roar that shook the earth. The sun poured in, catching the blade in its light. A pair of old hands lifted it, handed it to another, the smallest hands ever to have grasped its hilt.

The tiny creature drew the blade. Reflected in a pair of wide, green eyes were ancient letters, glinting in the sun.

At last the hour had come.

*

It served as a sword now, wielded surprisingly well by the small hands that darted out quickly, stabbing and slicing. Blood covered the blade, though it still glimmered in the gloom.

Roars filled the air, and pounding feet shook the earth. Great hill-trolls broke through the ranks, beating down and batting away the men. A tall man raised his sword, refusing defeat, but a large troll-chief knocked him back. The man fell to the ground, dazed. A clawed hand reached out and lifted him up to bared teeth.

With a cry the halfling gripped the hilt tighter and darted forward; in one fluid move he stabbed the beast. The sword pierced deep into the flesh, and black blood ran down the blade and onto the small arm covered in mail. Another roar and the troll collapsed onto the blade and the one wielding it.

The hour had come at last.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List