Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Took by Any Other Name  by Lindelea

Story taken offline for editing.


Prologue
The background to this story is Seeing the Forest for the Trees. It shouldn't be necessary to read that before reading this, but if you're interested in reading more, here's the link:

http://www.storiesofarda.com/chapterlistview.asp?SID=342

Seeing the Forest for the Trees by Lindelea
Merry and Pippin investigate strange doings in the Old Forest after they return to the Shire. Darker than the usual "Young Steward" story. Extreme angst.

This story takes place concurrently with events in "Jewels" (in draft form on fanfiction.net under authorname "Lindelea1") and "Flames" (here at SoA). The stable fire referred to in this story is described in detail in "Jewels".

Chapter 4. Just in Time for Tea
Pippin's dream draws heavily from "The Uruk-Hai" in The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Chapter 11. Merry Meetings
Pippin's dream, of course, includes text drawn from the original chapter "The Palantir" in The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Chapter 14. Homecoming
Some material in this chapter is taken from "The Siege of Gondor" in The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Paladin's "vision" draws from JRRT's accounts of Frodo's prophetic dreams (and vision of Samwise in the future, after he's gone from Middle-earth), and is influenced by Pearl Took's marvellous story "While We Dwelt in Fear", also found here on SoA(http://www.storiesofarda.com/chapterlistview.asp?SID=586), in which she explores Tolkien's mention of the Tooks' "fairy blood".

Chapter 15. The Rising Flames
Material in this chapter is taken from "The Siege of Gondor" in The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Paladin makes his peace with Pippin in Chapter 48 of "Jewels", found here:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1275709/48/

Chapter 16. Drowning in Fire
Material in this chapter is taken from "The Pyre of Denethor" in The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Chapter 18. Bed and Breakfast
The story of how Pippin nearly married Estella is found in "Jewels". (Click the link for Chapter 1, on fanfic.net in draft form.)

(3/7/05)





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List