Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Pub Food  by annmarwalk

The evening’s first stop was The Five Armies.

“Pub food?” Sorry, little masters, it’s not the food that brings ‘em in here, if you’ll take my meaning. But ho, boys! Gals, wait up! Don’t take anybody upstairs yet! Let’s drink a toast to the halflings, what saved our skins!” And so they drank.

On to The Laughing Oliphaunt. “Pub food? Well, we have these roasted groundnuts, and crispy salted breadsticks, but it’s mostly the beer folks come here for, if you’ll take my meaning, not the food. But ho, boys! Let’s drink a toast to these halflings!” And so they drank.

How about The Bird and the Baby? “Pub food?” The proprietor sniffed. "We are not a pub. Our guests are educated men, keepers of ancient wisdom, you understand. Prince Imrahil himself stops by often, in fact, he’s here tonight...”

“Ho, Prince Imrahil!”

“Ho, gentlehobbits! How are you enjoying our city?” The Prince steppedback, after noticing Pip’s rather greenish glow.

“We’re looking for pub food,” Merry explained.

“Pub food! You’ll not find it here, this place is full of dandies and intellectuals. I know where to find pub food….” Tossing a coin to the proprietor, who seemed somewhat miffed, he led the hobbits away, down narrow streets, past fountains and courtyards to The Rose Garden..

“Pub food? I’ll see what I’ve got. You all go sit outside, that little one looks sick.” Grabbing a bottle, Prince Imrahil led them out to a small table in the garden. The roses were not yet in bloom, of course, but the apple trees were. They could hear the spring frogs singing their love songs.

Soon, Ana returned carrying loaves of crusty bread, and green glass bottles of olive oil for dipping. Then there was soft white cheese, and roasted vegetables on skewers, and fish so fresh it must have leaped from the river straight into the cooking pan. Then was more wine, and food, and laughter, and some singing, and after a while Strider was there, and Faramir, and Prince Imrahil’s sons. Someone mentioned Boromir, and they were all sad for a moment, then Prince Imrahil told a story about young Boromir being chased, screaming, by a big seabird, and they all laughed, and then they told other Boromir stories, and then it was dawn, and they all had to stagger home to their beds.

It was one of the best times the hobbits ever had, and some of the best food, too.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List