Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Road to Edoras  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 18

It was nearly a week after they had left Tharbad, and they had made fairly good time. There had been one more summer storm, the fifth day out, but it had not lasted long, and they had simply ridden through it, glad to be refreshed from the oppressive heat.

It was late afternoon, and Legolas and Gimli had ridden ahead to scout the evening’s campsite.

Beri and Viola were riding side by side and chatting about any number of things.

“So,” asked Beri, “what made you think you wanted to be a healer?”

She smiled at his interest. “My sister Verbena and I were living with my Aunt Rhododendron. She’s a seamstress.” Berilac did not ask about why they were living with the aunt. Viola had already confided how her mother had died bearing a little brother, who also did not live, and then the young girls had lost their father to a wasting sickness. “Anyway, she would have apprenticed both of us, but I really am not that fond of sewing and needlework. Mistress Poppy is a good friend of Aunt Rhody’s, and when her last apprentice was almost ready to leave, she asked me if I were interested. I truly had not given it much thought, though I had often been told I was good in a sick room, so I agreed. I soon found that I really like the work--not only helping folk when they are sick or hurt, but learning about *why* they get sick and *how* to help them--it’s interesting to be sure. I especially like to learn about the different herbs and plants and how they work, and I find that I have a knack with the pendulum as well, so it has been very good for me.”

“Well,” said Beri diffidently, “I am no expert, but I think that you will make a wonderful healer. You have a gentle manner, but you also can be firm as well. I was very impressed the day you stopped everyone because *that* one was getting too hot.”

She laughed. “That was not a hard call to make. And my mistress would certainly have done the same thing if she had been with us. I had to act in her stead.”

Cado glance over at the two of them riding together from his place in front of Leodwald. The Brandybuck was certainly lucky. They always talked about the “luck of the Brandybucks”, and Cado thought it must be true. Merry had always been the lucky one, favored by Uncle Paladin, and an only child to boot, and then when they’d heard that he and Pippin had vanished out of the Shire and were probably dead, he and Clovis had thought maybe their troubles were over, and they wouldn’t have him to worry about any more, but no, he comes back with Pippin, luckier than ever. Taller, stronger, and a hero, of all things. And now Merry’s cousin Berilac looked to be getting lucky with the pretty little healer. He watched how Viola smiled back at the Brandybuck, and scowled. Suddenly, he had a feeling of being watched, and he noticed Mistress Poppy regarding him intently from her pony where she rode just ahead of Viola and Beri. She seemed to see right through him. He gave a shudder. That was almost as bad as having the Elf stare at him.

Mistress Poppy pursed her lips. She had noticed more than once the looks that the youngest prisoner kept giving her apprentice. She was sure Viola had noticed as well, but the lass had said nothing, so she would not either. After all, he was young and at the age to notice a pretty lass no matter what the circumstances. It was sure to come to nothing--he was kept in check mighty well by the Men, and probably would not ever even dare to speak to Viola. And if he ever had the temerity to do so, Berilac Brandybuck would probably very quickly put him down. But she would keep an eye on him anyway.

Freddy was having an enjoyable conversation with Éothain. The Rider was telling him a few stories about his cousin Éowyn, sister to the King.

“Before their parents died, she and I were pretty close playmates--we are very nearly the same age, after all. She was a good deal of fun for a girl, and we would often get into mischief together. I remember one day in particular, we went down to a stream and spent an afternoon catching turtles and trying to race them--a futile exercise at best,” he laughed. “We went back muddy from head to toe. É omer saw us and was horrified, and did his best to sneak us in to get cleaned up before we were caught by an adult. We actually *did* get caught by Uncle Éomund, but he winked and pretended not to see us.”

Freddy chuckled. “Sounds like a few older relatives I can think of. Cousin Bilbo often just winked at that kind of mischief.”

“I daresay. But after their parents died, they were sent off to Edoras. Éomer came back to Aldburg often during the summers--it would one day be his charge, after all, but I did not see Éowyn again until she was fifteen, and was sent with him one summer. We spent a good deal of that summer sparring with one another and beating each other black and blue. It was good fun, and she was as dear a companion and friend as any boy.”

The hobbit shook his head. “Now that’s one thing I don’t understand: that you would let your lasses learn how to be warriors, and let her go to battle.”

Éothain shrugged. “It is not something the Gondorians understand either. But among the Rohirrim, if a high-born woman wishes to become a shield-maiden, she is not denied. However, it is considered to be training to use in a last resort when the enemy has overcome all else. It is not usual for the shield-maidens to actually ride to war, though I daresay Éowyn was not the first or only to do so. But in her case, she was not *supposed* to go. She and Meriadoc had been ordered to remain behind. By all rights, I should have betrayed her presence to the King as soon as I was aware of it. But childhood habits die hard, and I would have found it difficult to do that to her. And, too, she and Meriadoc had a good purpose to be there--we all thought the world was ending anyway, and no hope of victory against the odds we faced. Why should they remain behind to die in worry and despair, when they could come along and at least strike a blow or two against the enemy? At least that was my reason for not saying anything. If things had turned out differently, I do not doubt that those of us who failed to speak would have been in a good deal of trouble. If, of course, any of us had survived without them there to fulfill the prophecy and slay that Dwimmerlaik.”

“Did you know that Merry did not realize who she was until they faced the Sorcerer on the battlefield?”

The Rider turned to him and gaped. “Did he not?” He laughed. “That is funny! But I suppose that it would have been because he still was not well accustomed to the ways of Men. And I don’t believe he had spent much time with her before we left.”

Freddy shook his head. “And I don’t think he would have realized that she would have the knowledge or training. Hobbits mostly don’t learn anything about weapons and fighting anyway, except for the bow, but even so, we certainly would never expect the lasses to learn.” Freddy tried and failed to imagine his little sister Estella learning to use a sword or even a bow.

Just then Legolas and Gimli rode up.

“I have found us an excellent campsite about a mile from here,” said the Elf. “There is a stream flowing across the road that will have to be forded. It’s running rather high from all the recent rains and the melt off the mountains. There is a glade this side of the stream where we can camp tonight, and take the ford tomorrow when all are fresh and rested.”

Targon and Éothain agreed to this, but Freddy gave a shudder. He had known that sooner or later, he would have to ford running water. He might take Poppy’s standing offer of a calming draught in the morning.

He took a deep breath. If Merry could face the Mountains, he could certainly face a stream. It’s not like it’s the Brandywine, he told himself.

The glade was definitely a pleasant spot to camp. They quickly set up the small tent for the healers, and began to start a fire. It was Beri’s and Mosco’s day to do the cooking, and they had begun to look through the stores in order to start a soup. Mosco thought he might make some griddle bread as well.

Mustering up his nerve, Freddy wandered over to the bank of the stream. It was not all that wide, but it was deep, and running swiftly. Just looking at it was not so bad; it was the thought of having to ride across without so much as a bridge that felt a bit unnerving. But if he got used to the look of it, maybe it would not be so bad…

The Men were busy seeing to the ponies and horses, and securing the prisoners, and left the more mundane aspects of setting up camp to the hobbits, who had rather taken over those tasks.

Bergil had taken up his usual chores without being told. He and Jolly had already brought the firewood, and Rolly and Denny had set about making the fire. Now he took up the waterskins and walked down to the stream to fill them. There was a spot there where he could crouch down and lean over the bank. It was a bit of a reach, but it seemed the easiest place to get the water.

Freddy glanced upstream to his left, and saw the lad as he took the waterskins and held them in the water. And he was watching as the ground beneath Bergil suddenly seemed to give way in a slide of mud and rocks, toppling the lad into the stream with a yelp. Horrified, he suddenly realized that Bergil was struggling weakly, not trying to swim. The child was swiftly being carried towards him.

Without even thinking much about it, he grabbed a nearby fallen limb and held it out over the stream. He could hear the others all shouting and running up behind him, but the boy was having trouble trying to grasp the branch. He waded out a few feet, and tried to pull Bergil in.

Suddenly he felt his own feet slip from under him, and before he knew it, he too was under the water…





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List