Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Twice Twenty  by Dreamflower

 

Title: If I Only Had a Fire
Theme: Set #2, Theme #3. “Fire”
Genre (s): General
Pairing (s): N/A
Rating: G
Summary: Pippin wants a fire.
 

IF I ONLY HAD A FIRE

It was cold. It was wet. It was dreary. Aside from the Company themselves, there was not another living thing around them for miles and miles. Aragorn had said so, and so had Legolas. Pippin was perfectly miserable, and he felt not unreasonably, quite cross with Gandalf.

Why couldn’t they have a fire? If they had a fire, they could dry out their wet clothes from walking in a freezing drizzle most of the night. And he didn’t care if Merry said that if the drizzle was freezing it would have been sleet rather than rain. Pippin *felt* frozen from the tips of his curls to the ends of his furry toes. And he didn’t much care for Strider’s comments either, that he wouldn’t really know what frozen was until they got to the Redhorn Pass. If Strider thought that frozen was worse than this, he didn’t want to know about it, thank you.

If they had a fire, Sam could cook something. Pippin could really use a warm meal in his belly. Cold camp meant cold food. Pippin could just imagine the nice hot soup Sam could conjure up out of their meager stores. He’d be perfectly willing to go and get some firewood, and help build a fire.


If they had a fire, then Boromir and Gimli could be warm while they stood watch. He was quite sure the Man and the Dwarf would appreciate it. But Pippin was unreasonably cross with the Elf. It wasn’t fair that Legolas wasn’t as cold and miserable as the rest of them.

If they had a fire, it wouldn’t be so dark and dank. True the Sun had more or less shown herself, and Frodo said it will get lighter by and by, but not to worry about it, because Pippin ought to be asleep by then anyway. Of course, that was saying nothing about the perversity of walking all night and trying to sleep during the day, was it?

If they had a fire…

Merry sat down next to him, and bumped his shoulder with his own. Drat. His cousin was trying to cheer him up. Pippin didn’t want to be cheered up. He wanted to be cross. He wanted a fire.

Another bump. He turned and looked into Merry’s grey eyes which were trying to twinkle for him, but were tired-looking all the same.

Bump. “Come on, Pip. You’ll be warmer once we get under the blankets, you know you will.”

In spite of himself, Pippin smiled at Merry, and dragged himself up, to snuggle up with him and Frodo and Sam, with all their blankets on top.

But he still wished they had a fire.
_______________________________________






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List