Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Collection of Drabbles   by Periantari

Inspired by this quote:
No one answered. The noon-bell rang. Still no one spoke. Frodo glanced at all the faces, but they were not turned to him. All the Council sat with downcast eyes, as if in deep thought. A great dread fell on him, as if he was awaiting the pronouncement of some doom that he had long foreseen and vainly hoped might after all never be spoken.
~Council of Elrond, Fellowship of the Ring


Fate had brought him to this destiny, to this task. He could not abandon this cruel fate that had been dealt upon him.

His fate had been sealed ever since Gandalf had told him that this was indeed the Enemy’s Ring. Proof of his attachment had already been displayed by his reluctance to break it that night in Bag End.

No, there was no other way. There can be no other person that had struggled as much as he has had already, no one who had worn the Ring as much as he had done. There had been no one who had resisted a poisonous Morgul blade for as long as he had …and survived.

There were no two ways about it. He could not deny that this was meant to be.

Thoughts of remaining peacefully in Rivendell with Bilbo were quickly dashed from his mind. Fate had not intended for him to remain unharmed, hidden in the fair valley of Rivendell.

But there was no pressure. No one had spoken a word. But he knew for certain that they were waiting… for him.

He could not stand the silence any longer.

With a small, yet clear voice, Frodo said,

“I will take the Ring, though I do not know the way.” ***

***From Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring, pg 264 Houghton Mifflin One Volume Edition.

A/N--Word count does not include Frodo's quote at the end. Double drabble written for Nivina's birthday in '04.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List