Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Collection of Drabbles   by Periantari

3 drabbles and 2 droubles


 Five Times Gandalf was impressed by hobbits

“Well done! Mr. Baggins!” he said, clapping Bilbo on the back. “There is always more about you than anyone expects.”** – A Thief in the Night

He did not know that a hobbit would make that much of a difference in this Quest. When Gandalf told Thorin, he found a burglar in a hobbit, he had expected the stealth of hobbits as the only advantage he was seeking and nothing more.

But Bilbo had surprised him —from evading capture in the Elven halls, to his courage rescuing the dwarves from the vicious spiders, and especially the relinquishing of the Arkenstone to the initial dismay of all the dwarves, Gandalf never knew that Bilbo could have such insight.

The resourcefulness of hobbits should thus never be underestimated.

~~~~


“Not alone,” said Legolas. “We think that Sam went with him.”

“Did he!” said Gandalf, and there was a gleam to his eye and a smile on his face. “Did he indeed? It is news to me, yet it does not surprise me.” ~The White Rider

When Gandalf heard that Sam went with Frodo to Mordor, it did not surprise him. A burden lifted to know that Frodo was not alone.  Sam always impressed by his ways of caring for his master, his eye for the small details.  Sam was no warrior, no wizard, but his love for his master would carry the Quest through. 

Gandalf could not have chosen a better hobbit to accompany the Ring-bearer.  The kindhearted, loyal hobbit would follow his master to whatever end.  When the darkness sought to cover their spirits and smother their wills, Samwise’s light would guide the way.

~~~


“I did not hinder it, for generous deed should not be checked by cold counsel.” ~Gandalf, Minas Tirith

Peregrin Took had indeed grown since the beginning. From only asking inane questions to serving as a mere distraction as another hobbit to bring along, he had certainly shown his innate quality, different from the others but necessary nevertheless.

Gandalf observed at the hobbit in the Gondorian armor as he tried to follow the orders.  A tween and not yet a grown hobbit, Pippin has shown more composure than he expected under the dark times and also still recovering from the influence of the Palantir.

Peregrin had grown under his watch, and Gandalf thought there would be more surprises yet.

 ~~~~


“His grief he will not forget; but it will not darken his heart, it will teach him wisdom.” Aragorn, “The Houses of Healing”

“Meriadoc Brandybuck,” Gandalf addressed the hobbit solemnly as he approached.  Merry was watching over his friends under the tents in Ithilien.

“Gandalf! I’m so glad you’re all right. I thought—“Merry drew close to the wizard.

“No I am fine, and I’m glad you are here.  You’ve shown quite extraordinary resilience!”

“What do you mean? I did not do anything, and I did not even fight at the end with Pippin, letting him get buried by a troll!  How am I the strong one?  And will Frodo, Sam, Pippin be all right?”

“Merry, Pippin getting injured isn’t your fault!  Your friends will be all right.  You’ve fought through the Black Shadow not once but twice.  You helped slay the Witch-king. You’re the one to endure when times get tough with those around you; you’ve shown strength for you’ll be there for your kin when they awake and that is when they’ll need you most.  Meriadoc, don’t underestimate the power you have to make the difference in their healing.  You’re showing a new kind of courage.”

“I never thought of it that way, Gandalf.”

Gandalf embraced the tear stained hobbit, “You’re going to make a fine Master of Buckland one day.”

~~~~~~~~~~


”He is not half through yet, and to what he will come in the end not even Elrond can foretell.  Not to evil I think.  He may become like a glass filled with a clear light for eyes to see that can.” – Many Meetings, FotR

Gandalf looked gravely and at Frodo and sat beside him while he slept in Ithilien in a healing sleep. Gandalf was reminded of how Frodo looked when he was recovering from the Morgul wound in Rivendell, but this time he looked thinner, paler, more worn, ever more like a shell of his own self. His third finger on his right hand was missing, bandaged up in white cloths.

Thinking about all that Frodo had to endure to overthrow the Dark Lord, Gandalf felt moved to tears that involuntarily fell down his cheeks. Frodo had gone through so much, more than any hobbit had to or would have.  The Ring would have left its mark.  Would it ever be the same?

He held Frodo’s small hobbit hands in his.   How indebted Middle-earth is to this hobbit!  All the praise and stories would not capture the immensity of what this hobbit accomplished.   All the races of Middle-earth would hold Frodo to high honor.  But will Frodo be himself, care to live again, remember the good of this world, like how it would be before the Quest?

This was the ultimate sacrifice that must have been done to ensure the safety of all.

~fin~

**Word count does not include quotes that precede the drabble.

Thank you to grey_wonderer for her thoughts and encouragement. <3




<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List