Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Rising to the Challenge  by annmarwalk

The Giver and the Gifted - A Drabble Pair

The Giver

"Mormegil, if I were to want to give a lady a gift, what would you suggest?"

"That would depend on the lady, my lord. A book? Poetry?Jewelry?"



"Jewelry would be gilding the lily. Something useful, perhaps? Yet beautiful."



"Gloves? A headscarf?"



"A cloak? Blue, to match her eyes?”

Mormegil nodded. "Indeed, sir."

"Deep blue velvet, like the evening sky.  Stars, I think, embroidered on the velvet. Would that be too garish?"

"Not at all. Goldwork on dark blue is lovely."

"Could you find someone to craft such a gift? Before Mettarë?"

"I'm sure I can, sir," Moremegil smiled.


The Gifted

Mormegil had seen the fabric once, from the corner of his eye, while visiting Arrad Tailor's workroom. Now Arrad was rolling it out reverently, rhapsodizing about pile and nap and how the color would vary with the light.

There was a tap at the door; a young woman entered. She was small and slim and as lovely, Mormegil thought,  as Tinúviel, as Melian the Maia. "Oh, the blue velvet!" she exclaimed happily. "I've always loved it; the color is so rich."

"My sister, Rívorn," said Arrad, "and my embroiderer. By her skill will Lord Denethor's lady be wrapped in starlight."

For the "Tailor" challenge"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List