Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Drabbles  by Lindelea

Characters: Bell Gamgee, Bilbo Baggins
Rating: G
Synopsis: Mrs. Gamgee puts her foot down, and about time, too.
Length: 200 words  plus title (technically not a drabble, per se, but at least it's exactly double one) 

Curtains for Frodo
for elwenlj's birthday

‘Mr. Bilbo, I’m a-puttin’ my foot down!’ And Bell Gamgee did just that, resting stern hands on her substantial hips for good measure.

‘But they’re my mother’s...’

‘And that’s just the trouble! Those curtains are so old and sun-rotted, there’s just nothing to be done but throw them out and start over!’ Seeing a little of the old Baggins stubbornness surfacing in her employer’s expression, she softened her voice to try another tack.

‘You’re worried about that lad and his wheezin’,’ she said persuasively. ‘Well, he won’t get no better, breathin’ the dust o’ those old hangings!’

Bilbo’s face took on an expression of concern. He stuck his hands in his pockets, as if seeking comfort, and rocked back and forth on his heels. ‘Well,’ he said slowly, ‘Well, Mrs. Gamgee, when you put it like that... I hadn’t thought...’

O’ course he hadn’t thought, and what an old bachelor like him was doing, adoptin’ a tween at this late date, well, it wasn’t Bell’s place to say anything about that.

She dropped her voice to a conspiratorial tone. ‘It just so happens, I’ve got a friend what makes real’ pretty curtains...’

In the end they agreed, for Frodo’s sake.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List