Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Drabbles  by Lindelea

I'd like to introduce you to an old friend of mine...

Frodo looked up from glum contemplation, and put on a smile.

Faramir saw through it. He spoke briskly. ‘The King asked me to look in, as he’s a bit tied up at the moment.’

‘It’s but a cold. I wish everyone would stop fussing.’

Rather more than a cold, Faramir thought to himself. The other hobbits remained confined in separate rooms in the Houses of Healing. Frodo had only recently been released to the guesthouse, with strict warnings to avoid relapse.

‘With you all so ill, Mithrandir thought you’d be –’ (he did not say “lonely” but thought it) ‘at odds and ends… I thought…’

He held out a book.

Frodo took it, eyebrows rising quizzically. ‘A Child’s History…’ he read from the spine.

‘Our favourite, upon a time, Boromir’s and mine,’ Faramir said. ‘For children, perhaps, but so well written I revisit on occasion.’

‘Boromir’s favourite, as well?’ Frodo said, paging idly through, stopping for a brightly coloured picture, heroic soldiers, flying banners, desperate battle.

‘He loved to read about battles,’ Faramir replied, and shrugged. ‘When he read aloud to me, that’s all he chose.’ His smile widened. ‘I had to learn to read myself, to hear the rest…’

***

A/N: Was idly re-reading a few things, in an attempt to avoid writing by pretending to "research", and upon reading the drabble "Respite" this little scene sprang to mind.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List