Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Seeing Isn't Always Believing  by shirebound

This LiveJournal “hobbitpile” ficlet was written for Rubynye.

THE BEST WE HAVE (movie verse)


“Every morning, I wake in fear that one or more of them has been smothered during the night,” Boromir said, surveying the mass of hobbits. “They sleep as one,” he muttered, motioning to a stray hand or bright curl sticking out of the mounded blankets.

“I suspect that is part of the strategy,” Legolas replied.

“What strategy could there be in such cramped sleeping arrangements?”

“Have you not noticed, Boromir? Frodo is still recovering from his encounter with the Nazgûl.  No matter where he falls asleep, the others group around him in the same manner: Sam on one side, and Pippin on the other." Legolas then motioned to one of the hobbit-shaped lumps. "Merry always chooses last -- the least comfortable, outside position, facing the wind, or a direction from which danger might approach. Sam and Pippin feel fiercely protective of Frodo, but Merry, I deem, has appointed himself guardian of all three.”

“Aye,” Aragorn said, joining the hushed conversation. “There is nothing random here. The hobbits offer Frodo the best they have to give -- comfort, security, a sense of home and family amongst near-strangers...” He smiled down fondly at the mound of blankets. “It is these things that Frodo is risking everything to save, is it not?”

“It is Pippin’s watch,” Gimli said, coming over to his companions. He gazed down at the hobbitpile in consternation. “Which one is he?”

“Leave them be,” Boromir murmured. “I will stand watch this night.” Aragorn’s words echoed through his mind... The hobbits offer Frodo the best they have to give. Perhaps these halflings were not as simple and carefree as he had thought.

A chill wind suddenly blew through camp. Boromir unclasped his fur-lined cloak and lay it over the four hobbits. I, too, will give my best, he thought, and felt Aragorn’s hand clasping his shoulder in approval... and respect.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List