Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Seeing Isn't Always Believing  by shirebound

A double-drabble (200 words) set in post-Quest Minas Tirith

The line of dialogue is from The Return of the King


It was my place – not his – to take the Ring to Mordor. My ancestor, Lúthien, descended to the very depths of Angband and charmed Morgoth into sleep. She and Beren cut the Silmaril from his crown. Their blood is my blood. Could I not have dared the same as they? Are my love and courage any less? Morgoth was gone, but Sauron remained; yet his power was diminished, poured into the Ring. Surely, bearing it, I could have overborne him as Lúthien did to Morgoth, and seen the Ring to its destruction.

But before I realized that it was I who should have stood forth at the Council and claimed this task, Frodo was gone -- fled into the Dark Lands with no power to prevail save the resilience of his race, and the love of a servant. And so he paid the terrible price that should have been mine.

He took my place, although my beloved does not agree. And so I now offer my place in return; it is all I have to give, in poor payment of my debt.

“But in my stead you shall go, Ring-bearer, when the time comes, and if you then desire it.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List