Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Best Beloved  by Lindelea

Written at Dana's request, a scene set during "Jewels":

Merry had been but a dream away, most of her young life, when she wasn't actively dogging his heels during his visits to Bridgefields. And at that, her parents had thought she was following Freddy, for follow Freddy she did, nearly ever day of her brother's life, at least while they were younger.But now Estella sat, demure and proper, Pippin's head in her lap, looking down at the face of her promised husband. They were bound together with cords of agreement, before ever handfasting or wedding words had been pronounced. Marriage contract, signed by The Bolger and The Took, for the good of the Shire, binding two great families together in promise. Their children would inherit great wealth and prestige...

She must make the best of the situation, and so her fingers made circles on his forehead, and she murmured, 'Truly, you've had a face as wet as a long day since your father told you of the agreement... would marriage to me really be such an ill thing?'

Pippin opened his eyes and forced a smile. 'I don't take your meaning,' he said gallantly.

Estella's eyes narrowed. 'I think that you do,' she said, but putting on a brighter tone, she continued determinedly, 'Just imagine the possibilities! Why,' and she lowered her voice as a conspirator would, for Merry was not that far away, singing a song to Diamond as the latter two dabbled their feet in the stream, 'you could put frogs in Merry's bed, and I'd stand guard at the door, that none would suspect...'

'Would you help me gather the frogs?' Pippin asked in a similar vein.

Estella wrinkled her nose. She'd gathered plenty of frogs in her time, but her dresses were long now, more ornate, and more trouble to manage. 'I'll hold them in my apron for you,' she said. 'You can put them in my apron pockets, and no one will be the wiser.'

'It might work,' Pippin said thoughtfully, sitting up, though he stiffened as she hitched closer. No, this wasn't his idea. It certainly wasn't. If it were a race he'd be backing a different pony.

'Not to mention,' Estella said, dropping her voice still more. Surely she must make the best of this bad situation, the two of them yoked together all of someone else's will, or they would pull each other to pieces. Merry and Diamond had their backs turned. It was a time for boldness.

'Not to mention?' Pippin said politely, though he hardly cared.

'Every morning, a promise,' Estella said, her hand finding his cheek.

'Promise?' he said, and she resisted rolling her eyes at his thickness.

Greatly daring, she leaned in, one eye on Merry and Diamond, and laid a soft, warm, inviting kiss upon his lips, and when she sat back again she had the satisfaction of the enormous surprise on his face.

'A promise,' she said.

Just then Merry jumped up, laughing at something Diamond had said, and as he ran towards them Estella forced her eyes to look away. So close he was, when he stopped, close enough to touch. And farther away than any dream...





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List