Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

When Winter Fell  by Lindelea

This is the dullest, most tiresome pasttime that was ever invented. Yes, Grandfa, I know you will be reading this!

Keeping a journal must be the worst use of time I can think of. A journal, for all that the Elves made it, holds no magic. It is just a pretty book that will last a long time, or so the peddler said.


Mid-year's Day

pastime pastime pastime pastime pastime pastime pastime pastime pastime pastime

Very well. I must write misspelt words ten times before tea. And I must put a date on my entries so that you may see I have written something each and every day.


2 July

I say, Grandfa, that it is hardly fair to punish me for being late to tea when it is you who told me I must write each word ten times properly before I may have my tea!

And as you have told me that I spell very well for my age I think it very unfair to punish me for reading when I ought to have been helping in the fields. After all, you boasted to Master Greenfield that I spell well because I read so much because you cannot get my nose out of a book! I do not believe your threat to apprentice me to him to keep his books. I will not be twenty for some years yet and besides you are making me keep a journal to improve my hand-writting. He does not want me to keep his books until my writting is neat and tidy. Perhaps I will never improve my writting, and so you shall never apprentice me!


3 July

writing writing writing writing writing writing writing writing writing writing

I do not think your jest at all clever, Grandfa that I ought to write the word three-times-ten for having misspelt it three times.

How does one keep a journal, anyhow? What to write?

For breakfast I had four rashers of bacon, half a dozen eggs, fried to show their suns shining, cold pork pie and two apple dumplings, though Fanny said I had three. I drank milk still warm from the cow, and cambric tea for I am still only a youth, as some hobbits seem to have forgot. And now Salsify is calling me to pull weeds.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List