Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

If I had a Hammer  by Grey Wonderer

Before I get on with the final chapter I just want to say thank you to a few folks who have helped me with this story.

Topaz_Took, who spent some time helping me with the names of some older tools that the hobbits might have had for building.

Gamgeefest, who has been keeping a watchful eye on my version of Sam. I don’t often write much with Sam in it and so I was a bit nervous about this, but Gamfeefest has helped me keep Sam on track and been very encouraging.

Pippinfan1988, who gave me the idea for the toffee apples at the fair which Merry enjoyed tremendously. PF is always so encouraging and so very dear. Thank you my friend!

Larner, who recently wrote a story that mentions Pippin’s carpentry lessons, called "Gifts and the Benefits of Scholarship" If you haven’t read it, you should. It is wonderful just like all of this author’s stories.

`````And finally, I want to thank everyone who reviewed and read this one. I do believe that I have gotten the best response to this story of any that I have ever posted! Thank you all for being so very generous and supportive!

And now, the final chapter

G.W. 10/31/2005

Part 20

After Berilac was cleaned up a bit, Frodo told him to walk up to Bag End and get a change of clothing but to be quick if he didn’t want to miss the judging. A rather contrite, and terribly smelly Berilac hurried off. Frodo noticed that everyone moved out of Berilac’s way as he hurried past them. The lad should have no trouble getting through the crowds.

They were all standing around in the market area, having left the cows behind in favor of more food shopping, while Pearl and Nell made their final selections when Estella Bolger joined them. "I thought you were working hard, Estella," Frodo said.

"I was, but you won’t believe it, Frodo," Estella said. "I’ve sold completely out of toffee apples and I haven’t any more apple in my supplies so I can’t make any more. It has been my best year ever."

There were snickers from the others as Estella looked puzzled and Merry flushed slightly. "I only feel sorry for anyone who didn’t get one of them," Merry said. "They were delicious."

"You would know," Nell grinned. "Our Merry is a fine judge of toffee apples."

Merry ignored her teasing and smiled at Estella. "If you’ve closed up shop then you can come with us to hear them announce the winners of the carpentry competition. We were just getting ready to go back."

Estella smiled, "Anything for my best customer of the day." She linked her arm in his and the entire group began to walk toward the carpentry exhibit.

They had not gone far when Fredegar Bolger joined them. He fell into step beside of Pippin and said, "Fine looking wheelbarrow you have in the competition, Pippin. If it had been for sale I had a mind to bid on it."

"Really?" Pippin said looking surprised.

"I did indeed," Fredegar said. "I could make good use of those extra wheels. I am not at all fond of heavy lifting."

Pippin grinned. "If I weren’t giving it as a gift then I would be happy to sell it to you, Freddy."

"Well, if you ever build another one, keep me in mind will you?" Freddy asked.

Pippin flushed with pleasure. Right now, with the exception of Merry, there was not a happier hobbit in all the Shire. Frodo gave Fredegar a smile.

"You’ll have to join us for our celebration supper, Fredegar," Pearl said. "Nell and I are cooking dinner at Bag End tonight and I am sure that Frodo wouldn’t mind if you and Estella joined us."

"That’s a wonderful idea," Merry said before Fredegar could answer.

"Can we?" Estella asked Fredegar.

"Why of course we can," Fredegar said. "Never let it be said that any Bolger passed up an invitation to a meal! As it happens I have purchased several lovely pies at the fair today that might just make nice additions to your feast. I have them over in the back of my cart."

"You have pies left?" Merry teased.

"After the way you polished off those toffee apples, I wouldn’t discuss anyone else’s eating habits, Meriadoc," Fredegar said. "I managed to eat several pies today but I still have a few left."

"That would be perfect, Freddy," Pearl said.

"Any blueberry?" Pippin asked hopefully.

"Two, as it is a special favorite and so I bought a great number of those," Freddy said.

"Right now, all o’ you best get your minds off your stomachs and onto the judgin’" Hamfast warned. "I believe they’re about to commence. Best get up there to your wheelbarrow, Master Pippin."

"Oh, right," Pippin said. He reached out and took hold of Sam’s arm. "Come on, Sam. The instructors have to stand with their students for this part."

A startled Sam allowed himself to be led by Pippin to where the wheelbarrow awaited their return.

"I think that there’s a prize of some sort for the instructor," Saradoc whispered to Frodo.

Frodo grinned. "It’s a good thing that Sam doesn’t know that or he’d really be nervous," Frodo whispered. "It would be wonderful if Sam were to win something."

Saradoc patted Frodo on the shoulder and grinned. "I saw a set of shelves that reminded me of your carpentry lessons."

Frodo sighed. "I saw those and my heart went out to the lad who was standing beside of them."

Saradoc chuckled. "I was thinking about that lad's poor tutor."

Frodo gave Saradoc a wry smile. Frodo looked over to the wheelbarrow and saw Pippin fidgeting while poor Sam tried not to look too anxious. Sam never enjoyed being the center of attention. It always embarrassed him, but Pippin seemed right at home. The lad was all smiles and he kept waving at Pearl and Nell who waved back fondly.

"Good luck, Pip!" Merry shouted.

Pippin grinned at Merry and shouted back, "I just want Sam to win!"

Sam’s eyes widened and the Gaffer chuckled. "Little Took could ‘a gone all day without sayin’ that."

"You don’t know our little brother very well, do you?" Nell grinned. "If it’s the wrong thing to say, then Pippin will probably say it at least once and maybe twice."

Sam was listening as Pippin explained about the prize that was given for outstanding work by a tutor and everyone watched as the color drained from Sam’s face. Just as the judges were making their way to the center area, Berilac returned in a pair of Frodo’s trousers that were too short by several inches and a bit too tight. He moved in next to Fredegar and whispered, "Did I miss anything?"

"They’re just starting," Fredegar said and he eyed Berilac’s clothing curiously.

"It’s a long, rather unpleasant story," Berilac sighed. "Please don’t ask."

One of the judges whistled and everyone looked toward the front. "Thank you all for coming," he began. "Now, I want to say that this was one of the finest competitions that we have had in some years and so it was very difficult to select the winners. Before we get started, I just want all of you to give a big round of applause for our contestants. I think they have all done a fine job this year!"

Everyone cheered and clapped and Merry snickered as Pippin bowed slightly. Sam was still in shock over the news of a prize for the instructors. Nell placed her fingers in her mouth and let go with a whistle that would have made any lad proud and Pippin grinned at her. Pearl elbowed her younger sister and hissed, "That is not proper behavior for a lass." Nell just smiled and repeated her performance as Pearl rolled her eyes.

"Now, we have a great many awards to give out today so I am going to start us off with the honorable mention," the judge said. "That prize goes to one of Tobias Tunnely’s students. Will Elmer Grubb please come forward and receive his ribbon for the lovely carved headboard that you see just over there."  He pointed to the headboard.

Everyone applauded and Elmer Grubb, accompanied by Mister Tunnely, came forward and received his ribbon and a small wooden plaque. "Congratulations, lad," the judge said.

"Thank you, sir," Elmer said.

"A fine student you have there, Tobias," the judge said.

"I suspect you’ll be seeing me up here several more times," Tobias said loudly. "All of my students were excellent this year.  Experience, you know."

"That’s my boy!" Mister Grubb yelled and he poked Hamfast in the ribs so hard that the Gaffer nearly lost his breath. "Did you see my lad up there, Gaffer?’

"I did," Hamfast grunted. "Congratulations." He rubbed his ribs and straightened back up for the next award.  Hamfast hoped that Mister Grubb didn't have any more talented children in the competition or he was likely to need a healer's attention.

"Now, in third place we have a new-comer to the competition and the only student entered by a brand new tutor, Samwise Gamgee. So will everyone join me in congratulating Peregrin Took on his win for that fine wheelbarrow?" the judge said and thunderous applause erupted as Pippin practically bounced over to the judge with Sam at his heels.  Sam was grinning in relief and Pippin was so excited that he was ready to pop.

Nell gave Pearl a look, Pearl nodded, and Nell whistled again. This time, she was joined by Merry and Saradoc. Fredegar and Pearl were clapping hard and yelling while Estella, Frodo and Berilac shouted ‘Way to go, Pippin!’ at the top of their voices.

Hamfast took the opportunity to return a favor and elbowed Mister Grubb in the ribs. "My Sam’s the lad’s teacher!" he declared.

Mister Grubb groaned and nodded.  "Good for you, Gaffer."

"Here you are, Peregrin," the judge smiled when the noise had died down a bit. He handed the ribbon and a slightly larger plaque to a grinning Pippin.

"Thank you!" Pippin said and he waved to his family and friends as he held up the plaque. "Look, I’ve won something!"

"Nicely done, Mister Gamgee," the judge smiled patting Sam on the back as Pippin charged over and began showing off his ribbon and his plaque. Sam followed him catching sight of a sour-looking Mister Tunnely who was clapping politely.  Sam couldn't resist giving the old hobbit a grin as he passed him. 

With difficulty, Pippin and his supporters quieted down so that the next award could be given. "Our second place winner this year traveled here from Buckland to enter," the judge began. "So give a fine congratulations to one of Otto Greenhills’ students for this splendid rowboat, Tolberic Brandybuck!"

"Hey, he's family too!" Merry shouted and he waved to Tolberic who waved back. 

Saradoc clapped also. "I thought we had another, less important, relation in this contest," Saradoc grinned, patting Pippin on the head.

"That’s a wonderful boat," Pippin said, clapping.

"Dang it all!" someone in the back shouted. "Givin’ a prize for somethin’ as queer as a boat! What is this contest comin’ too?"

Pippin and his group clapped harder and Saradoc glared back into the crowd and said loudly, "If you’re ever in water up to your ears you’ll wish you had a boat!"

There was laughter as someone else shouted, "You tell ‘em Saradoc!"

Beaming, Tolberic Brandybuck accepted his ribbon and plaque and thanked the judge and then went to join his parents. Otto Greenhills was no where in sight and so the judge explained, "Otto couldn’t be here today because his oldest daughter is giving birth to her third child."

Again, Tobias Tunnely was clapping with a sour expression on his face. Merry turned and waved at him. "Nice boat isn’t it, Mister Tunnely?" Merry called just as the applause died down.

Mister Tunnely nodded weakly and looked back toward the judges. "Behave, Meriadoc," Saradoc hissed but his heart wasn’t really in his rebuke.

"Now, for our first place winner," the judge said. "This year we had quite a time deciding on a winner but once we saw the work of this young contestant we simply had to award her the prize. Her grandfather has built half of the furniture in Hobbiton and so she has been well-tutored. Please give a round of applause to our big winner of the day, tutored by Eldon Gladstone, the builder of one of the finest wardrobes that I have had the pleasure to see, Miss Holly Gladstone!"

"Whistle Nell, it’s my friend," Pippin said breaking into wild applause.

Nell gave Pearl a slight shrug and whistled loudly as Holly Gladstone and her grandfather made their way over to the judges.

"Way to go, Holly!" Pippin shouted and the lass waved to him just before taking her ribbon and plaque.

"Congratulations on a fine job, Miss Gladstone," the judge said with a smile.

"Thank you so very much," she said. "There were so many lovely things entered this year. I am proud to win."

"A real talent you’ve got there, Eldon, as well as a very gracious winner," the judge said.

"That she is," he said and he turned and smiled at Pippin. "And I like the looks of that three-wheeled-wheelbarrow too." He winked at Pippin who beamed back. As Mister Gladstone passed Mister Tunnely he said, "Just not your year, Tobias."

Merry howled with laughter and Frodo nudged him in the back. "Ease up and be a better sport, Merry." Frodo was biting his own lip to keep from smiling too widely.

"Pearl, can I invite Holly and her grandfather to dinner too?" Pippin asked. "After all, she has something to celebrate too."

Pearl looked quickly at Frodo who nodded. "After the awards are finished then go over and see if they can come and you might also have Merry to ask that nice Brandybuck lad who built that rowboat."

"Now, calm down, folks because we have two more awards to give out so don’t go leaving on us yet," the judge said waving his arms for silence.

"Two?" Merry frowned.

Frodo shrugged. "I know there’s the one for tutor but-"

"Sam’s award," Pippin broke in confidently.

"Now, Master Pippin, I don’t think," Sam began, but the judge was calling for quiet again and so he didn’t finish.

"This next award is for the most inventive project in the competition," the judge said.

"That coat-stool," Pippin guessed with a knowing smile.

"Every year, we like to award our young builders, not only for the quality and workmanship of their projects, but also for any new innovation that might either make an item sturdier, make it more useful, or make it more practical," the judge said. "This year there was no question in our minds as to the clear winner."

Pippin nodded. "Coat-stool," he told Merry.

"What's that?" Estella whispered.

"I can't discribe it," Merry whispered.  "You really have to see if for yourself."

"We had one entry that had a new twist and I must admit when I first saw it I had my doubts but the lad who built it explained it so well and demonstrated its practicality  and I must admit that I was completely convinced that it should win this award!" the judge continued.

"Well, don’t keep us in suspense, judge!" someone shouted from the rear of the group.

"Give a big round of applause to a young lad with a big idea!" the judge said. "Come and collect your prize for the invention of a three-wheeled wheelbarrow, Peregrin Took!"

Pippin looked stunned, "Me?" He looked at Merry. "What about that coat-stool?" he whispered.

"According to the builder, it still had a few bugs," Merry whispered, grinning proudly at Pippin.

"Go on, Pippin!" Pearl said and she gave him a push forward.

Pippin hurried up again to thunderous applause and a whistle from Nell. The judge extended the plaque to him and said, "I expect that the Shire will be full of three-wheeled wheelbarrows by this time next year thanks to you. How did you come up with it?"

"Well, I just always over-loading our wheelbarrow at home so I figured this would be easier than unloaded it and starting over," Pippin said with a modest shrug.

"What did your instructor have to say on the subject?" the judge asked.

"He told me that he thought it was a good idea and that I could give it a try," Pippin said. "That’s him over there, Samwise Gamgee, the best tutor that there ever was!"

"Well, that makes it official then, because he’s our winner for the tutor of the year award! Come on up here Sam and get your plaque," the judge said.

The applause, whistles and shouts were actually making some of the projects rattle as Sam, blushing from ear-to-ear, made his way up to join an excited Pippin. Hamfast elbowed Mister Grubb again and shouted, "That’s my Sam! That’s my lad!"

Grumbling and rubbing his ribs, Mister Grubb moved a few steps away from the excited Hamfast and took a hold of his wife's shoulders and moved her to the space between himself and the Gaffer.

"Here you are, Mister Gamgee," the judge said handing Sam a large plaque. "For a job well done. Of all of the projects here today, your student was allowed the most creativity in his work and he spoke most highly of your teaching. We hope you’ll become a regular at the competitions. There is nothing harder to find that a good teacher who inspires his student in the way that you have."

Sam cleared his throat and looked at his feet for a minute and then he said, "Well, I sure weren’t expectin’ this."

"I was!" Pippin crowed patting Sam on the back.

"You can bet that Mister Tunnely wasn't expecting it either," Merry whispered to Frodo who choked back a laugh.

"I just want to thank you all for this and to thank Master Pippin here, for bein’ such a fine student," Sam said. "Any instructor would have been lucky to have him."

More cheers erupted and Merry, who had managed to move closer to Mister Tunnely elbowed him hard in the ribs and said, "You hear that? Anyone would have been luck!"

Tunnely coughed and rubbed his ribs and then looked solemnly at Merry. "I believe you’re right, Meriadoc," he managed.

Merry’s eyes were wide now and he watched as Mister Tobias Tunnely approached Pippin and Sam right in front of everyone. Mister Tunnely extended his hand toward Pippin and said, "I am very sorry that I misjudged your talent, Master Took. I can assure you that in the future I will not make that mistake again. Congratulations on your victory."

Pippin smiled at him and accepted his hand. "I awfully sorry I hit you with a hammer, Mister Tunnely."

Mister Tunnely rubbed his head. "It’s much better now, lad."

"Do you want to come to dinner at my cousin Frodo’s," Pippin asked. "We’re celebrating."

"Oh, no, thank you lad.  I wouldn’t want to intrude," Mister Tunnely said.

"No intrusion," Sam said from behind Pippin.

"Thank you, Samwise that is most generous of you," Mister Tunnely said. "I do think that this celebration should be for you and your student. You did the job that I should have done and did it admirably." He shook hands with a very surprised Sam.

"Still, in a way you’re responsible for it all," Pippin said brightly. "If you hadn’t quit then I never would have got Sam for my tutor." Pippin grinned up at Mister Tunnely completely unaware that his remark was in any way offensive. "You should come to dinner too."

Merry snickered. "I love it when he says things like that."

Frodo groaned, rapped Merry on the head and walked over to Mister Tunnely. "You are welcome to join us, Tobias and so is your student who built that fine-looking headboard. Come to dinner and let us bury the hatchet or in this case, the hammer."

"Very well, I would be honored to eat dinner with the carpentry instructor of the year and his award-winning student," Mister Tunnely said.  "Thank you for your gracious offer, Mister Baggins and you also, Peregrin."

"Splendid!" Pippin crowed. "I have to go see if Holly can come." He dashed off.

"That one has a very forgiving nature," Mister Tunnely said.

"That is just one of the reasons why we are all so protective of him and so very proud of him," Frodo said with a smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dinner was a huge success and Frodo had so many guests that they sat up tables in the garden and ate outdoors. This solved the problem of having enough room but it also brought about the problem of uninvited guests. Never have dinner in your garden unless you are prepared to feed anyone who should pass by!

Fortunately, they had enough food and all of the uninvited guests congratulated the winners and made a fuss over Pippin’s wheelbarrow so everyone was welcome. At one point in the proceedings, Berilac Brandybuck stood and offered the most unusual toast of the evening, "I just want to say that I am sorry for any trouble that I might have caused by my unfortunate remarks.  It was dreadful of me and I regret it more than I can say," he said a bit sheepishly. "I also want to thank cousin Frodo for inviting me to the dinner in spite of my behavior and for loaning me these trousers after I accidently sat in cow dung." This drew laughs from everyone as Berilac modeled his too small trousers good-naturedly.

Pippin’s new friend Holly sat next to him during dinner and they talked about carpentry as if both had been building things for years. During the meal, the lad who had built the coat-stool dropped by to deliver it to its new owner.  It seems that Pippin hadn't been unable to resist buying it.  Frodo watched as Pippin paid the lad for the strange contraption and then invited him to have something to eat.  The young inventor pocketed his money and sat down next to Pippin and Holly.  He promptly joined their conversation as Pearl sat a full plate in front of him. 

"That is the finishing touch to Pippin's new room," Merry told Frodo pointing to the coat-stool which was now sitting just behind Pippin's seat at the table.  "Aren't you glad that he was able to get it cheap?"

"I can't tell you how it makes me feel," Frodo said.  "I might just ask the lad to build one for your room."

"I don't think it will match anything in my room," Merry grinned.  "But it will fit in perfectly with Pippin's things.  In fact, I can't think of any room in the Shire that it would look good in *except* Pippin's."

Just as the meal was winding down and everyone was filling up their corners or lighting their pipes, Pippin jumped to his feet and went over to get his wheelbarrow. "If it’s all right with everyone, I should like to give my wheelbarrow to the hobbit that I have wanted to give it to since I started working on it," Pippin said. "Well, since I started working on it with Sam, anyway."

"Go ahead, Pippin," Frodo said.

Pippin pushed the wheelbarrow over and parked it next to a rather surprised Hamfast Gamgee. "Here Mister Gamgee, I want you to have this," he said.

"Me?" the Gaffer asked. "Well, what did I do to deserve this fine gift?"

"Well, I think you may be one of the reasons that Sam let me build it," Pippin grinned. "When I was explaining about the two extra wheels to Sam, he told me that he thought it would be good for someone with a bad back like yours. He said that you could use one like this and so now you have one." 

Hamfast looked over at Pippin and grinned. "It’s the finest present that these old bones of mine have got in some time, lad. I don’t know how to thank you."

"You already have," Pippin smiled.

"I have?’ the Gaffer frowned.

"You let Sam tutor me and that’s how I built this in the first place so my first wheelbarrow should be yours," Pippin said.

"Your first?" Merry asked.

"I’m thinking of building a couple more of them," Pippin grinned. "There’s more summer left and Sam did say he’d help me a bit more when he had time so I figure it might be a good idea to build more of them."

"I think that’s a fine notion!" Hamfast grinned and he gave Pippin a hug. "You and my Sam make a fine team."

Merry leaned over and whispered to Frodo, "Do you think the Shire is ready for all of these three-wheeled wheelbarrows?"

"I do indeed," Frodo said. "I can only hope that Pippin owns the only coat-stool, but more three-wheeled wheelbarrows will be welcome."

"Put me on your list, Pippin," Fredegar said. "There’s no hobbit in all the Shire who’d enjoy a wheelbarrow that’s less work than I would."

"I’ll put you down for the next one, Freddy," Pippin grinned.

Just then there was a loud ripping noise and everyone looked at Berilac who was backing up toward the smial and blushing. "I think I’ve ruined your trousers, Frodo," he said embarrassed. 

Merry laughed and came over to his cousin. "I think you’ve suffered enough, Berilac. Why don’t I loan you a pair of mine?"  He put an arm about Berilac's shoulders and helped him back into the smial.

"Here, Pippin let’s test this thing out," the Gaffer grinned. "Stack them dishes and things in it and we’ll wheel it to the kitchen for a quicker clean up!"

Pippin grinned and began to pile Frodo’s dishes in the wheelbarrow. "I’m on clean up!" he called out.

"You’re one of the guests of honor. You can’t be on clean up," Fredegar objected.

"The cooks are asleep and so I think someone had better step in," Pippin grinned as he looked over at his two older sisters who were sitting on the grass against a tree napping. "Looks like if I don’t help we’ll not have a Took in the kitchen." He put another plate into the wheelbarrow and grinned at the Gaffer. "This is a great idea, Gaffer. Maybe I should build a wheelbarrow that is made just for clearing dishes."

"Sam, I believe you’ve started something," Saradoc grinned. "The Shire really will be filled with three-wheeled wheelbarrows by this time next year."

Sam just grinned and lit his pipe. Master Pippin couldn’t have given him a better gift.  He wouldn’t have to worry so much about days when his old Gaffer was working alone. Now, he would know that the Gaffer wasn’t straining his back nearly as much because of the new wheelbarrow. As he watched his father push the wheelbarrow easily around the tables while Pippin and Holly loaded it up, he smiled.

"So will you be opening a carpentry business now, Sam?" Saradoc asked.

"No, sir, Mister Brandybuck, sir," Sam said. "I suspect that I’ll be helpin’ Master Pippin to build a few more o’ his special wheelbarrows, but I think I’ll be goin’ back to gardenin’. I don’t think I can go through any more o’ them contests."

"So, the finest carpentry tutor in all of the Shire will be giving up a promising career as a builder to continue gardening?" Saradoc asked.

"Yes, sir," Sam said. "I’m a gardener and I suspect that’s all I'll ever want to be. I like watchin’ things grow and helpin’ them on their way."

"I think you’ve spent the summer doing exactly that, my friend," Frodo said coming over and putting an arm around Sam’s shoulders. "Pippin looks a bit taller than when the summer started and he certainly is on his way."

The End

G.W. 10/31/2005





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List