Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

New Roads and Secret Gates  by Citrine

9. Golden Slumbers

"What was Uncle Frodo like?" Little Elanor asked. Mam was abed with the new babe in her arms, and Frodo-lad was asleep in his own trundle bed. Dad sat peeling an apple, and Elanor on a stool at his feet.

Sam paused. "Well now. He weren't just like any other hobbit. He was tall, and fairer than some. But it was what was inside him what was different, a light I could see if I looked at him just so, so lovely it hurt your heart." Sam sighed deeply, then put the apple aside and patted his knee."Here, Elanorelle, climb up before you catch a chill."

Elanor crawled up beside him. Uncle Frodo went away and Daddy missed him, Mam said, and she should cuddle Dad often because of that. "He was a hero."

"Yes," Sam said. "Though he never thought so." Sam looked down at Elanor. "Do you remember him at all, love?"

Elanor wanted to say yes, but she had to shake her head. "Did he sing?"

"Sometimes," Sam said. "But only for you. Would you like to hear it?" Elanor nodded, and Sam pressed her head to his shoulder to hide his tears. "Golden slumbers fill your eyes..."

********************

 the end

(Of this, but more ficlets to come...)

Written for the Toilanddrouble Beatles Challenge, where the challenge was to write a double-drabble and end it with a Beatles lyric. A slightly more angsty, expanded version of this double-drabble can be found at my page at Fanfic.net, and also here:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/citrine2/60892.html#cutid1





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List