Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Trinkets on the Wayside  by Wayfarer

TRINKETS ON THE WAYSIDE


by Wayfarer
(closetwayfarer at yahoo dot com)

Paired Drabble: A Kindling Of Kindred Spirits

SUMMARY
Paired drabble: The Lord and Lady of Ithilien, pre-union.

Him

Ever the lesser choice, he walked on the edge of his lord's favour. But he forshook himself never; in kinship and his love of Gondor he took solace. To his lasting regret, when guardianship failed upon Osgiliath’s bridge, he conceded to Boromir the seeking of his dream. Despite his grief, his faith stayed true, and with his sight he deemed it worth defying the Steward’s law to proffer aid for the Halfing’s perilous journey. And after he was seared in his father's belated love, who could rekindle his smile but a kindred spirit wandering the Houses of Healing with him?

Her

Beset by licentious gaze, in service to a dispirited ruler, lonely thoughts consumed by flights of heroics, hers was a hobbled spirit yearning for a place beyond the hall, among the Riders. When the strangers intruded, she saw the way, faithful to a fancy that withered ere her tears were dry. Through wile and obstinacy, she found a place in the weapontake, a new friend, and the ride into heartbreak. Steelsheen glimmer blazed as she allayed her grief to break unassailable might, a deed beyond men. But after, she faded until bonds of kindred spirits kindled again her long-lost smile.


NOTES
Completed on 30 May 2004. My first drabbling attempt. As usual, Avallon solely to blame!




        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List