Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Letters From Faramir  by Agape4Gondor

My deepest thanks belong to Fíriel Fairbairn, great-granddaughter of Fastred and Elanor.  Fíriel, like her mother and her grandmother before her, became a maid of honor to Queen Arwen in the later days of King Elessar's rule.  With the Queen's approval, she spent much of her time going through records in Prince Faramir's quarters at Minas Tirith.  She then undertook many prolonged journeys to Henneth Annûn.  While she was in Henneth Annûn, she discovered a stash of letters hidden in a secret drawer in Prince Faramir's writing desk.  She brought the letters back with her to Minas Tirith.   She turned to your humble compiler who spent a full year deciphering them.  Unfortunately, there had been water damage to many of the pages.  Blood also covered a few of the letters.  Regrettably, some of the words and phrases were indistinguishable, due to said damage.  During our restoration, we discovered that Faramir's hand was not the only one that had touched these pages.  Another hand, of unknown origin, had written short little notes, as if the writer had witnessed Prince Faramir's efforts and had taken the time, sometime in the course of events, or perhaps afterwards, to add them to the letters.  After much close work with the archivists from the Great Library at Minas Tirith, the letters were restored, as well as possible, and given to King Elessar. 

My heartfelt thanks belong to King Elessar himself who gave this unworthy compiler permission to copy the letters and publish them.  The originals were taken, with King Elessar's permission, to Undertowers, where they are now stored with Sam Gamgee's 'The Red Book of Westmarch' and the illustrious three-volume tome, 'Translations from the Elvish.'

My undying thanks belong to Queen Arwen, without whose support and compassion these letters would never have been found, nor restored.  Her deep love and respect for her husband's Steward are widely known.   

Thanks must also be given to my scribe, Ingond, youngest son of Hirgon the Brave. It was at the Queen's urging that I asked the young man to be my scribe.  He proved a fast learner and worthy of the role.  His father, though he had been murdered before Ingond's birth, would have been most proud of him. 

Your humble compiler,

Agape4Gondor

First edition under the pseudonym, Agape4Rivendell





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List