Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

Thanks for the reviews! They are much appreciated :)


Prompt Two: 'Rain'
Ficlet: Anywhere But Here
Rating: G
Third Age, borders of the Shire

He hated the rain.

He really, really hated the rain.

There was an old saying that he heard the Halflings say often during this time of the year: April showers bring May flowers.

Well, those Halflings weren’t stuck crouching in the undergrowth in the middle of the night, with the skies releasing their fury upon you by trying to make you as miserable as possible. He would like to see them try and stick out the night. He bet that they wouldn’t last five minutes in this terrible weather. His frown deepened as he thought about them being all warm and cozy in their little holes right now. What he wouldn’t do to be back with his beloved… As he thought of her, a small smile came to his lips and he forgot about the terrible weather for a moment.

“Miserable weather, isn’t it?”

He jumped and looked to his right, to where another man had just appeared. “Aye, sir,” he said in agreement. “Miserable.”

His Chieftain nodded, and then gave the younger man a look. “Gilorn,” he started, “I have been sitting here for a few minutes and you did not even blink an eye in my direction. You know that inattentiveness could be your downfall.”

Gilorn was happy that it was dark, for he did not want his Chieftain to see him blush. “Of course, sir,” he said. “I was just thinking.”

“About how you’d rather be anywhere but here?”

The younger man hesitated, and then gave a small nod. To his amazement, the Chieftain broke out in a grin.

“Aye, as would I, and all of us,” he said with a small nod, drawing his hood closer. “Take some rest; I shall do the rest of the watch.”

“Are you sure, sir?”

“Quite,” he responded with a smile. “There should be a spot near Halbarad where it is a bit drier. Get some rest, and dream of warmer places.”

Gilorn nodded, stood up, and left his Chieftain crouching in the bushes. Aragorn stared after the young man, looked up at the sky, and tried to make himself comfortable. As it started to rain harder, only one thought was on his mind.

He hated the rain.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List