Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

Thanks for everyone who is reading, and extra kudos to those who take their time to review! Each review is highly appreciated :-)

It was very difficult to do this one. I hope I did this scene justice.


Prompt Four: Broken
Ficlet: Fallen
Rating: PG
Fields of Pelennor; After the battle

He found him, but part of him wished that he hadn’t. For with discovery the edging doubt in the back of his mind disappeared; if had never found him, that doubt would always be there, and that would be a small comfort. However, now he knew the truth, and oh! how bitter that truth was.

He was not sure how it had happened. They were quickly surrounded by the Enemy; hundreds, if not thousands of them, were all around them, and already many were dead upon the field, both friend and foe. The chances of victory had been slim, but somehow they had succeeded, and had won that day.

But at such a terrible price.

Aragorn fell to his knees as he looked upon the broken staff that bore the standard, and right beside it, his kinsman. Halbarad’s eyes were closed, and though his body was covered in dark, drying blood, his face was at peace. He gently brushed a strand of hair out of his face, and stared at him, all comprehension of time gone. He was lost within his own thoughts as he remembered all of his times with him; the first time they had met, the patrols they had gone on together, the times where they had comforted one another… Halbarad’s wedding, the birth of his children, and grandchildren… Halbarad’s encouraging words in times of doubt and despair… oh, how would he live without him?

He felt a tear escape his bloodshot eyes and fall upon his knees. But suddenly, an unknown strength came to him. Right now was not a time to weep. Nay; there were other things to do. He could mourn for his lost kinsman later.

The heir of Isildur stood, taking the body and the standard into his arms. Halbarad’s sacrifice will not be in vain. They would conquer the Dark Lord, and the dead would be able to rest in peace, knowing that their sacrifice was worth it.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List