Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

Not at all hard to come up with; I just had to find time to write it XD It does go over the word limit, though... I could have cut it shorter if I had wished, but I loved putting in that history part, so I really didn't want to. Ah well *grin*


'But when Estel was only twenty years of age, it chanced that he returned to Rivendell after great deeds in the company of the sons of Elrond; and Elrond looked at him and was pleased, for he saw that he was fair and noble and was early come to manhood, though he would yet become greater in body and in mind. That day therefore Elrond called him by his true name, and told him who he was and whose son; and he delivered to him the heirlooms of his house.' ROTK, Appendix A, Part V.

Prompt Eight: Hidden
Ficlet: Line of Kings
Rating: G
Year 2951, Rivendell

The young man approached the door, knocked, and waited. A voice from inside the room called for him to enter, and he stepped inside Elrond's private library. The elf-lord, one he had known as a father for eighteen years, was sitting behind his desk, deep in thought. Elrond looked up, and when he saw him, he smiled.

"You have changed, Estel," he said.

The young man smiled at the comment, and replied, "We were only gone for a few months, adar."

"Yet you have changed, nevertheless," Elrond rebutted, offering his foster son a seat. Estel gladly took it, for he had not had the chance to rest just yet. When he and his older brothers had returned to Imladris after months of scouring the lands for orcs and other foul creatures, his father had asked him to see him as soon as he had cleaned himself up. Quickly he had greeted his mother, washed himself, had a quick bite to eat, and within a quarter of an hour he was ready to see what Elrond wanted with him.

Elrond could tell that his son was weary, but this had to be done. Estel was ready to hear about his name and his hidden ancestry.

"You know of Eärendil and his sons," started Elrond. Estel, clearly surprised by this question, nodded. "You know that I am his son, and that my twin brother, Elros, chose to be mortal and was the first king of Númenor." The young man nodded once more, and the elf continued. "The line of Elros continued on, even after Númenor was destroyed. Elendil and his sons came to Middle-earth and fought alongside Gil-galad in the Last Alliance against Sauron. After Elendil and his sons were dead, the lines of Isildur and Anárion continued on in Arnor and Gondor. By the year 2050 of this age, the line of Anárion is gone, and the rule of the kings ended there. Seventy-five years before, the realm of Arnor fell and King Arvedui was lost." Estel nodded once again; he did not know why Elrond was telling him this, for all of this he knew.

Elrond continued. "However, Arvedui had a son, and his line continued on. Even to this day, an heir to Isildur remains in hiding, for the Enemy is ever on the lookout to destroy the last heirs of the man who brought him his downfall." It was then that he looked at his foster-son straight in the eye. "Isildur's hidden heir is young still; he has just reached manhood, but is strong and wise for his age. He was two when his father died, and ever since then he has been in hiding. For eighteen years he has been hidden from the world, and for eighteen years he has not been called by his true name." Elrond saw slow realization come to Estel's face, but there was still a hint of disbelief; he would not think it true until Elrond completed his speech.

"His name is Aragorn... and he is you," he finally said. Estel was staring at him in shock, and truly the elf could not blame him. But he was not yet done.

"You are Aragorn, son of Arathorn, heir of Isildur and the line of kings," he said. "We are distant kin, for you are also an heir of Elros." He then opened a chest that was on his desk, and took out two of the three items within it. He gave Estel, now Aragorn, the ring of Barahir and the shards of Narsil, but withheld the Sceptre of Annúminas.*

"Now go and rest," he said to Aragorn. "You have much to think about. We can talk more about this later."

The man was still for a moment, but finally, he nodded and left the room with his heirlooms.

Elrond sighed and sat down. This would be a heavy burden for the young man, and it would remain a burden for many years to come. However, if he could overcome his burden and succeed in fulfilling his destiny, he saw great, great things in store for him. But if he did not, then it could very well mean the doom of mankind.

He could only wait, and hope.


*Full dialogue of this scene can be found in Appendix A, Part V, of Return of the King.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List