Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

Prompt 39: Cradle
Ficlet: Looking on the Past
Rating: G
The Angle, Fall 2951

Sarnhold was the largest and longest-lived establishment of the Dúnedain in the Angle. It is where the Chieftains of the Dúnedain had lived when they were not out wandering, and where their wives had raised their children for generations. In the fortified village there stood the chieftain's house; this house, empty for nearly two decades, was about to be entered once more.

Aragorn had entered the village with the small party that had just returned from Rivendell. While they knew his identity, the leader of the group thought it best for the acting Chieftain to know about his coming before the rest of the populace caught wind of it. Therefore they had entered the village just before dawn when the town was still waking up and the people were not yet outside.

One of the Rangers had led him to the house and had left him there quite suddenly, though Aragorn could not remember the reason why. All he knew was that this house was his mother's and father's house before the latter had passed away. A sudden hesitancy took over his body as he went to go inside. Pushing aside such nonsense, he opened the door and quickly shut it before he could change his mind.

It was not much different than other houses in Sarnhold; indeed, from the outside there was little distinguishing this building from the others. Inside did not seem to be much different; the furniture was plain, the cushions worn, and there was no obvious show of wealth or power. One item, however, caught his attention.

Beyond the open door into the adjourning bedroom he saw a cradle. Slowly Aragorn approached, almost as if he were unsure as to what to make of the foreign device. There was no need for cradles in Rivendell, and he could not remember if he had one there when he was younger. He knew, however, that many years ago this cradle was his.

He laid a gentle hand on its side and moved his fingers across the wood. It was smooth, smooth enough so no splinters would hurt the child inside. It also looked newer than much of the furniture inside of the house, and he could not help but feel touched that his parents- maybe even his father- would go through the trouble of constructing him a new cradle for when he was born. When he touched the wood, he could almost feel the love that was poured into this piece. Was that the love his birth father had borne for him?

A sudden knock at his door interrupted his thoughts. Turning away from the cradle, he strode over to the door and opened it. He could think on his parents later. Right now he needed to confront the present, and go where his destiny led him.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List