Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

Prompt 49: Custom
Ficlet: From the North
Rating: G
Minas Tirith, 2976 TA

"What are you doing?"

Thorongil looked up in surprise to see the youngest of Prince Adrahil's children, Imrahil, staring at him. The young prince gave a short bow to the captain. "Forgive my intrusion, Captain Thorongil; I did not realize it was you."

Thorongil waved it off and gave a bow of his own. "You are not intruding, my lord; I meant to step out for only a moment and lost myself."

Imrahil nodded, glancing past the balcony where his sister danced with Lord Denethor. "It is rather loud in there, isn't it? Finduilas does look happy, though."

"May she be blessed with never-ending happiness."

Imrahil smiled, and then glanced once more at the strange device in Thorongil's hand. "If I may be so brash, lord, but what is that odd instrument you hold? I have never seen the likes of it before."

Thorongil chuckled as he glanced down at said instrument. "It is a pipe, my lord, used for smoking. The custom is from the North and quite common there, though it does not seem known in these lands."

"How strange," Imrahil said, obviously fascinated by the pipe. "May I see it?"

"Of course." Thorongil handed the pipe over to the young man. "I haven't smoked recently, but an old friend came down not too long ago and had some leaf. It is a comfort I have not enjoyed for a long while."

"You smoke leaf?" Imrahil asked as he inspected the pipe. "Very strange indeed! I am afraid I do not see the comfort in it, myself." He handed the device back to Thorongil. "It is a wonder to hear of such customs so unlike ours." He glanced back to the main event. "If you will excuse me, Captain Thorongil, I am sure I have some brotherly obligations to fulfill for this reception."

Thorongil bowed briefly as the young man departed, and then began to smoke once more, fondly remembering days from the North long past.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List