Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

I need to spend less time on LiveJournal and more time writing.

That said, tipsy elves are fun!

Part of the continuing series that starts with 35- Birthday and 48- Food. 


Prompt 52: Wine
Ficlet: Loose Tongues
Rating: G
Rivendell, March 1, 3007 TA

Bilbo sighed with content as he listened to Lindir recite a tale concerning the old city of Gondolin. It was wonderful to relax in the Hall of Fire after a feast- and my, what a feast it was. The cooks had done well with such little time for preparation, and the old hobbit had seen that Estel was flattered and even a bit embarrassed by the attention. Right now, though, the man was speaking with a couple of elves and clearly enjoying himself. In the end, Bilbo thought that Elladan and Elrohir had done well with such short-term preparations.

The elven brothers were nearby, sipping wine and laughing with one another over some sort of inside jest. Bilbo chuckled and decided to join them and give them his compliments.

"You two did well," Bilbo said in greeting as the two turned to acknowledge them. "I have not seen Estel at such a loss of words before."

"Oh, it happens at times," Elladan chuckled. "It can be difficult, but Elrohir and I have known him long enough to know how to get such a reaction."

"Indeed," Elrohir said after a long draught from his own cup, "as Aragorn has grown it is ever more difficult to get him in such a state. Nonetheless it has been years since anyone has celebrated his birthday so lavishly; I suppose he has forgotten about all the ridiculous things the cooks can prepare for such occasions."

"Or the ridiculous stories we save for such occasions," Elladan put in. Elrohir laughed and raised his glass in acknowledgement.

Bilbo smiled, but one thing about their statement puzzled him. Encouraged by their loose tongues from the elvish wine, the hobbit approached the subject without preamble. "I did not realize that Estel was Aragorn."

Elrohir started, looking at the hobbit with surprise. "He has not told you? I am surprised; it is clear that he thinks highly of you. Have you not heard that name in this house before?"

"Oh, I have heard it a couple times throughout the years, but I did not make the association," Bilbo said. He quickly went through what Sindarin he knew in his head, frowning slightly at what his knowledge said about the name. "The 'ar' prefix- from what I know, that is a royal prefix- but I must be mistaken," he said thoughtfully, glancing at the two elves as he pondered over it.

Elladan glanced at his brother before turning to the hobbit. "I would ask Estel about it on the morrow," he said. "It is his story to tell."

Bilbo nodded in acceptance before he left the brothers to retire for the night. He sent one last glance at Aragorn, wondering what he would learn from the man in the morning.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List