Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

This is part of the mini-series of prompts, with previous prompts in said series being 35, 48, and 52.


Prompt 54: Friendship
Fic: A New Name
Rating: G
Imladris, March 2, 3007 TA

It was just after second breakfast and Bilbo was sipping on some tea when there was a knock on his door. He called his visitor in, and felt a sense of déjà vu as Estel came through his door.

"Estel! What a pleasure to see you again," Bilbo said with a smile. "Would you like some tea?"

"No, thank you," the man chuckled, sitting himself across from the hobbit. "Elladan hinted that you wished to speak to me; is there aught wrong?" Aragorn asked, concern etched on his face.

"Oh no, no, there's nothing wrong," Bilbo said, fumbling for the correct words to approach the subject. "I'm not surprised it was Elladan rather than Elrohir, since it was the latter who let it slip last night- I do hope you are not angry with him, though, he certainly did not mean it."

"Let slip what last night?" the man asked, a slight frown on his face.

"Well- oh, goodness me, how do I say this- I suppose a direct manner would be best. I know that the elves here call you both Estel and the Dúnadan. I learned another name of yours last night, quite by accident."

Aragorn was silent for a moment. "Which one?"

"Aragorn."

The man leaned back in his chair, his gaze even on the hobbit. "You have not heard the name before?"

"Oh, I've heard it a couple times over the years, but I never made the connection."

"You know Sindarin, Bilbo, as well as much of the lore of Middle-earth."

"So I do- well, a little. I'm no lore-master like Elrond, of course, but I know my fair share."

"You know the name's significance?"

"I have my guesses, but I don't want to jump to conclusions."

Aragorn nodded, and fell silent for a while as he studied the hobbit. Finally he said, "I have only spoken with you a few times in my long life, but I have liked you since our first meeting all those years ago. Gandalf trusts you, and I trust Gandalf's judgment."

"That is quite flattering, Estel."

The man smiled. "I speak truthfully. Gandalf does trust you, and I have heard great things about your deeds from many. It is your own merit that allows me to speak as freely as I will now." Aragorn paused. "You likely noted the prefix, and guessed its meaning." At Bilbo's nod, he continued. "The prefix has been given to the eldest son of each of my ancestors since the days of Argeleb I of Arthedain."

"Arthedain, Arthedain... was that not one of the kingdoms of Arnor?" Bilbo asked.

"Indeed so. And before Arnor was split into three, my ancestors ruled over the kingdom of Arnor, while my distant relations ruled over the southern kingdom of Gondor."

Bilbo silently recalled all the history he knew about Arnor's and Gondor's kings, and his eyes widened in realization. "You are then the direct heir of King Elendil." Aragorn silently nodded. "Oh my. You have quite an interesting ancestry, my lad."

The man laughed. "You could say that, my friend." He then stood up and said, "Forgive me, but I promised this time to another. I must be going."

"Of course, of course," Bilbo said, waving him off. "Get along now, then! And thank you for entrusting me with such a secret."

"As I said, Bilbo Baggins, you earned such trust. Farewell, for now." Aragorn gave him a short bow and left the room.

Bilbo sipped on his tea thoughtfully as he absorbed this new information. As he did so, the start of a poem snuck its way through his head. The hobbit stood up suddenly, and went through his drawers to find a scrap piece of parchment before the words disappeared. For the next couple of hours Bilbo found himself creating something quite unexpected, and when he was finally finished, he knew that he had something special in his hands.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List