Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

Sequel to 42: Peace.


Prompt 73: Garden
Ficlet: New Growth
Rating: G
Minas Tirith, April 3020

Spring arrived, and with it came the greatest blooming Gondor had seen in many years. Charred and broken trees in Ithilien slowly crumbled away only to be replaced with new shoots that would one day be majestic trees. Old groves that once dotted the Pelennor, thought forever gone after the War, showed new signs of life from deep roots untouched by battle and frost.

In Minas Tirith, there was little greenery yet, but in the heights of the Citadel one of the Queen's greatest joys was tending to the gardens there. Arwen loved every corner of the vast garden, but she paid special attention to the small, hidden area beyond the locked door.

Both Faramir and Aragorn gladly relayed to her stories of what it was like when Finduilas cared for it, before her death and its fading. It would be many years before it could even rival its former beauty, but her days of tender care seemed to already have an effect upon it.

Even as the old, war-torn lands about Minas Tirith saw new life, the garden did as well. Arwen's eyes lit in delight as she saw the first blossom of spring. A white rose had just opened and was beginning to widen. Several thick, closed buds were gathered around it; they would open soon.

She found her husband and took him excitedly to her garden. Aragorn smiled brightly as she presented its first growth. "It is wonderful to see this old place growing once more, and a joy to me to see you so happy."

Arwen's eyes twinkled. "This is just the beginning, my love. These flowers are eager to grow, and we shall see many more things from this garden in the years to come."

"I greatly look forward to the years ahead." He came closer and she happily met his loving embrace.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List