Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

When the King Comes Back  by shirebound

This chapter references “Quarantined” chapters 3, 7, and 19.

With SurgicalSteel’s gracious permission, I have borrowed the ‘backstory’ of Halbarad courting Serindë, the female healer of Bree, from her marvelous ongoing tale “The King’s Surgeon”. 


WHEN THE KING COMES BACK

Chapter  Seven – Concerning Dwarves

But in the Third Age close friendship was still found in many places between Men and Dwarves; and it was according to the nature of the Dwarves that, travelling and labouring and trading about the lands ... they should use the languages of men among whom they dwelt.  ‘Appendix F’, The Return of the King


Aragorn’s headache seemed quite bad, so Halbarad retrieved from Frodo’s room the medicine the healer had left.  He mixed a small portion with water, as instructed, and encouraged Aragorn to drink it.  Only when his chieftain was sleeping did Halbarad leave his side.  He sat for a short time next to Frodo’s bed, glad that the boy was also sleeping peacefully.  He looked around for Scamp, but didn’t see her.

Only when Halbarad allowed himself a moment to relax did he realize how hungry he was.  He removed the cloak and outer tunic he was still wearing from that morning, then went to the bathing room, splashed his face with water, and washed his hands.  He was startled to realize that it was evening already; lamps had been lit throughout the smial, and small but cheery hearthfires were blazing in several rooms.

In the kitchen, Halbarad found some delicious-smelling soup in a pot on the stove, and ladled some into a bowl.  On the counter was bread, preserved meats, fruit, and small cakes.  He piled some sliced bread on a plate, and went into the dining room where Bilbo sat eating his own supper.

“So,” Bilbo said with a wry grin, “how was your day, Halbarad?”

The young ranger laughed out loud, and sat down.  The hobbits’ way of speaking lightly during dire circumstances was always a delight.

“Bilbo, please let me repay you for Mistress Brownlock’s fee; what does she charge?”

Bilbo chuckled.  “I distinctly recall having this same conversation with Aragorn, a few years back.  I need no recompense, Halbarad, although I appreciate your offer.”

“Are you certain?”

Bilbo nodded.

“Very well, and thank you.  You are most kind.”  Halbarad started in on his soup.  “Frodo seems to be sleeping soundly; what did the healer say?”

“That we should expect a bit of fever, but nothing worse.”  Bilbo shook his head.  “Keeping Frodo abed will be most difficult; I’ve been through this before.”

“Aragorn told me about Frodo’s illness when they first met.  I understand it was quite grave.”

“Yes,” Bilbo said quietly.

“I put Aragorn’s weapons into one of your storage closets,” Halbarad continued.  “I hear that the boy injured himself with a knife in his delirium.”

“That he did.  Thank you, Halbarad,” Bilbo said.  “Tell me how Aragorn is faring.”

“I wish I knew,” Halbarad sighed, spreading sweet butter on a thick slice of bread.  “He is uninjured save for the bump on his head, but his memories seem affected.  He does not remember that he is our chieftain.”

“Who does he think he is?” Bilbo asked, astonished.

“An ordinary Ranger... named Estel.  I gave him a bit of the medicine Mistress Brownlock left; I believe he will sleep for awhile.”  Halbarad suddenly realized how quiet it was.  “Has everyone gone?”

“Sam took Scamp out for a walk,” Bilbo replied.  “He’ll be staying the night in Frodo’s room, helping to look after things.  If we need the Gamgees for anything, Master Hamfast wants me to send Sam down to the Row.”

“Wake me if you need anything, Bilbo, not that lad,” Halbarad said.  “I doubt I will sleep much tonight.”

“But you must try,” Bilbo said seriously.  “Don’t you have to leave early in the morning?”

Halbarad was silent for a few moments.  “Yes,” he said finally.  “I can hardly bear the thought of leaving, but I must.”  He sighed again.  “I do not even know precisely where the Dwarves will expect to meet us, or what Aragorn planned to say to them.”

“As for where...” Bilbo got up and retrieved the map he and Aragorn had studied the previous evening.  He showed Halbarad a spot at the southeastern edge of Lake Evendim, then rolled up the parchment.  “Take this with you.”

“Thank you,” Halbarad said gratefully.  “That will be most useful, Bilbo.”  He smiled at the hobbit.  “I wish you could accompany me.  I understand you spent many months in the company of Dwarves, years ago.”

“That is true.”

“Do they speak...” Halbarad hesitated.

“They speak the Common Tongue when among those of other races, do not worry about that,” Bilbo assured him.  He leaned forward.  “Halbarad, Aragorn told me only a little about this meeting with the Dwarves, but enough for me to know that you do not need to fear.  You need only represent your people, and agree to their exploring the hills near the lake for minerals.  There is much about the Dwarves they keep secret and hidden, but they also seem anxious to stay on good terms with the Dúnedain.  This meeting seems a formality, nothing more.”

“I will seem a mere child to them.”

“You are a mere child,” Bilbo laughed merrily.  “We ancient folk cannot help but think so.”

“You do not seem very---”

“Ah, but I am.  However, age matters not; the Dwarves will show you respect, if you do the same.  Just watch out for their ale, and their songs!”  Bilbo’s eyes twinkled.  “They will have you off on an adventure to find gold or gems and we will never see you again!”

“Mr. Bilbo?”  Sam came into the dining room, followed by Scamp.

“There you are,” Bilbo smiled at the lad.  “Please consider this your home for tonight, Samwise.  If you get hungry, or need to use anything--”

“Thank you, sir,” Sam said respectfully.  “Is it all right if I... read to Mr. Frodo?  I don’t know if he’ll hear me or not, but--”

“Perhaps he will,” Bilbo said softly.  “That’s a wonderful idea, lad.  Halbarad and I will come and set up a spare bed for you next to Frodo’s.”

When Sam had left the room, Scamp settled under the table at Bilbo’s feet.

“What will you do with the pups?” Halbarad asked.

“That’s the second time you’ve asked that,” Bilbo said, remembering the previous evening.  He eyed the man shrewdly.  “Do you wish to have one, Halbarad?  I can speak with Frodo about it.  I would not have thought that a Ranger’s life would be the best for tending to a pet.”

“It would not be for me, exactly, but...”

“Halbarad, are you blushing?”  Bilbo grinned.  “Who is she?”

Halbarad laughed nervously.  “Her name is Serindë.  She is a healer, in Bree.”

“Your wife?”

“My...” Halbarad smiled in a way Bilbo had not seen from him before.  “We are courting.  Aragorn does not know... no one knows, actually.”

“Halbarad, I have been keeping secrets for over 50 years,” Bilbo assured him.  “Aragorn will not hear of this from me.”  He poured himself a fresh cup of tea.  “So... you believe this fine lady would enjoy looking after a Shire pup?”

“It would be company for her,” Halbarad said fervently.  “She is often alone.”  He smiled again.  “She reminds me of Sam’s father, believe it or not.  Rather gruff on the outside, but under the surface there is much...”

“Love,” Bilbo said.  Halbarad nodded.

Bilbo put down his teacup and stared into it.  “I love Frodo as my own son,” he said after a moment.  “This is... difficult.”

“I can imagine,” Halbarad said, wondering if he would have children of his own to worry over someday.  “Bilbo, I am truly sorry that I have to leave you alone here, but I will return as soon as possible.”

“I know,” Bilbo said.  “However, I suspect that the Gamgees will not permit me to be alone very much!  They are wonderful neighbors, and very good friends.”

“Did they bring all that food in the kitchen?” Halbarad smiled.

“Some of it.  Mrs. Gamgee made that pot of soup,” Bilbo said.  “Delicious, isn’t it?”

“It certainly is,” Halbarad agreed.

“We should pack some provisions for you,” Bilbo said.

“Just sit here and relax for awhile,” Halbarad said, getting to his feet.  “I will see to it.  And… thank you, Bilbo -- for the provisions, and the information about the Dwarves.  I will need them both.”

“Halbarad,” Bilbo said suddenly, “should you encounter any resistance or stubbornness from these Dwarves, tell them you are friend to the burglar who accompanied Thorin Oakenshield on his journey.  Tell them you respect the King under the Mountain, then and now, and wish only good relations with their people.”

“I will do so.”  Halbarad bowed slightly.  “I am in your debt.”

“There is no debt between us,” Bilbo said softly.  “Years ago, Aragorn said that he was in our debt for saving his life.  If there ever was such a debt, it was paid today.”

Halbarad nodded, then peered curiously at Bilbo.

“Did you say ‘burglar’?”

** TBC **

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List