Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Matter of Appearances  by Lindelea

Drat. This story was supposed to be that hinted at in Where the Love-light Gleams. The story that I set out to write was this: Ferdi, as a result from a blow to the head, suffers memory loss and is catupulted (in his mind) back to the times of the Troubles, to the middle of the struggle to keep Men out of the Tookland. A comedy of sorts, astonishing as it may sound. I even told Dana that this was that story, while recounting the plot to her.

But over lattes with EF the character of the story seemed to change, and I was asked to stretch myself as an author, in a manner of speaking, and so this story may be a bit darker than originally planned. Apologies to those seeking lighter fare.

Sometimes stories seem to take on a life of their own, and together with the fact that A Matter of Appearances is a birthday present, and thus follows certain suggestions/requests on the part of the recipient, the comedy is going to have to wait.

I suppose the "good news" would be that there will be another Ferdi story to be written, one of these days, if all goes well. Perhaps even for another birthday-present. Time will tell.
(8/1/06)

Further note: Story taken offline for editing.

Further further note: Sorry for the inconvenience; didn't realize that re-publishing this author's note chapter would move it to the "top" of the list, so to speak.

Final note: Rating changed from PG-13 to R for the portrayal of horrific ruffians. The violence, however, is not gratuitous, serving the purpose of showing the evil that lurks in the hearts of some men. It is actually milder than some modern-day accounts of real-life kidnappings. Chapters with graphic details are clearly marked with warnings for the reader's convenience, and summaries are included for those who wish to skip the graphic parts without losing the thread of the story.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List