Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

O The Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night  by Lindelea

And so it ends as it began, with older sisters (who might be likened to orcs, or perhaps trolls), and yards and yards of lace and ribbon and beads and whatnot. At least Ferdi is safely out of it at the end, unless one considers that he is firmly in Pimpernel's clutches...

Now that the story is finished, it leaves behind the working title Dreamflower's Bunny and takes on its finished form, including a proper title. Sorry if you thought you were getting a brand new story.

***

For some reason, the following old Middle English folk-song runs in my head whenever I turn my attention to this story.

Perhaps it has to do with the fox who features in the tale, or perhaps that Ferdi grew up to become that leader of the Tookish Resistance known as "the Fox" during the time of the Troubles. In any event, you'll find a number of versions on the Internet, along with the notation that it's an old Cornish song, and dates from a ballad of the 1400s.

1 The fox went out one winter night, And prayed the moon to give him light, For he'd many a mile to go that night. Before he reached his den, oh! Den, oh ! Den, oh ! For he'd many a mile to go that night, For he'd many a mile to go that night, Before he reached his den, oh !
2   At last he came to a farmer's yard, Where the ducks and geese were all afear'd. "The best of you all shall grease my beard,
Before I leave the town, oh! Town, oh ! Town, oh ! " The best of you all," &c.
3   He took the grey goose by the neck, He laid a duck across his back,
And heeded not their quack ! quack ! quack! The legs all dangling down, oh ! Down, oh ! Down, oh ! And heeded not their, &c.
4   Then old mother Slipper Slopper jump'd out of bed And out of the window she popt her head, Crying, " Oh ! John, John ! the grey goose is dead,
And the fox is over the down, oh!' Down, oh ! Down, oh ! Crying, " Oh ! John, John!" &c.
5   Then John got up to the top o' the hill, And blew his horn both loud and shrill, "Blow on," said Reynard, "your music still,
Whilst I trot home to my den, oh!" Den, oh! Den, oh! "Blow on," said Reynard, &c.
6   At last he came to his cosy den, Where sat his young ones, nine or ten,
Quoth they, "Daddy, you must go there again, For sure 'tis a lucky town, oh ! " Town, .oh! Town, oh! Quoth they, "Daddy," &c.
7  The fox and wife, without any strife,
They cut up the goose without fork or knife. And said, 'twas the best they had eat in their life, And the young ones pick'd the bones, oh ! Bones, oh ! Bones, oh ! And said, 'twas the best, &c.

From:
http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/english-folk-songs-schools/folk-songs-schools%20-%200165.htm

See also:
http://www.folkinfo.org/songs/displaysong.php?songid=15

http://www.jstor.org/pss/537636     (A Medieval Carol Survival)






<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List