Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Neath Anor, Ithil, and Gil  by Larner

For Maeglin for her birthday.  Beta by RiverOtter.

Counselors

            Scholar, musician, and warrior--such had been the father of the heart for Elrond and his brother Elros.  Having so few memories of their own parents, it was perhaps natural that the two young peredhil would find themselves honoring those skills.

            So it was that when he came to build and order his own household Elrond sought out those who would assist him to maintain such gifts and skills in himself.  And so he welcomed Glorfindel, Lord of the House of the Golden Flower, to his hearth and home--a warrior who, having passed through death in the embrace of a Balrog, held no fear within himself.  He welcomed also Lindir, minstrel, harpist, singer--his heart beat to the echoes of skeins of music; his feet danced through the day; his fingers found melody and rhythm and brought them forth; his voice lifted in song and tale, firing images of glory and grief in the imaginations of his listeners.  And what little Elrond himself might forget of all he had seen, experienced, heard, or read could be summoned from the prodigious memory of Erestor.

            Between the discernment and sensitivity of his beloved Celebrķan and the counsel and support of these three, Elrond served his people well.  That he should insist each of them be granted a place in the White Council went without challenge.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List