Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Children of Iluvatar  by Antane

Chapter One: Brothers

Elrond bandaged the shoulder of the hobbit he had been tending for long days and nights. The shard had finally been removed and had already been sent away to be destroyed. He held the wrist of the small being lost in a bed much too large for him, almost as pale as the sheets and blankets piled on him. The Ring‑bearer's pulse was weak but steady. Elrond let out a sigh as he closed his eyes and sent a prayer of thanksgiving to Ilúvatar.

He is healing, came the Voice of the One within him.

Le hannon, Adar, the Elf lord responded.

He opened his eyes again, exhausted, but unable to tear his eyes away from the little one before him. He has Your light in him, brighter than any I have seen in the Secondborn. I have never seen any mortal more fair than he.

I have hallowed your brother for a most special task.

Elrond looked down at the Ring on its chain that lay against Frodo's chest. I bless you, Adar, for giving me the gift to heal his hroa, but I grieve that I cannot protect his fëa.

It is not yours to guard. That falls to others and to Myself.

The Elf lord looked now at the other occupant of the bed, the one so similar in spirit, shining softly on his own, his hand clasped in his master's, his head touching the one he held dear, sleeping the sleep of the exhausted.

Are they brothers?

Not by blood, but so I have knit their hearts and souls together. The second serves the first and the first will serve all.

He will be safe then, for whatever You have him do.

Yes. He will know at the Council what I propose. Though he knows not what he saw, I have already sent him a dream of what the reward for all his labors will be, for the burden will be too heavy for anyone in the end and he will sorely need rest.

Elrond closed his eyes again. He felt the small hand he still held in his own. It felt so fragile, but there was in Frodo's heart and will a strength that he had thought long lost in the world. And he knew it had its match in the one that lay beside him.

Thy Will be done, Adar.

He then looked down at the sleeping hobbits, trying to send them the strength he knew both would need. You will be safe, my brothers, held in the strongest Arms of all. Rest there when the burden becomes too much.

__

Note: Adar is Sindarin for Father. Hroa is Quenya for body. Fëa is soul or spirit.






        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List