Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Children of Iluvatar  by Antane

A/N: The Red Book will be briefly quoted from this and next two chapters.

__

“I will take the Ring, though I do not know the way.”

Elrond closed his eyes for a moment. Is this what you made him for, Adar?

Yes, My child.

You said the burden would be too much, then he will fail in his task?

No, he will succeed.

He looked at Frodo then, so full of light. It is a hard doom, gwador nîn, but there is strength in you. I have seen it already.

“I think that this task is appointed for you, Frodo, but it is a heavy burden. So heavy that none could lay it on another. I do not lay it on you. But if you take it freely, I will say your choice is right; and though all the mighty elf‑friends of old, Hador, and Húrin, and Túrin, and Beren himelf were assembled together, your seat should be among them.”

Yes, his seat is ordained to be there and his brother will share it.

“But you won’t send him off alone surely, Master?” cried Sam.

“No, indeed!” said Elrond, turning towards him with a smile. “It is hardly possible to separate you from him.”

He looked back at Frodo. Hold him ever close to You, Adar. It is even less possible to separate You from him than from his faithful brother. Let him know he doesn’t walk alone. Hold them both.

I will shelter them.

Le hannon.

__

Note: Gwador nîn is Sindarin for my brother.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List