Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Children of Iluvatar  by Antane

Chapter Four: Leavetaking

It was a chill, grey day that the Company gathered to hear Elrond’s last words. The Elf‑lord looked down at the four hobbits among the others and marveled anew. They all seemed so small and frail, yet his heart knew they were the bravest of all the Company. At once he feared the most for them and the least.

My heart is still wondering about the two youngest, Adar.

My heart is not, My child.

Elrond sighed, his heart more at peace at the decision. I wish I could see their path. I see naught but darkness.

I can see what you cannot.

Elrond then spoke aloud and tried to believe in hope and light. “The Ring‑bearer is setting out on the Quest of Mount Doom. On him alone is any charge laid: neither to cast away the Ring, nor to deliver it to any servant of the Enemy nor indeed to let any handle it, save members of the Company and the Council, and only then in gravest need. The others go with him as free companions, to help him on his way. You may tarry, or come back, or turn aside into other paths. The further you go, the less easy will it be to withdraw; yet no oath or bond is laid on you to go further than you will. For you do not yet know the strength of your hearts, and you cannot foresee what each may meet upon the road.”

I beg you, Adar, strengthen their hearts. He cannot do this alone.

He won’t.

“Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens,” said Gimli.

“Maybe,” said Elrond, “but let him not vow to walk in the dark, who has not seen the nightfall.”

Listen to the wisdom of your adopted brother, My child. No oath is needed to hold these to their paths. They will all go far and one will be with him at the end.

Elrond looked at Frodo and then at Sam and he knew. I have lived too long with my own defeats. Goheno nin, Adar, for my doubts and fears.


You strive ever for the light. It is for that you were all made.

Elrond turned his attention back to the gathered Company. “May the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you.”

He and many of his household watched them leave. Bilbo stood there as well. Frodo gave him one more glance and then turned away with the others. So small, the Elf‑lord thought again, but larger in heart and courage than any of us.

May not just our blessings go with them, but Yours as well, Adar, and that of the Valar be ever with them. May it be Your Face that shines upon them when all other lights are veiled.

So it shall be.

Le hannon.

__

Note: Goheno nin, Adar is Sindarin for Forgive me, Father.

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List