Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Children of Iluvatar  by Antane

Chapter Six: At the Black Gate

Elrond turned away from his efforts to try to see Frodo and Sam’s journey and sought refuge in the iaun where he had spent much of his time since the Company departed. He looked up at the red candlelight that signified the Presence of Ilúvatar, the only illumination in the small room. Your children have seen so much of the Enemy’s work already, Adar. The Marshes, the despoiled land beyond. How much can their gentle fëar endure?

All they see continues to strengthen their resolve.

Iorhael knows he must go on, but he is wondering which way. I can feel his agony. His shoulders are so small for this burden.

Not so his heart. He is not alone, My child. Even now Olórin searches for both of them. Your brother feels that.

I have felt that thought casting out for him and Iorhael’s for his.

His brothers are there with him also, both of them. He will decide rightly the way to go. I will not abandon him and another of My favored sons is nearby and will find them.

I sense darkness around him. It continues to spread, not from his heartbrother, but the other. There is evil intent there.

It will turn to the good.

Elrond sighed in an attempt to release his anxiety. My fears cloud my heart. Goheno nin, Adar.

His fears cloud his as well, but My Light guides him. The darkness presses hard, but his heart is stronger. He will endure. Just as you have been led and have borne every burden.

The Elf lord turned his thought to Frodo, not knowing whether that little one could hear him or not, but desiring the wish for comfort to be sent. I wish I could help you, gwador nin, but since I cannot, may you feel the Arms you are wrapped in, stronger than mine could ever be.

His fëa returns the embrace, My child.

__

Note: Iaun is Sindarin for holy place or sanctuary.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List