Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Children of Iluvatar  by Antane

Chapter Five: Pinned

What is happening, Adar? Elrond asked of his Father as he felt the great struggle on Amon Hen.

Your brother is learning more of the struggle before him and in him.

It is a bitter one. How can his fëa even survive it? He is being torn apart. Help him, Adar! Elrond wished he could send Frodo his own strength. But then he felt the presence of another, stronger than himself and sighed in relief. Le hannon, Adar.

This battle won’t destroy him, My child, but strengthen him. He has already seen the Enemy and now has been touched by his mind. He knows ever more who he fights and that will give him the greater determination to defeat him. He also feels the strength of his Enemy’s opposite, though he knows not who he feels. And he is discovering his own strength as well. As is his heartbrother.

Will it be enough?

It will be enough. Your brother is Becoming all the more who I have created him to be. His heartbrother has been so from the beginning and is growing as well. It will be a sore trial for both of them, through much darkness, but the end will be bright.

Elrond felt the decision of Frodo’s will asserting itself against the Enemy in favor of the other voice that reached him. The shoulders of the Elf‑lord slumped as the immediate danger passed. If he felt exhausted by merely witnessing the struggle, how much more so must Frodo feel? He wished he could wrap him in arms and sleep that would give peace and solace, but he knew his own arms could not do that. He would have to rely on others, better than his. He sighed. How had this little one so wrapped himself around his heart? So many mortal beings he had known through the millennia and yet he had opened his heart to few for fear of the grief when they inevitably parted. The wound of Isildur’s betrayal and death stung anew.

There will come the time when the weakness of that one will be redressed. And it will be through his and your little brothers.

Elrond felt the turmoil of decision within Frodo, the terror and then the resolve to go on alone. While he marveled at the courage that took, he reached out again to Ilúvatar. I fear for my brother, Adar. He will be consumed if he goes off alone. Darkness surrounds him still.

As does love. He is never alone, My child.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List