Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Children of Iluvatar  by Antane

Chapter Seven: The Morgul Vale

Elrond was in his study when a great darkness roiled over him. He groped out for his little brother as he felt the cold of the Morgul‑king invade his senses. He fell to his knees and implored, Help him, Adar! Please!

Elrond focused on Frodo and saw him surrounded by great darkness, but around him specifically was a halo of light. The Elf‑lord watched in horror as Frodo lurched toward the dark tower, then was pulled back by Sam whose face was illuminated as he entered the ring of light momentarily. There was another great struggle as the Witch‑king rose in might and Elrond watched helplessly as Frodo’s hand crept toward the chain around his neck. Then he saw the little one’s will master that hand and move it instead toward the phial that Galadriel had given him. The battle was won again, for the moment. The darkness lessened just a bit and Elrond and Frodo both slumped. The Elf‑lord agonized over being a witness to such struggles and being helpless to intervene.

It is getting worse. How much more, Adar? How many more times will he be tested? I grieve for what this is doing to his fëa. The peril grows so very great.

Your brother’s strength grows also.

It is an honor to see, but the power of the Enemy beats upon him with ever increasing intensity. How can any endure it?

My grace increases in him as well.

I know that will be enough, but goheno nin, Adar, I can see so little of his Road and it grows so dark.

Then trust Me Who can see his entire Path. The darkness will deepen, but ever My Light will be there. No created being has ever conquered that for no created being made it to bend it to his will.

I believe, Adar. Help my unbelief.

Listen, My child, and find ease for the trouble in your heart.

He looked back at Frodo and in wonder a sound reached him that he feared he would never hear again-‑his brother’s laughter. The crisis had passed for the moment and the Elf‑lord then watched Frodo lay his head in his heartbrother’s lap and close his eyes. Sam watched him for a long while, then both peacefully slept, Frodo bathed in light and Sam also where his arms held his master close. Losto mae, gwador nîn, Elrond sent silently. Le hannon, Adar.

__

Note: Losto mae, gwador nîn is Sindarin for Sleep well, my brother.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List