Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Children of Iluvatar  by Antane

Chapter Eleven: Captured

Elrond jerked from a sound sleep when his little brother’s panic reached him. He sat up and reached out to soothe the fear before he even knew what caused it. He threw on his dressing robe and fled barefoot to the iaun.

What he saw unfold in the sight given him was Frodo and Sam being pushed into a line of Orcs traveling down a road.

Adar! No!

I am with them, My child. All is happening as I wish it to be.

The Elf-lord sensed the Ring-bearer’s fear of becoming a captive of the Orcs again, yet he poured all his flagging strength into moving forward, though to what doom, he could not bear to think. Elrond felt Frodo’s head begin to swim from fatigue, thirst and the stench of the bodies around him. He sent him and Sam all he could of his own strength, but wondered if his brother, his hero, was even aware of it.

How can this be right, Adar? The peril ever deepens and Iorhael is already so weak.

The evil intent of our Enemy is ever working against him. It is only hastening his defeat. You must look deeper, My child. Enter not the darkness, but the light beyond it.

You can see that better than I, Adar. All I see is darkness swirling deeper and blacker and Iorhael caught in it like a leaf in a whirlpool to be consumed.

When the whip lashed the hobbits’ legs, Elrond felt as though his own had just been scored. He sucked in a breath and tried to shunt all their pain onto himself, shoring up their failing defenses. He watched and shared Sam’s fear that the Ring‑bearer would either faint or fall and all would be revealed and lost. His breath caught when Frodo did stumble and was caught by Sam. Then he saw the fight break out among the Orcs competing to be the first to get to the camp and saw his two little brothers get away in the confusion. He watched Frodo drag himself the last yards at Sam’s insistence and then collapse utterly. The enemy troops passed on, oblivious.

See, My child? Evil defeats itself ever more. Why do you continue to doubt?

Because my trust is not complete.

You have learned much and you have much to learn. The future is Mine alone to survey. Your sight is limited so you can show faith and trust. Harken after your younger brother. His sight is even more limited but also deeper and clearer because he trusts the way will be shown to him.

I’m sorry, Adar. I have failed you greatly in that. I continue though to be Your student and his.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List