Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Children of Iluvatar  by Antane

Chapter Twelve: It Was Then That I Carried You

Elrond’s body felt an agony of exhaustion, thirst and hunger. He stood in his garden under beloved stars, a breeze rustled his cloak and hair, but all he felt was the darkness and a terrible pain beyond anything he had ever felt as he watched and felt the tortuous path taken by the two hobbits.

He watched as Frodo’s hand often reached up to answer the call of the Ring and slowly return to his side as his will recalled it. Each time the Elf lord could feel another tear in his brother’s fëa as it fought off the assault. It was bleeding in so many places now. Elrond wished to cradle it, but he knew not how to staunch such a great number of wounds.

Adar, please, Adar, stop this. How can they bear this any longer?

They are near to the finish.

To their own?

To the one long designed.

Elrond watched as Frodo stopped, unable to go further, head bent between knees, arms dangling at his side, hands twitching.

Oh, gwador nîn, Elrond thought in grief and admiration. And shame. For he realized it was his own strength to endure what he felt only through the gift of Ilúvatar that was failing, and not the strength and courage of the ones who were truly bearing the terrible burdens.

A song rose in him then, one he had sung to his children or had heard his wife sing, thousands of years previously, as they slept. Now in his garden, under the stars, he softly raised his voice again.

“Sleep, thou child of Eru,

Safe in His embrace;

May Elbereth surround thee

With her light and grace.

Close thine eyes, beloved,

May thy dreams be blest;

Sleep, thou child of Eru,

And may thy soul find rest.

“Sleep, thou child of Eru;

Dreams I’ll weave for thee:

Dreams of rivers flowing

Onward to the sea,

Dreams of stars that glisten

In the heavens high,

Dreams of fields and forests,

Slumb’ring ’neath the sky.

“Sleep, thou child of Eru,

Cradled in His arms;

May His love surround thee,

Keeping thee from harm.

Hush now, my beloved,

May thy dreams be blest.

Sleep, thou child of Eru,

And may thy soul find rest.”

Frodo’s body relaxed a bit after that and Elrond saw his light glow more steadily, his fëa having received the balm it needed to make it through another night. It was then that he truly noticed that it was through the wounds that the light shone, and it was growing brighter.

The Elf lord sang the song once more, this time to Sam, and he tried to remember to trust in those words. It was more difficult now than it had been. He sang it once more, this time to himself, until he was almost convinced of the truth in the words he had never doubted before.

When Frodo woke to a loving caress to his brow, Elrond wished he could add to it, but then realized, what more love could he have given that his brother didn’t already have?

“I’ll be an Orc no more. Let them take me, if they will!” the Elf lord heard Frodo cry out.

Frodo’s body was still bowed under the weight of his burden, but he stood more erect than before as he issued his defiant challenge.

Elrond watched as the two hobbits stumbled and fell in their dizziness brought on by dehydration. He watched Sam pick himself and then Frodo up each time and heads bowed, the Ring‑bearer and his faithful companion struggled on. At last they could do no more. Elrond watched with pity, grief and agonized love as Frodo began to crawl and then Sam pick him up and carry him, until he too was reduced to crawling and finally had to rest.

How could he have done that? Elrond asked in admiration. Oh, Adar, they are such marvels.

He did not carry his brother alone.

__
A/N: The song is from Queen Galadriel.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List