Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Elf, Interrupted: Book One: Glorfindel Redux  by Fiondil

118: The Tournament Begins

The day of the tournament dawned bright and clear. Even before Anar rose above the Pelóri, the encampment was a hive of activity as warriors went over their armor and weapons one last time and heralds scurried about making last minute changes to the order of the lists. A number of the Vanyarin warriors, upon seeing the grim competence of the Tol Eressëans had decided against competing, so the number of fighters in the tournament was fewer than expected. Still, Ingwë was pleased that of the sixteen warriors competing, five of them, including his own son, were Vanyarin.

"I had hoped for a better turnout among my own people," he said to Arafinwë and Olwë, but the Noldóran rightly pointed out that this was the first Aman-wide tournament and the Vanyar might feel intimidated by the more war-like Noldor and Sindar.

"I have no doubt," Arafinwë said, "that your archers will give the Sindar and Nandor pause. They are very good and should do well in the competition."

The tournament itself would be strictly sword and shield. It was a double elimination tournament, thereby giving each competitor at least two tries at winning before being dropped from the list. The winners of the first round of fighting would comprise the tinco-list while the losers would drop down to the parma-list and compete against each other. Losers of subsequent rounds in the tinco-list would also drop down to the parma-list to compete against the winners there. Eventually each list would produce a champion and they would fight one another. The rules were such that should the tinco-champion be defeated by the parma-champion they would go another round. However, if the tinco-champion won, that would be the end of the tourney. The parma-champion, therefore, needed two wins against the tinco-champion in order to place first.

The tournament was due to begin at the third hour following a brief ceremony whereby the sixteen competitors would be introduced and the rules of the tourney explained. Shortly before the third hour the High King and his royal guests made their way from the city to the viewing gallery set up for them on the west side of the field. The rest of the spectators ranged along either side of the royal gallery and along the east side of the list field. Two healers’ tents were set up, one to the north and the other to the south. There was also a smithy for quick repairs of armor and weapons. Behind the healers’ tent on the south boundary of the list field were two large pavilions for the use of the warriors. For the moment, they were all congregated in one pavilion, but later the parma-list warriors would take the other pavilion for their own use. The list field itself was divided into four sections so that four different battles would be fought at the same time. In this way, the first round of fighting would finish before noon. The first round of fighting among the parma-list warriors would commence a couple hours after the noon meal. After that there would be a respite for all the fighters until the next day.

It was planned that the tournament would go for five days, with two rounds a day, giving the fighters plenty of rest in between. Beginning on the second day, the archery contest would commence. This would be a single elimination tournament, with the first round beginning shortly after the end of the morning’s round of fighting. It was planned that that competition would see its end on the fourth day, thus allowing everyone a chance to watch the final rounds of the fighting between the two champions.

The sixteen warriors who were competing marched out onto the field with Ingwion, Finrod and Glorfindel leading. The warriors faced the royal gallery and, as one, drew their swords and slapped the flat of them against their shields in salute. Before anyone could respond there was a stir of air all around and a brightening of the sky as all the Valar, each with two attendant Maiar, suddenly appeared.

How they managed to all be there without seeming to take up any room, none could say. They were simply... there. All were garbed in splendor that outshone the Eldar, even more so than when they had appeared at the Ball. Manwë was garbed in an ankle-length indigo tunic made of a heavy silk brocade shot with rose. The sleeves were wide and underneath one could see a silk shirt of the same shade of rose. The tunic was trimmed with pearls and opals and the chest of the tunic was embroidered with his emblem of an eagle in flight. On his head he wore a wreath of purple tulips. Varda was garbed in ethereal white as usual, though her overrobe was a figured silk of ice blue trimmed with white fur. Her hair was caught in a diamond-studded netted snood and around her neck was a mithril chain from which hung a single cut diamond set in a star-shaped pendant.

The most intriguing garb, however, was Lord Námo’s. Gone was the usual black or grey. Instead, he wore a silvery-grey shirt with full sleeves and a high closed collar. The sleeves were cuffed with the cuffs embroidered with green ivy leaves as was the collar. The breeches were a very dark green sueded leather. His boots were black leather, coming to just below the knees.

Over the shirt he wore a knee length sleeveless tunic, with front and back slits for riding, in the same deep green color as the breeches but made of a heavy brocaded silk in a diaper pattern consisting of stars and diamonds. The chest of the tunic was embroidered with the Sun-in-Eclipse emblem. The hem, riding slits, and neckline were banded in black velvet, about an inch and a half deep, and where the black and green met, the stars of the brocade were embroidered over in strands of silver thread. The tunic was belted with black leather, with a mithril buckle shaped like the Sun-in-Eclipse.

Over all of it was a robe made of the green fabric that Vairë had purchased. It was open from throat to the mid-calf hem with an upstanding collar that could be left open or closed with mithril and emerald buttons. The sleeves were long and dagged, as was the hemline, and lined with sheared sable.

The outer robe sleeves were slit from the wrist to the shoulder and there were emerald and mithril buttons at the wrist, mid forearm, elbow, and mid upper arm, such that the sleeves could be worn with all of them fastened or only some. In this case the sleeves hung down from the shoulders with only the mid upper arm button fastened, showing off the silk of the shirt sleeves. The robe was lined in a figured silk that was a blend of the silvery-grey of the shirt and one of the greens used in the embroidery of the ivy.

Lady Vairë’s garb matched her lord’s. She wore an undergown of the silvery grey of Námo’s shirt, with sleeves tight to the wrist. There were mithril and emerald buttons from wrist to elbow. The neckline was embroidered with green ivy leaves matching the ones on Námo’s shirt.

Over this she wore a sideless surcoat of which the skirt was made of the same diamond and star patterned green brocade as Námo's tunic. The bodice of the overgarment was of sheared sable and the hem was bordered with a wide band of the dark fur. The neckline was off the shoulder, showing off the decorated neckline of the undergown. Just above the sable hem were stitched silvery ivy leaves of the same style that were embroidered on the neckline of the undergown in green. A line of mithril brooches ran down the front of the sable body set with emeralds, pearls and peridots. A heavily embroidered belt of green and silver could be seen circling her waist through the large side openings.

A mithril necklace with alternating emeralds and peridots graced her throat. Her braided hair was entwined in a crown of yellow asphodels, while on Námo’s head was a mithril circlet shaped to echo the embroidered ivy. It was also entwined with a living wreath of yellow asphodels to match the ones in Vairë’s hair. An emerald cabochon was set in the center of the circlet.

To say that they made a stunning pair was putting it mildly. Many people had to consciously remember to close their mouths. Ingwë found himself sharing a smile with Valandur who was seated behind him. Turning back to face the Valar he gave Vairë a wry grin. "Good choice, my lady," he said softly, sure that she would hear. The Valië gave a merry laugh which was echoed by Námo.

The other Valar and Maiar were equally garbed in elegance and beauty. Besides Varda, Nienna and Estë also wore netted snoods. Nienna’s was studded with pearls while Estë’s had sapphires. All the other Valar and Valiër wore garlands of different kinds of flowers and plants. Ulmo, for instance, wore a wreath of laurel while Aulë and Yavanna wore matching garlands of blue gentian. Irmo wore a crown of goldenrod. Tulkas and Nessa wore garlands of strawberries. Oromë had oak leaves in his hair, while Vána’s braids were entwined with white hawthorn flowers.

Manwë smiled indulgently at the expressions of awe that could be found on the faces of most of the elves, especially those from Tol Eressëa. He addressed Ingwë so all could hear.

"Please forgive us for inviting ourselves to your tournament, but we are rather curious to see who will win."

Ingwë laughed. "Far be it from me to discourage anyone’s curiosity. Be welcome, my lords and ladies. May you find the event as interesting as we hope it to be."

"Well, with Glorfindel, Findaráto and Ingwion all playing, I have no doubt of that," Manwë said with a laugh. "If you will permit it, I would offer the services of my own herald at this point."

Ingwë bowed. "You honor us with your offer, my lord. Thank you."

Manwë nodded to Eönwë standing nearby as he and Varda, along with their other attendants, Fionwë, Olórin and Ilmarë, joined the royals in the viewing gallery. Somehow the space within the gallery expanded to accommodate them without disturbing the physical structure of the gallery itself. The other Valar with their attendants ranged on either side of the two healers’ tents. Thrones appeared from nowhere so they could all sit and be at ease. Aulë, Yavanna, Oromë, Vána, Tulkas and Nessa sat along the south boundary of the list, while Námo, Vairë, Irmo and Estë, along with Nienna and Ulmo, sat along the north.

Arafinwë, seeing where the Fëanturi were seated wondered if it were deliberate, knowing that Vorondil had been assigned to that particular healers’ tent. Findaráto had told him about the elfling’s Judgment in a certain grove in Lórien. The very thought of it sent shards of ice through the core of his fëa. He shook himself, wryly taking note of the fact that, while the Amanian spectators seemed to take the presence of the Valar in their stride, many of the Tol Eressëans were somewhat nonplused at first. However, they soon forgot about the Valar in their excitement at watching the tourney.

Meanwhile Eönwë bowed first to Manwë and then to Ingwë and the other kings before stepping out onto the field. He wore his mithril hauberk over which was a dark blue silk tabard with two horns in saltire. The horns were silver silk appliqué with the edges trimmed with silver thread embroidery in a herringbone pattern. It was the traditional garb of heralds among the Eldar.

As soon as he stepped forth, every Tol Eressëan warrior present raised their swords (or in some cases, bows) in salute. Those Vanyar and Noldor who had fought in the War of Wrath but were not carrying weapons gave the Maia bows instead. Eönwë acknowledged the salutes with a nod before addressing the crowd.

"Hear ye, hear ye. Begins now the Tournament of Champions. Upon the field are sixteen warriors, faithful and true. In the order in which they shall compete: Lords Glorfindel and Calmacil, Prince Findaráto and Lord Ardamírë, Lords Aldundil and Findegil, Lord Gilvagor and Lady Region, Lords Haldir and Valacar, Lords Aldarion and Hallas, Prince Ingwion and Lord Cirion, Lords Vëantur and Mithlas."

There was some murmuring, quickly suppressed, at the mention of Lady Region’s name. She was a Noldo from Tol Eressëa and was the only elleth who had decided to compete. Mithlas, when he heard himself addressed as "lord", blushed and looked down at his feet in embarrassment. Vëantur, standing next to him, grinned and threw an arm around the Sinda’s shoulders, giving him a hearty hug of encouragement.

Everyone cheered when the names were announced. Then Eönwë explained the rules of the tournament. The first round would determine who would remain in the tinco-list and who would go to the parma-list. The Maia assured the crowd that losing in the first round brought no shame to the warriors, for there was still the chance of ultimately winning the tournament.

"Nor is there any shame for not completing the tournament," he explained. "All who compete already have the respect of the Valar and Maiar. Let none disparage them even in their losing, for some have fought bravely in battles fierce and deadly under the skies of Endórë and some have paid the ultimate price for their bravery." Eönwë paused, giving a brief bow towards Glorfindel, Finrod and Haldir, who acknowledged the Maia’s words with bows of their own. Eönwë then went on to describe to the warriors how winners would be determined.

"Points will be assigned whenever you score a blow upon your opponent’s body," the Maia explained, "with blows to the torso counting more than blows to the extremities. Blows to the head are not allowed. The one with the most points at the end of the round will be declared the winner if no one has yielded beforehand. Loss of your weapon will be an automatic win for your opponent."

It had been decided that the matches involving Glorfindel, Aldundil, Haldir and Ingwion would be fought first. The matches with Finrod, Gilvagor, Aldarion and Vëantur would then follow as each of the first matches concluded. Before they began, however, Finrod called all the warriors to him in the middle of the field. Catching the eyes of the Tol Eressëan warriors, he spoke first in Sindarin.

"Garo rîn, hîn nîn, sír ú-vaethim dan chyth, maethim na vellyn."

They all laughed at that. Glorfindel sighed and rolled his eyes. Ingwion gave Finrod a considering look. "All right, Cousin, just what did you say?"

Finrod smiled. "I was merely reminding some of us that we are among friends, not fighting Melkor’s troops."

That gave the Amanian warriors pause and one or two of them looked decidedly nervous at the grimly amused expressions on the faces of the Tol Eressëans. Ingwion merely raised an eyebrow. "We’ll try not to hurt you too much," he said offhandedly and that made everyone laugh and any tension between them broke as they left the field to ready themselves for the first round of fighting.

****

Garo rîn, hîn nîn, sír ú-vaethim dan chyth, maethim na vellyn: (Sindarin) "Remember, my children, today we do not fight against enemies, we fight with friends". [garo rîn, literally, "have rememberance", as there is no attested verb "to remember, to recall" in Sindarin as there is in Quenya.]

A note on the designation of the lists: Normally, the winners of the first round of fighting in a double-elimination tournament would be placed in the "A-list", while the losers would be placed in the "B-list". Tinco and Parma, being traditionally the first two "letters" in the Elvish writing system, are used here instead, with tinco substituted for "A" and parma for "B".

A note on the flower garlands worn by the Valar:

Purple Tulips (Manwë) symbolize royalty.

Asphodels (Námo and Vairë), also known in English as Daffodils, were deathless flowers that overspread the Elysian meadows. They were considered sacred to Persephone, wife of Hades. They also symbolize chivalry, an appropriate sentiment for the occasion.

Laurel (Ulmo) symbolizes glory and perseverance.

Gentian (Aulë and Yavanna) symbolizes integrity and intrinsic worth.

Goldenrod (Irmo) symbolizes encouragement.

Strawberries (Tulkas and Nessa) symbolize perfect excellence, something to which all warriors would want to aspire.

Oak leaves (Oromë) symbolize bravery, while Hawthorn (Vána) symbolizes hope — hope of winning, or simply surviving the battle.

Námo and Vairë’s garb: My thanks to Rhyselle for helping me "clothe" Námo and Vairë. Many readers were hoping the Valië would choose the green fabric and so I decided it was only fair to give a full description of Námo’s garb. Naturally, Vairë demanded equal time.

A netted snood is essentially a medieval hairnet intricately woven with gemstones and used to keep the woman’s hair in place. They were commonly worn during the Italian Renaissance.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List