Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Freddy and the Thain's Rabbit  by Grey Wonderer

“Freddy and The Thain’s Rabbit”
(Told entirely from the POV of Errol, the stuffed Rabbit of the Thain)

By Errol with some assistance from Grey_wonderer

Beta by Marigold

Written for Marigold's Challenge 30


1484 in the Shire

Merry is unloading a few last minute items from the pony trap. I am one of those last minute items. He pulls me out of his remaining gear and then turns to face Pippin. “Well, I am late in returning this to you but I thought I might as well bring it back now,” Merry says. He hands me to Pippin.

“Errol!” Pippin grins. He is always glad to see me. That is only part of what makes him so dear to me. I have seen him over the years but mostly from a distance. Pippin often visited Buckland and so I was constantly hearing his voice in the halls or seeing him pass by a door. Still it has been a very long time since I was in his arms. He forgets himself and gives me a proper hug.

“So you’ve had him all this time?” Pippin asks.

“After Freddy outgrew him, he gave him to Lilac for a time,” Merry explains with a slight frown. I personally refer to this time as my dark years. I was not at all fond of Freddy’s oldest child. “I had to take Errol from her because, well, let us just say that she was not showing the proper respect for the Thain’s Rabbit and leave it at that.” An understatement!

Pippin smiled. “So you saved Errol from Lilac and then put him somewhere for safe keeping?”

“I did,” Merry said. “I always meant to bring him back but for some reason I didn’t remember to do so until today of all days. Here we are about to set out on our last big adventure together and I pick this moment to return your childhood Rabbit to you.”

Pippin smiles at me. “Actually quite fitting. I think I’ll bring him along.”

“To Rohan and Gondor?” Merry looks surprised.

“Well, he did miss the Quest and I suspect that as he is here now, he must intend on coming with me,” Pippin says. As always he knows what I am thinking. I am glad that hasn’t changed. The years have been kind to Pippin.

“Peregrin Took, this is not a walking trip to Bag End you know that,” Merry says. “This is a very long journey and is it really proper for a ninety-four-year-old Hobbit to go carting a stuffed Rabbit across Middle-earth?”

Pippin laughs, a sound which I have sorely missed. “Really, Merry,” he grins. “Half the Shire thinks I’m a bit off my nut because of my age and the other half thinks it because I’m Peregrin Took. If you are worried about my reputation then I suggest that you put that out of your mind and concentrate on the journey. No one will think this any stranger than anything else I do.” He stroked my ears.

“I am travelling with a nutter!” Merry sighed. “I thought that you’d leave Errol with Faramir for one of his children.”

“Did you?” Pippin asks raising an eyebrow.

“Not really,” Merry grins. “But that will be something else for you to keep up with. I am not carrying that Rabbit!” He would do so if Pippin asked him.

“Certainly not,” Pippin agrees and he proceeds to load me into his pack. “Errol travels with me just as he always has.”

“You are hopeless,” Merry sighs.

“But you can’t do without me,” Pippin reminds him and Merry doesn’t argue the point.

***

The Great Smials in the Shire 1439

I watched as Merry opened his mouth and then closed it again and then opened it again. He was at a complete loss for what to say and frankly I could hardly blame him. It was as much of a surprise to me as it was to him. Only Freddy, who is Merry’s youngest child, seemed certain of how things should proceed. I should know by now that often the youngest Hobbit in a room is likely to have things sorted out before everyone else gathers their wits. Hobbit children are very intuitive and act from impulse rather than information.

I happen to think that is far more honest. I know a great deal about Hobbit children thanks to my many years spent in the company of Peregrin Took who is currently Thain of the Shire. I watched him grow up after all. I have the honour of being the Thain’s stuffed Rabbit. I know this is an honour only because I have heard many Hobbits speak of honour when referring to the title of Thain. Personally, I was honoured to be Pippin’s stuffed Rabbit long before he became the Thain and the Took. I was fond of him for simply being Pippin and I still feel that way about him.

My name is Errol. There is no ‘son-of’ nonsense that follows it, just Errol. That is what Pippin calls me. He, with Merry’s help at translation, gave me this name. In fact, I hardly ever think of my real name anymore. Though it was much grander, it had less charm than the name Errol and it really doesn’t matter any more since I am never addressed by it.

“Can I Papa?” Freddy was saying as he held me tightly against his chest with his good arm and looked up at Merry who was still standing there with his mouth open. Freddy’s other arm is wrapped up in a bandage to protect it. Freddy informed me that he broke it falling out of a tree. Pippin was also a tree-climber so I am well acquainted with this sort of Hobbit injury. Freddy’s arm seems healed to me but the lad does insist that it still hurts from time to time. I think he enjoys the attention that his recently broken bone gets him.

“I haven’t seen that Rabbit in ever so long,” Eglantine Took announced from her chair by the fire. “Oh, how Paladin hated that Rabbit. He always thought that Pippin kept it far too long. I didn’t know that the Rabbit was still about.” She looked at me with rather misty eyes and smiled. Unlike Paladin Took, Eglantine has always been very nice to me.

Merry regained his composure at this point and bent down to look little Freddy in the eye properly. “Exactly where did you get that Rabbit, Fredegar Brandybuck?” Merry asked in a fatherly voice.

“I found him!” Freddy crowed. “He was in that room with the extra big bed and the window that I like where you can see the duck pond.”

“Your Uncle Pippin and Aunt Diamond’s bedroom?” Merry asked arching an eyebrow.

“I don’t know,” Freddy lied. I liked this little Hobbit lad right from the minute I met him.

“You know,” Merry said not believing the lie for even a second. Merry knows his children quite well.

“I might know,” Freddy agreed softly. “But can I keep him? Nobody else is playing with him and he was up tall so I had a time getting him.”

“Up tall?” Eglantine looked puzzled by this bit of Freddy’s speech.

“He means that the Rabbit was high up somewhere,” Estella explained. She hadn’t spoken until now and I really did wish she’d kept quiet. Her voice always has made me cringe a bit. I think that is because Pippin always cringes a bit when she speaks. I think he’s afraid of her in some way. Merry’s wife is a very reasonable sort and, well, she and Pippin rarely agree about anything save their fondness for Merry.

“I had to get up like a tall Hobbit so Errol was up tall,” Freddy explained smiling at Eglantine pleasantly. He squeezed me again and then looked at Merry. “I can keep him can’t I? I got him down and I didn’t break anything.”

“You didn’t break anything else you mean, my lad. Your arm isn’t completely healed from the last time you got up tall and then fell,” Estella frowns looking fondly at her youngest child. “And just exactly who told you that Rabbit’s name?” She manages to look motherly and suspicious all at the same time. I think Pippin is right to fear her.

“That was a big old tree, Mama,” Freddy says rubbing his arm. “My arm still hurts but I just had to climb on a chair to get Errol. He was up tall but not as tall as that tree.” He smiles as if proud of his efforts and then remembers his mother’s second question. “Everybody at the Great Smials knows Errol, Mama. Faramir’s told me his name lots of time, I think, or maybe it was Uncle Pip who told me, or Papa or, well, someone did because that’s his name of course.” I have always enjoyed the way small Hobbits explain things.

“Fredegar, you took something that doesn’t belong to you without asking,” Estella said in that reasonable tone and I was very glad that little Freddy was holding tightly to me. Pippin is correct about her voice in my opinion.

“But Mama,” Freddy wailed.

“You put that Rabbit back now, Fredegar,” Estella said firmly.

I noted that Merry seemed relieved not to be the one to tell the lad the bad news. He patted Freddy on the top of his curly head and pointed back the way we’d come. He gave the child a reassuring smile. “Put the Rabbit on the bed, Freddy,” Merry instructed. “I don’t want you climbing up tall again today. You could fall and injure your arm. You know that the healer only removed the splint a week ago. Now, do as your Mum tells you.”

Freddy looked down at the floor and sighed. “Can I just visit with Errol while I’m here?” Freddy asked in a whisper. “I could play with him for a few days and then he and I won’t be lonely.”

Merry was weakening. The child had a way with him. I could see that quite clearly. I was turned so that I was facing Merry and I watched him to see what he might say but before Merry had a chance to render a decision, Estella came over and reached out for me. Freddy clutched me tighter and looked up at her. Now Merry and I were both watching Estella.

“Please,” Freddy said stretching the word out as far as it would go.

“Please what?”

It was Pippin’s voice and I was relieved. Now there would be some proper Tookish sense used to sort all of this out. I did not want to wind up in Estella’s possession even if she only meant to return me to Pippin’s room.

Freddy turned from his parents and ran toward Pippin with me still in his arms. “Uncle Pip!” he crowed.

“Hullo, Fred,” Pippin greeted the child and he lifted both Freddy and I into his arms.

“I’m up tall now!” Freddy grinned.

“Never you mind that,” Merry said. “Tell your Uncle Pip what you’ve done.”

“Well, I see you’ve met Errol,” Pippin said when Freddy failed to find anything to say. Pippin nearly always has something to say. He smiled at Freddy. “Either Errol has been out for a stroll or you’ve been in my room.”

“I like that window,” Freddy confessed softly.

“Looking at the ducks then were you?” Pippin asked pleased. He enjoyed looking at the ducks too. I even watch them on occasion though I don’t find them as interesting as Pippin seems to. Ducks are rather dull once you learn their routine. I simply can’t manage the interest that Pippin can when it comes to ducks. Now, rabbits are quite a different story.

Freddy nodded.

“And Errol just fell down off of the top of the wardrobe into your arms?” Pippin teased.

“I wish I’d thought to say that,” the six-year-old Brandybuck said.

Pippin laughed and I heard Estella clear her throat. I felt Pippin straighten slightly but he ignored her and reached over to stroke one of my ears. “Errol’s a very talented Rabbit but he doesn’t usually climb down from my wardrobe on his own,” Pippin said gently.

“I got him,” Freddy said. “I wanted to play with him and he wanted to play with me.”

“Fredegar,” Estella warned.

“He did, Mama,” Freddy said. “I heard him say it.” The child was quite right about this but there would be no explaining it to Estella Bolger Brandybuck.

“Errol is a wee bit neglected now that I’m older and busy with things,” Pippin said honestly and he rubbed my ears again.

“I could play with him while I’m here if you want me to, Uncle Pip,” Freddy offered hopefully.

Pippin smiled at him. “You’d do that for me?” he asked sounding as if he’d been looking for someone to perform this task.

Freddy nodded.

“Pip,” Merry said sounding worried.

“It’s all right, Merry,” Pippin assured him. “Freddy’s a good lad and I know he’ll take proper care of Errol.” He looked at Estella then and said, “If it’s agreeable with you and Estella that is.”

“You do know that little lads often forget to be careful don’t you?” Estella asked coming closer.

“I know a wee bit about little lads,” Pippin said. “I do have one you know. Besides, I was one and I happen to remember enough about that to know what little lads are like.”

She looked at Merry and he studied Pippin. I think Merry was trying to determine if Pippin was simply being generous with Freddy or if he truly didn’t mind if the child spent time with me. Merry and Pippin exchanged a glance or two and then Merry said, “I suppose it will be all right if you are very careful, Freddy.”

“I will be,” Freddy said and then he squirmed a bit and Pippin put him down. “Come on Errol!”

“What do you say to your Uncle, Freddy?” Estella asked.

“Thank you, Uncle Pip!” Freddy shouted as he hurried from the room before the adults could put their heads together and change their minds.

***

“What kind of stew?” Freddy asked as he stood in the kitchen holding me. We were near the worktable watching Diamond prepare luncheon. It was my seventh day in Freddy’s company and I was still enjoying myself. Freddy has lots of questions about food. I soon discovered that he was deeply interested in everything about eating. His choices seemed less messy than what I recalled Pippin eating at this age but little Freddy seemed to eat more often. I had thought such a thing would be impossible but I was wrong.

“Beef stew,” Diamond said smiling as she put more carrots into the large pot. Hobbits have enormous cooking pots because they never make a small portion of anything.

“That’s from cows isn’t it?” Freddy asked.

“It is indeed, Freddy,” Diamond said and placed a large number of mushrooms into the pot. She handed Freddy a small pile of mushrooms on a plate so that he might snack on them while he continued with his questions.

“Was it a milk cow?” Freddy asked.

“No, love,” Diamond said patiently. “I believe it was a bull. Your Uncle Pip or your father might know.” Diamond frowned ever so slightly. She has never enjoyed knowing too much about where her meat comes from. I have heard conversations between Diamond and Pippin on this subject. She is fond of saying, ‘Don’t tell me the details, dearest. Just bring it in and I’ll be happy to prepare it but I don’t want to know where you came by it.’ I know how she feels. For some reason, even though I am a stuffed Rabbit, I do not enjoy it when the Tooks have Rabbit stew or any other sort of food made from Rabbits. The smell upsets me.

“I hope it was that mean bull that almost killed me and Éowyn last month,” Freddy said vindictively.

“You were almost killed by a bull, Freddy?” Diamond asked as she put potatoes into the stew pot.

“Me and Owyn,” Freddy said around a mouthful of mushrooms. He calls his older sister Owyn nearly all the time even though her proper name is Éowyn. It reminds me of the way Pippin shortened his older sisters’ names. “We climbed over a fence to pet a baby calf and a nasty bull charged us.”

“It did?” Diamond asked with just the proper amount of surprise in her voice. “Whatever did you do?”

“We ran,” Freddy said. “I’m glad I didn’t have Errol with me then cause I fell down and that old bull almost got me. I hope we’re eating him in that stew.”

Diamond laughed. “Well, you can pretend we are if it makes you enjoy the stew more,” Diamond suggested.

“Aunt Di?”

“Yes, dear-heart?”

“If you make stew from a milk cow will there be milk in the stew too?” Freddy asked. I do enjoy the way he thinks. It is a bit of Pippin with a bit of Merry tossed in for good measure. It is rather like a good stew in fact. You have lots of different ingredients in there and it all makes for the perfect flavour. I am enjoying my time with Freddy.

***

“Freddy is asleep on the sofa,” Faramir smiled. “He’s in the parlour with the Thain’s Rabbit in his arms, Uncle Merry.” I hear Faramir’s serious voice just outside of the parlour door. Faramir and I have spent a night or two together over the years, but we never really became close. Faramir is less interested in stuffed Rabbit companions than some other small lads I could name. Pippin put me into Faramir’s bed when the child was two but we never really bonded. I think Pippin was slightly disappointed but I understood completely. Not everyone needs a stuffed Rabbit.

Merry snorted. “The Thain’s Rabbit? When exactly did Errol become titled?”

“It’s what everyone calls him,” Faramir said. “I hear the staff say it all the time.”

“The staff?” Merry frowned. “How do they know Errol?”

“They clean in Mama and Papa’s bedroom and they know not to move the Rabbit,” Faramir said. Faramir is nine but he speaks as though he were older. The lad is very bright and very serious for a small child. Pippin is often confused by it all but he is extremely proud of Faramir.

Merry laughed. “Do you mean to say that your father has given the staff instructions that involve that Rabbit?”

“I think Mum did that,” Faramir said. He is right. In fact it is Diamond’s fault that I am now referred to as ‘The Thain’s Rabbit’ for she very distinctly told the head of the household staff that ‘The Thain’s Rabbit’ was not to be moved from the top of the wardrobe by anyone save the Thain. This information has filtered throughout the Great Smials over the years and I am known to be quite important because of it.

“Well, I’ll just bet that your father was very pleased by that one,” Merry said still sounding amused. Sometimes if Merry thinks that Pippin has been embarrassed in some way he is very entertained by it. He does adore Pippin but he also enjoys this sort of nonsense. I lie still in Freddy’s arms and listen further. Eavesdropping is a hobby of mine and over the years it has been quite useful for learning information that I might not be told otherwise.

“I was pleased by what exactly?” Pippin asks. Apparently he has joined Faramir and Merry in the hall.

“Faramir was just telling me about Errol’s title,” Merry said. “I hear he’s come up in the world and is now the Thain’s Rabbit.”

“That was Diamond’s doing,” Pippin says in an embarrassed tone and I hear Merry laughing. “You should be in bed, Faramir,” Pippin says over the laughter. “Your mum was looking for you a bit ago. She sent me to find you.”

“Do I have to go to bed now? Dernhelm and Éowyn and I were going to go outside and count the stars.”

“You need to find your mum and see if she’ll agree to that,” Pippin said. I couldn’t hear Merry laughing now so I suppose his amusement has died down for the present.

“Do you think she’ll agree to it?’ Faramir asks.

“I suspect that she might allow it for an hour or so if you ask her nicely. She and your Aunt Estella are in the kitchen. Go in there and find out,” Pippin says and I hear the sound of Faramir running down the hall to find Diamond. I know that she will agree. She always does. She and Pippin are not very strict when it comes to the lad.

Freddy shifts slightly as Merry and Pippin come into the room. “Behold,” Merry whispers. “The Thain’s Rabbit and the Master’s son are asleep on the sofa.”

Pippin nudges Merry in the ribs and blushes slightly. He looks at me with a small, rather sad smile and then turns to Merry. I suppose this will be the talk that I have suspected might be coming. “Merry, I’d like to give Errol to Freddy,” Pippin says slowly.

“You what?” Merry is surprised.

“You heard me,” Pippin says.

“I heard you but you’ve caught me off my guard here, Pip,” Merry says. “I didn’t think anything or anyone could part you from that Rabbit.”

“I am far too old for a Rabbit and I have been for ages now,” Pippin says. “Besides, Freddy likes Errol. The two of them will be fine together.” His voice is calm and he looks as if he is doing nothing more than giving away the parlour sofa. I am impressed. Pippin is not usually this talented at hiding his true feelings. I know he regrets our parting.

“Pip, what if Freddy loses Errol? What if he ruins him? I mean you’ve had that Rabbit since you were a baby,” Merry says. “I would have thought that you might pass it on to Faramir.”

“Merry, Freddy will do a fine job of taking care of Errol. Besides, I don’t know exactly why but Errol does seem to be made of stronger stuff than most toys. He’s held up quite well and he survived my childhood so I am sure that Freddy’s won’t be too much of a strain on him.” Pippin smiled. “Faramir is not the sort of lad who needs a stuffed Rabbit but I think that Freddy is the perfect one to give Errol to.”

Merry looked over at Freddy and I for a moment and then he looked back at Pippin. He studied his younger cousin intently before speaking. “If you are quite sure then when we leave for Buckland, the Thain’s Rabbit will come with us on loan,” Merry said. “When Freddy tires of Errol or out-grows him then I will return Errol to you.”

“That will be splendid,” Pippin said smiling wider. “But if Freddy should have a lad of his own that he wants to give Errol to-“

“The Thain’s Rabbit belongs in the Great Smials, Peregrin,” Merry said seriously. “He is welcome to visit Buckland, but I am sure he will want to return home at some point.”

“I suspect he will,” Pippin said thoughtfully. He looked over at me for a second and then he left the room.

Merry came over to the sofa and sighed. “I don’t know how I know this, but I think this is all your doing, Errol. It seems that no matter how hard I try to avoid it, I always wind up with you.”

Merry is only partly correct. Some of this is my doing. I have enjoyed my week here at the Great Smials with Freddy. I was growing bored. It is difficult to be the stuffed Rabbit to the Thain but it is quite simple to be the stuffed Rabbit to the Master’s son. Children are less complicated and they also are willing to take you along on their adventures and tell you about their secrets and dreams. I have missed that. I think Pippin knows that I need to be with a child again. I will always miss my Pippin but Freddy will make a fine, new friend.

Merry gently lifts Freddy into his arms taking me along for the ride. As he carries us down the hall he says, “You may be ‘The Thain’s Rabbit’ around here but don’t be getting any ideas about becoming Master of Buckland or anything. That job is filled.” I like Merry. He is bossy, practical, a bit vain, and a terrible tease, but he is still the finest caretaker of any Hobbit I have ever known. Little Freddy is a lucky lad. Now, if only I can make my peace with Estella.

***
Minas Tirith in 1484

The King stands and comes forward with his arms open. He is an imposing sight. Such power and majesty I have not beheld in many long years. In spite of his regal bearing and formal attire it is his kind eyes that I notice. He bends down and wraps his arms around Merry and Pippin and he laughs. “My dear, dear, friends! It is so very good to see you again.”

“We’ve missed you too, Strider,” Pippin says hugging the man tightly.

“We’ve had a long journey but it wasn’t as difficult as the first time we came to Minas Tirith,” Merry says also hugging the King of Gondor.

The King pulls back from the pair and eyes them kindly. “I was very sorry to hear about King Éomer. He was a fine man.”

Merry wipes a tear from his cheek and smiles. “He died quietly among friends and family. It was what he wanted. I was very glad that we were able to make it to his side in time.”

Pippin reaches over and pats Merry’s shoulder. “It has been a long journey but we are very glad to be here with you again, Strider.”

“And Minas Tirith shall be glad to hear of your return,” Aragorn smiled.

“And Merry’s too I suspect,” Pippin grinned.

“He meant both of us,” Merry says tartly. Pippin is obviously trying to lighten the mood a bit.

“Well, I am the Ernil i Pheriannath, you know,” Pippin reminds him.

“Then you are indeed the oldest Prince of the Halflings that there has ever been, Peregrin,” Merry smirks.

“I see that in spite of the passing years nothing has changed between the two of you,” Aragorn laughs.

“I see our guests have arrived,” a lovely female voice says and suddenly I am startled beyond any reasonable thought. I see her from my place in Pippin’s pack. Arwen!

“Your Ladyship,” Pippin grins, turning to face her and stealing my view. He bows and I take that opportunity to slide out of his pack. I had worked my way to the top over the past few days and my head was already sticking out anyway.

“Oh, my,” Arwen says, bending to pick me up. She starts to hand me back to Pippin and then she recognizes me and she pulls me close to her so that she might be sure. “Pippin, where did you get this Rabbit?” she asks unable to take her eyes from me.

“It’s a long story but the shorter version of it is that an Aunt of mine gave it to me for her birthday when I was ten,” Merry says. “I was too old for such nonsense as stuffed Rabbits and Pippin was only a baby. He wanted the Rabbit for some reason and so I gave it to him. He’s had it since, with the exception of the time the Rabbit spent in the company of my youngest child, Fredegar. Then my son gave the Rabbit to his oldest child for a time but that didn’t seem to work out.” Merry is, once again understating the situation.

“Then Merry kept him for a time for reasons that I have yet to hear properly explained,” Pippin broke in arching an eyebrow.

“I simply forgot to return it,” Merry says. “Besides, I did think that you were a bit old for a stuffed Rabbit by that time, Peregrin.”

“I doubt that one can ever grow too old for companionship, even if that companion is a stuffed Rabbit,” Arwen said softly. Her wisdom, I know, comes from her father who is almost as imposing as Merry’s wife Estella was.

Pippin smiles brightly at her and nods. He then scowls at Merry. “Besides, you did say that you planned to return him once Fred had out-grown him.”

“And it was you who said that if Fred decided to give the Rabbit to one of his children, which he did, that it was fine with you,” Merry reminds Pippin. Merry does have a very sharp mind and he can always recall details that Pippin chooses to ignore.

“All the same, you had him for a very long time,” Pippin frowns. He then turns to Arwen who is still holding me, and he smiles a bit shyly. “I wasn’t intending on bringing him with me,” Pippin says in an embarrassed tone. “But Merry brought the Rabbit back to me just before we were to leave on our journey. I guess you could say it was Merry’s idea to bring him.”

Arwen looks away from me now and over at Merry and Pippin. She is suppressing a giggle.

“I returned him to you,” Merry says affronted. “You put him in your pack. It is your Rabbit after all and it was your idea to bring him.”

The King looks vastly amused. I noticed that the eyes of everyone in the entire throne room are on us now. As is often the case, when I travel with Pippin we tend to draw attention. I suppose this time it is my fault for sliding out of the pack but I simply couldn’t allow an old friend to pass me unnoticed. I have not seen Arwen in forever and with Elves forever is an entirely possible length of time.

“I gave him to Freddy,” Pippin says.

“Freddy is also too old for stuffed Rabbits,” Merry says. “I returned him to you just as I promised all those years ago.” They are bickering like they sometimes do but I have eyes only for Arwen.

“How in the name of all wonder did you become a Shire Rabbit?” she asks me. It is a very good question and a very interesting tale. She strokes my ears and smiles at me.

“You know this Rabbit?” Merry asks in surprise, breaking off the bickering. He and Pippin are now looking up at Arwen.

“I do indeed,” she smiles. “My Ada gave him to me when I was a very little girl. I thought that he was lost but I see instead that he was merely travelling a bit.” She bends down to them and she is still stroking my ears tenderly.

“Errol can’t be that old!” Pippin blurts out.

Awen laughs as Pippin blushes realizing what he has just said. “Well, I mean, he’s a stuffed Rabbit. He can’t have lasted all those years and still look so, well, so new. He never seems to wear like other toys do and he’s been through my rather adventurous childhood and then through Merry’s son’s childhood yet he’s held up quite well. Still I hardly think that it would be possible for him to have been your Rabbit too,” Pippin says. He sounds slightly territorial as he often does when speaking about me or Merry. As far as Pippin is concerned I can’t possibly have belonged to anyone before I was in his company.

Arwen smiles. “See the small tag.” She holds me over to Pippin and extends the tag, which he has never bothered to read in all these long years. I suspect that is because he has always regarded me as more than a toy. The tag does not fit with his ideas about me.

He leans forward and looks intently at it squinting slightly. His eyes are not what they once were but they are still keen enough for close reading. Merry is leaning over and looking also. “What does it say, Pip?” he asks.

“How should I know? It’s,” Pippin pauses and then looks up at Arwen and me in amazement. “It’s Elvish!”

Arwen nods.

“Errol is your Rabbit then?” Pippin asks looking like he has just lost his dearest friend. Well, his dearest stuffed friend at least.

“He was my Rabbit a very long time ago,” Arwen smiles. She kneels before Pippin and then looks down at me. “He is your Rabbit now and I would not part him from you. My time with him is long past and though it is very good to see him again, he is not mine any longer.”

Pippin looks at her with relief and she hands me back to him. “It’s only that I have grown used to Errol being mine,” he says. “I know it is also past the time for this Hobbit to have a stuffed Rabbit but I do think that he belongs with me for a while yet.” He looks down at me as if seeking my approval. Merry reaches over and places a hand on Pippin’s shoulder.

“Exactly my thoughts,” Merry says. “Which is precisely why I returned him to you when I did.”

Pippin snorts. “I knew you’d find a way to take credit for this.”

“However he came to be here, I am very pleased,” Arwen says diplomatically.

“May I ask what his name was when you had him?” Pippin ventures. I do think he has always wondered if he and Merry were correct in calling me Errol.

Arwen smiles and leans over to whisper in Pippin’s ear. I can just make out her lovely voice saying my long-ago name as Pippin listens. She is also kind enough to translate for him, as he does not understand the meaning. “Really?”

“Yes, that was his name,” she says.

He looks at me. “That certainly seems to suit him but I don’t think that I could learn to call him that.”

“I actually prefer Errol now that I hear it,” Arwen says. I agree with her completely on this though it was nice to hear my original name again if only in a whispered tone.

“What was his name, Pip?” Merry asks.

Pippin smiles mysteriously. I suspect that he will tell Merry later but not just yet, as the secret is far too delicious not to keep for a while longer. The King does not ask and I am surprised by his restraint, but then he is a King after all.

“Well?” Merry prods.

“His name is Errol,” Pippin says. “Now, if you’ve no more foolish questions, Meriadoc I’d like to find out if Strider has anything prepared for luncheon. I’m hungry.”

“ Fine,” Merry agrees giving the King a long suffering look and then sighing deeply. “I have never been one to delay a meal. I am more than ready to fill up my corners. I am very sure that there is an excellent story behind all of this but it can wait until I am properly fed.” He then glances at me and then mutters softly, “An Elvish stuffed Rabbit.”

And so I am. But that is another story for another time and just now is not that time.

***
1499 The Shire


He is stunned to see me again for I am like some ghost returned to him from a past that he remembers fondly. He runs his fingers through my fur reverently and a small, sad smile forms on his lips. He looks down at the letter again and reads the words that I know by heart. I was present when they were written.

Dear Faramir,

I know that I wrote to you of your father’s passing some years ago and at that time I sent most of his possessions to you. I am sorry to have kept this one for so long but both Arwen and I were unsure as to if we should return it. I will not go into the details here. Perhaps if we are able to meet in the not too distant future I will have a story to tell you then. For the present, I am sending this letter and this Rabbit back to your keeping. After considerable thought on the matter it was decided that this is indeed the property of the Tooks.
.

Faramir’s reading is interrupted by a small Hobbit lad of no more than four years. The little lad has remarkable green eyes, light auburn curls and a pointed nose. He runs to Faramir and reaches his hands up so that he might be picked up and held. Faramir does not disappoint the lad. He lifts him into his arms and puts the letter on the table near one of my feet.

“Papa!” the child crows. This surprises me, for the child is so very young and Faramir is getting on in years. I watch him hold the child tenderly as his own father once held him.

“My darling child,” Faramir smiles and he tweaks the end of the little lad’s nose. “What are you doing in my office at this time of day?”

“Hiding,” the child whispers.

“From whom?” Faramir asks, amused.

The child giggles. “Everyone,” he says and then he reaches out toward me and laughs. It is a glorious sound and it transports me back to my Pippin’s childhood. “Bunny!”

“Yes,” Faramir says.

“Can I haf him?” the four-year-old Took asks.

Faramir studies me and then looks at the little child in his arms. “I suppose you are the only member of this family that should have him,” he says. “This is-“

“Errol!” the child interrupts and reaches for me with both hands.

Faramir doesn’t question how the child might know my name, he just hands me to the little lad. The child squeezes me tightly and says, “There you are! Where haf you been? I was waiting.”

Tooks just seem to know things. That much hasn’t changed. This little imp is most assuredly a Took. His name is Peregrin after his grandfather whom he never met but whom he mirrors in so many ways that I sometimes forget that he is the second Peregrin rather than the first one. He is that happy occurrence in a Hobbit’s life; the child who comes very late and is completely unexpected. Faramir and Goldilocks were long past the age when most Hobbits have children when this dear child made his appearance. He is full of laughter and sunshine and surprises all his own. I am home again here in the Shire in the arms of a child who loves me.


The End


Errol with assistance from Grey_wonderer 06/25/2006





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List